Do you Support Craigslist Pulling the Adult Services Ads?

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 07:53 pm
So many State AG's have been in a tizzy for a couple of years over these ads, in large part because there is no denighing that underaged prostitutes have been using these ads to find clients. Many lawsuits have been threatened, and I think a few filed. But this is no slam dunk good idea

A WP polls find the pubic mixed about even:
http://views.washingtonpost.com/post-user-polls/2010/09/do-you-agree-with-craigslists-decision.html?hpid=moreheadlines

And a NYT's piece has the following

Quote:
Since blocking access to the ads as the Labor Day weekend began — and suspending a revenue stream that could bring in an estimated $44 million this year — Craigslist has refused to discuss its motivations. But using the word “censored” suggests that the increasingly combative company is trying to draw attention to its fight with state attorneys general over sex ads and to issues of free speech on the Internet.

The law has been on Craigslist’s side. The federal Communications Decency Act protects Web sites against liability for what their users post on the sites. And last year, the efforts of attorneys general were stymied when a federal judge blocked South Carolina’s attorney general from prosecuting Craigslist executives for listings that resulted in prostitution arrests.

“It certainly appears to be a statement about how they feel about being judged in the court of public opinion,” said Thomas R. Burke, a First Amendment lawyer at Davis Wright Tremaine who specializes in Internet law and does not work for Craigslist. “It’s certainly the law that they’re not liable for it, but it’s another matter if the attorneys general are saying change your ways.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/06/technology/06craigslist.html?hp

What do you think? Should this ad section stay gone?

My vote is no, I am generally for freedom, net freedom, and I think Craigslist has done more than anything else in my lifetime to promote the best interests of sex workers. It is also a one stop shop for police to use to catch up to under-aged sex workers, should they choose to do so.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,597 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Miller

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 10:53 am
I'm against. First it's the sex ads, then what it'll be? Confused
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 11:01 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

denighing

Is this a real word?
Miller

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 11:02 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

denighing

Is this a real word?

What's a "real'"word? Drunk
contrex

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 12:01 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

What's a "real'"word? Drunk

Well, "deny" is one.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 12:52 pm
I think it was a stupid move.

First, it absolutely isn't going to stop prostitution. Craigslist gave these women and men a safe way to advertise their services instead of working the streets and bars and such. It most likely saved a bunch of people from having to work with a pimp/agency who took a chunk of their money.

But mostly it provided a way to track down clients if a girl went missing.

If Joe College (whatever that creep's name was) had picked up a girl on the street and killed her he'd be walking around free right now.
engineer

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 01:43 pm
@boomerang,
I agree. The more transparent the marketplace is, the safer it is. Now that everyone knows how effective net advertising is, it can just move overseas if you ban it from Craigslist. The Wikileaks guy could set up a secure server where you search by zip code in no time flat.
0 Replies