Proverbs

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 11:14 am
What does "Refrain from enumeration the denta of gratuitous members of the equidae family" mean?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,723 • Replies: 4
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 11:30 am
@agibson7,
agibson7 wrote:
What does "Refrain from enumeration the denta of gratuitous members of the equidae family" mean?

It's a painfully clumsy rephrasing of the classic "don't look a gift-horse in the mouth".

People used to check the teeth of a horse before buying it (to check for health). But if someone gives you a horse (as a gift), then it would be considered rude to check it's health. Therefor, "don't look a gift-horse in the mouth".
0 Replies

NoOne phil

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 02:23 pm
@agibson7,
agibson7 wrote:

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
Why?

Good show rose--I did not even read your answer.
I don't know why the question was asked.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 03:10 pm
Quote:
Something like this: the value of a horse is related it its age - i.e., a younger horse is more valuable than an older horse.

You can determine the relative age of a horse by inspecting its teeth.
Back in the day, a horse was commonly given as a gift.

If a man received a horse as a gift, and then inspected inside its mouth, he was trying to assess the value of the gift he received. So, the saying means that you should not assess the value of any gift that you receive; rather you should be thankful for the thoughtfulness of the gift-giver.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_does_the_expression_Don't_look_the_gift_horse_in_the_mouth_come_from
NoOne phil

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 03:17 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Perhaps that is true, however one would have to be ignorant of The Trojan Horse, so I still don't see the wisdom there at all.
0 Replies