Domain switcheroo

sozobe

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 09:58 am
I'm like 99.9% sure this can happen but would love to get some feedback...

OK so our local PTO has a website. The guy who has been the webmaster is evidently not doing a good job. Someone asked me if I could take over. Well... depends on how he's made his website. There's nothing obvious on the site. I said that if I had passwords et al I could look around and tell them.

It's really retro and basic. I slapped together something on SiteKreator to show them what sorts of things are available there. They liked it a lot.

So what they want right now is for me to make a site on SiteKreator and then transfer the current domain ("www.ourlocalpto.net") to this new site. The old site would wither and die. Doesn't have to be preserved.

I've added domains to SiteKreator sites but they've not been attached to other websites before. Is this complicated or not a big deal?

(Yes I can burrow into SiteKreator and GoDaddy -- the domain is through GoDaddy, I did a whois earlier -- and figure this all out. I've done a lot of burrowing already today though and my eyes are kind of crossing so I'm giving this a go.)

Thanks!

View best answer, chosen by sozobe
roger

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 01:53 pm
I'll bump it up so somebody smart might see it.
sozobe

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 01:55 pm
@roger,
Well obviously someone smart has seen it.

But thanks for bumping it up anyway, you smartie you. (It's kind of esoteric, haven't seen most of the people who could answer this in their sleep on the board today.)
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 02:07 pm
Do you have the GoDaddy registration / login info, or are you thinking the current web person won't give it to you?

I think you'll need that in order to log-on and change the address to which the ourlocalpto.org points.
sozobe

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 02:23 pm
@squinney,
I don't have the GoDaddy info yet, but I'm assuming for these purposes that I would get it, and then be able to mess around on GoDaddy. (If the guy doesn't want to give up the info then we'd have to start from scratch, with an all-new domain. Which we can do.)

Right, that makes sense. I think that'd work.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 02:44 pm
Right. If he will give you the registration info to log onto wherever he registered the domain name, you can change the nameserver to the one site kreator gave you when you built the new sample site.

If he won't give that info to you, you will need to register a new name and put the site kreator provided nameserver in the designated box when you register the new name on Go Daddy.

Pretty sure it's the nameserver info you need.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 03:49 pm
DNS info, yes. I did this for my dad's account years ago, I'm gonna have to do it for a company I'm blogging for, so I'm a tad interested in the step by step m'self, but I seem to recall it was not a huge deal to do the switch.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 03:53 pm
Listening - it's time for dummy to do my own site; I know I've said this before.
I remembered about Sitekreator from Soz' posts before, but had forgotten about GoDaddy.
0 Replies

SiteKreator
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2010 02:44 am
@sozobe,
Sozobe, the process is essentially no different from pointing a fresh domain to a SiteKreator site.

You say you've done that before, so that should say enough for you Wink

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact our support team at support [at] sitekreator [cot] com. They'll be glad to help you out.

Rene
Community Manager SiteKreator
roger

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2010 03:07 am
@SiteKreator,
Cool. I knew there was a reason for bumping this up.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2010 03:12 am
Cool from here too.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2010 04:58 am
@SiteKreator,
Hey thanks!

I spent about half an hour with a SiteKreator guy in live chat yesterday about something else, as I told him at the time, your help desk is reliably actually helpful! And grammatical and friendly and everything.

OK great, I'm hopeful that we can get the info re: the domain out of the old webmaster and go from there.

Thanks all!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2010 08:42 am
@sozobe,
Basically just a few things need to happen, if I'm understanding the situation correctly.

1. You need to make sure that you're organization has ownership of the domain registration. You should probably be set up as the technical contact.
2. Check the authoritative name servers for the domain. If you have control of the name server, then you can change the host records to point to your SiteKreator site. If you do not have control of the name server, you can change the authoritative name server and then create the appropriate host records.
sozobe

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2010 08:52 am
@DrewDad,
Right, I think you have it.

Meanwhile, the old webmaster is being accommodating (thank you, old webmaster) and we're starting to coordinate the switch.

The problem right now is that he doesn't want to hand over his GoDaddy account because he handles several different websites from that account. I said that I could just give him the information needed to point to the new SiteKreator site and he could do it... that'd be a short-term solution though since he would still need to renew, etc.

He has written to GoDaddy asking if he can create a new account for me to have access to the "www.ourlocalpto.net" domain. Any ideas thereof? (GoDaddy may well write back with a solution, just putting it to you smart folks in case.)

J
engineer

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2010 09:54 am
@sozobe,
If I understand the problem correctly and that's a big if, you could change the existing homepage to the code below where you put the new URL in. Whenever someone goes to the old site name, it would automatically redirect to the new one.

Code:<html>
<head>
<title>Your Page Title</title>
<meta http-equiv="REFRESH" content="0;url=http://www.the-domain-you-want-to-redirect-to.com"></HEAD>
<BODY>
Optional page text here.
</BODY>
</HTML>
sozobe

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2010 10:02 am
@engineer,
Oh hey. That might be a nice short-term solution.

I think the main problem there would be that I also want the address that appears when you have the page open to be the "right" one.

As in, right now it would be that you type in "www.ourlocalpto.net" and get the old site.

The new site is "www.sitekreator.com/ourlocalpto". (Hopefully it's clear that I'm making up the urls, it's not actually "ourlocalpto.net.")

The way I understand you, if I made this switch, people would type in "www.ourlocalpto.net" and would be redirected to "www.sitekreator.com/ourlocalpto". But ""www.sitekreator.com/ourlocalpto" would be what people see in the address bar.

No?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 08:38 am
Update, this has gone swimmingly. I got control of the domain from the old webmaster (he had it switched to my GoDaddy account, it was more convenient that I already had an account and the old domain was through GoDaddy, wasn't much of a problem), and I just did the pointing a couple of days ago and that was fine. (Always makes me nervous but SiteKreator has lovely tutorials, thanks SiteKreator.) (By the way, in case the actual SiteKreator person is reading this, the tutorial is a bit out of date and the screenshots don't align with what I was actually seeing on GoDaddy, it was close enough that I figured it out though.)
jespah

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 08:49 am
@sozobe,
I'm probably going to be doing the same soon for one of my clients.
0 Replies

santhan

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2012 06:34 am
When ever a transaction being made for taking over a business, on must be aware about the entire things. If someone does a take over through correct procedure procedure, he/she might have received a email stating everything about the necessary codes and passwords. I think I am right, Because when I did it with my friend i received so for.
0 Replies

Isabela

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 02:34 pm
@sozobe,
You need the login information of godaddy. then you could easily transfer the website.
0 Replies