Why oh why is the sky blue?

annifa

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 05:11 am
The sky, blueness..... why?

...dnt give me none o tha reflecting off the sea rubbish, why is the sea blue??

why not pink??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,136 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Monger

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 05:17 am
Blue light gets scattered around much more than all the other colors from the sun, which makes the sky appear blue. Wink

That atmospheric effect is known as Raleigh scattering.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 05:24 am
The sea is blue because of reflection from the sky. Don't know who'd say the other way round.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 05:24 am
once upon a time, there was a huge expanse of clearish stuff and no one knew where it was. All over the world people were falling into this stuff and dying - and no one new how to stop it. FINALLY a small group of kids got together, colored up alllll the sheets of white paper they could find (it was sooo long ago though, that they didn't have any crayons, so they had to use daisies & grass together to get the 'blue' color). Well, these children banged drums and sent out smoke signals (where the HELL were the parents while they were playing with fire????) to let allll the other kiddies around the world know what they were doing. All around the world the other kiddies did the same thing. when they all had stacks and stacks and stacks of this blue paper (it was really papayrus I think) they're parents got mad and made them throw it away - the kids were sad, they didn't think they had enough....but they did. Anyway, they did the drum banging and sent the smoke signals and alll the other kids got the word. They tossed their blue papyruses into any of that clear stuff they could find. Overtime, that clear stuff became known as 'water' and it had soaked up alllll the bluishness off of the papyrus - thusly, the 'seas and oceans' became blue. However, there was this one group....about halfway around the world from the original group of kids who decided to go against they grain, and they rubbed soot and coal and burned food on the papyrus and tossed it into the clear stuff - that became what we know today as the black sea.

Now, as for the sky being blue...it's a a reflection of all the sadness (the blue mood) that all the fishes and sea mammals and other sea life forms are feeling because they liked to be able to see clear from the bottom of the oceans and seas straight through the top, but they can't anymore because all the kiddies 'blued' it up....making it therefore translucent and sometimes opaque and destroying they vision all the sea animals used to have (straight through to the top of the water).
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 05:46 am
Oh my!
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 06:49 am
Damn! I stand corrected.
0 Replies

annifa

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 07:11 am
Wilso said:

Quote:
The sea is blue because of reflection from the sky. Don't know who'd say the other way round.

I would say t'other way round. much more interesting. Makes much better story about kiddies and blue paper stuff. hear hear!!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 10:06 am
'cause 400 kazillion people agree,
the sky is blue because it is.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 10:14 am
annifa wrote:

I would say t'other way round. much more interesting. Makes much better story about kiddies and blue paper stuff. hear hear!!

*Gets into Bad French Movie actress mode*

Who is to say that the sky is blue? Sky is subjective; blue is subjective; the sky being blue is thus subjective. What's to say that blue is not green, green is not yellow, and yellow is not blue? What if the whole world were colourblind, and thus we always read each colour wrong? What is colour anyway?

We have been couped up into believing in state-supported 'colours.' Blue, if anything, is a state of mind. Walk forth into the light of knowledge, and find out what 'blue' really means to you.

*Rapturous applause, sixteen curtain calls, nomination for the Oscar for best Foreign movie, etc, etc.*
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 01:55 pm
You are all wrong. My grandfather told me that the color switch was stuck and no one has been brave enought to go up there and fix it.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 01:58 pm
LOL! Could that be true?

I move that we choose someone to go up there and change that godforesaken colour switch!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 02:01 pm
God is a tarheel I thought everyone knew that.
0 Replies

Shajahan

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 04:14 am
Oh my, what all reasons came up.... the kids and the blue stuff makes a good reading.... probalbly, it can be told to kids who long for such lovely stories.......

(the man has got the ability to think laterally too.......)
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 04:50 am
What planet are you all on? Around here the ocean isn't blue at all, it's more of a green than anything. Some days it's as black as your hat, but mostly, as someone once said, it's a great lot of green goo.

And the sky isn't blue either, today it is, but I've seen it go as white as T Williams' paper and as clear as Onxyelle's ancient one. Some mornings pink and some mornings red and orange and as green as your old man's overcoat. (That's usually right before the hurricane.)

Even at night the sky's not black, not really black as in coal black or Roberta's cat black.

On my building's rooftop,
gazing out over the city,
the sky is oily water,
full of smears of gray and grey,
a patch of black floats by several slate islands
and there,
if you wait,
signaling signaling to us from the universe,
dimmed by the city
and by our lack of looking up,
the stars
peek in through the gloom.

And I'm not being poetic, this is the way it really looks here.
Joe
0 Replies

annifa

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 06:51 am
Agree very much with the crazy french actress.. have thought that myself only was unable to word it so well! The oscar is yours
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 07:02 am
Shajahan wrote:

(the man has got the ability to think laterally too.......)

oh dear me, I am no man Surprised
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 07:10 am
annifa wrote:
Agree very much with the crazy french actress.. have thought that myself only was unable to word it so well! The oscar is yours

Yay! Merci beaucoup. I dedicate this to all the people here, and Laclos, and the healing power of cheese, and the government of Nicaragua, and.... Laughing

(And I prefer the adjective 'creative' to 'crazy,' though both are acceptable Laughing. )
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 08:34 pm
No, you are no man, O, but I have to tell you this, if you haven't polished that 'why is the sky blue' story into a children' book (just think about the illustrations!!!) by the end of next year........... I'll be mad at you.

Joe
0 Replies

annifa

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 05:45 am
Polished? it needs no polishing. tis perfectly shiny as it is.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 09:32 am
Pay attention, onyxelle. Joe has published children's stories.

(oops, did I give away a secret, Joe? sorry...can't help bragging on my friends)
0 Replies