Are you a good person?

thack45

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 08:35 pm
@Arjuna,
When it is ever decided what a good person is, I will agree that I am not one of them.
Arjuna

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 08:37 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

What other functions has a watch except to tell time? We can, as I pointed out, use it in other capacities, but that is what it was manufactured to do, and what people want it to do. Watches have no "final purpose" whatever that may be. If you think they do, state it.

You can use a watch to measure a person's heart rate. They can also be decorative.

Why does the second hand move around in a circle? This question has two meanings. I could be asking what causes the movement? then the answer can be understood from examining the mechanism.

If I meant for what purpose? then the answer is in how this accomplishes the purpose of the watch. This is the final cause.

An event has a cause. I don't think an object can have one.

kennethamy wrote:

We commend a good watch for having the characteristics that make a watch commendable, chief among which is keeping accurate time. But we know that because the chief function of a watch is to keep accurate time. Now there are generally agreed on characteristics of people that we think make them commendable. We divide these into virtues and talents. A virtue would be honesty. A talent would be intelligence. We think that virtues are somehow up to the individual himself, who develop them; talents are something the individual is born with. Together, they make the individual a good individual, or commendable or, praiseworthy. But why these particular virtues are those that make a person commendable or praiseworthy is a different issue.
Right. At this point we're talking about a generic person. A real person is partly generic and partly unique. The unique part can't be measured against any standard for functionality. So when I judge someone, I'm only focusing on the generic aspect.

So when I judge Stalin, I'm using standards that apply to all humans. At this point if all humans were robots, it wouldn't make much difference in my judging process. But if all humans were robots, none of them could be held responsible for their actions.

So what is it that we're really judging?
Pemerson

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 08:37 pm
By now, you be good. Anybody tell you that as they're leaving, or hanging up the phone? Half the time we don't know what we're even saying.

Sure, I'm a good person. Because I'm not a bad person.
0 Replies

Arjuna

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 08:39 pm
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:

When it is ever decided what a good person is, I will agree that I am not one of them.
You always make good posts, though.
thack45

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 08:58 pm
@Arjuna,
That is most certainly debatable, but thank you.

*Edit*
Actually, I've posted some ridiculous things - hopefully that doesn't make me a bad person. Shocked

Laughing
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 10:05 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna wrote:

HexHammer wrote:

A person doing good deeds, that be long term and at times has to do bad to reach the goal.

Some say the only things that endure over time come from love.
Usually love is blind and foolish, naive and will cause great harm in it's ignorence.

Some say it's love to give to the poor, but that contradicts the saying "give a man a fish, and you can feed him the rest of his life, but teach him how to fish, and he can feed himself and his kin".
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 11:37 pm
Watches...

watches..
so many reasons people strap them to their wrists..
You have never, obviously, ever worked at a jewelry store.
Digital watches. Cheap. Exact. A snapshot, time, the moment.

An actual, real, honest to goodness watch is.. what is to come, it's not just a moment but a glimpse of the now and a hint, a pause, an approximation of what is to come. One look and you know now, this minute, what time it is and how long it is till the wait is over.

But, a watch is not just a time piece, No, It is a statement. Hardware that will show he world who you are. Do you take a lickin' and still keep on tickin' or are you the kind who could stop a clock. A watch, a timepiece, is a pronouncement, regardless of whether you wear a useless, jewel encrusted indecipherable beautiful arm band or a fully functioning multi-time zone, waterproof behemoth, a watch is never just a watch.
I never wear one though. I've killed every one I've ever worn.
Razzleg

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 12:35 am
@Ceili,
this has been my favorite post so far in this thread. nice.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 12:38 am
Since we're really big on watches, is it a good watch just because it tells time, lasts forever, and raises your self esteem? Suppose your perfect little wrist watch gnaws your hand off at the wrist. That is not a good watch.
GoshisDead

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 12:46 am
@Arjuna,
Arjuna wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

There but for fortune goes you or I? I think not, in Stalin's case. I would never have been in his shoes at all, even were I born to his parents in his stead. One, I was either autistic or autistic's cousin. Two, morbidly shy. Three, unable to hold a conversation with anybody until well past the turning age. Therefore, if it would have been me, history would have no Stalin, but some other figure in his stead.
Me too. I've suspected that I have some kind of undiagnosed brain damage. If everybody was like me, we'd still be in the stone-age.

Isn't a mental deficiency of some sort a requisite for posting here?
kennethamy

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 07:29 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Since we're really big on watches, is it a good watch just because it tells time, lasts forever, and raises your self esteem? Suppose your perfect little wrist watch gnaws your hand off at the wrist. That is not a good watch.

Oh, it may very well be a good watch. But not a good watch to wear on your wrist. A large grandfather's clock may be an excellent clock, but not for carrying around with you. A good watch need not be a good wrist watch, and certainly is not if you lose your hand wearing it.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 08:14 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer (what an interesting name) I agree with you about doctors assisting in ending pain by dying patients. Jack Kevorkian was right and he went to prison for it.

BBB

Jack Kevorkian is an American pathologist, right-to-die activist, painter, composer, and instrumentalist. He is best-known for publicly championing a terminal patient's right to die via physician-assisted suicide; he claims to have assisted at least 130 patients to that end. He famously said that "dying is not a crime."

Beginning in 1999 Kevorkian served eight years of a 10-to-25-year prison sentence for second-degree murder. He was released on parole on June 1, 2007, on condition that he would not offer suicide advice to any other person.

An oil painter and a jazz musician, Kevorkian has marketed limited quantities of his visual and musical artwork to the public.

0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 08:19 am
@Arjuna,
Arjuna, Your posting style is so annoying. Why? Because you have a constant pattern of diverting a topic from the original theme. In this case, you've done it with your own topic, which was about being a good person or not. How are watches part of being a good or bad person? Please spare us your diversions.

BBB
kennethamy

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 08:33 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

Arjuna, Your posting style is so annoying. Why? Because you have a constant pattern of diverting a topic from the original theme. In this case, you've done it with your own topic, which was about being a good person or not. How are watches part of being a good or bad person? Please spare us your diversions.

BBB

It is part of being a good anything, though, and that is part of being a good person.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 08:37 am
i'm a good person, but a bad human being
kennethamy

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 08:50 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

i'm a good person, but a bad human being

Well, human being is a biological category, but person is a moral and legal category, so I guess that is quite possible. Of course, it is not in your hands whether you are a bad human being. You may be born with some biological defect. But it is up to you whether you are a good person, since your moral behavior is up to you.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 11:57 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I guess your half side comment is in itself a diversion manoeuvre, and one without support...
0 Replies

Telamon

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 10:27 pm
I always liked the phrase:
“There is no such thing as good or evil, only a difference in opinion.”
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 10:32 pm
@Arjuna,
Quote:
Are you a good person?
I am wonderful.