TSA's New Enhanced Patdowns and body scanners

Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 04:09 pm
So I was traveling last week and unfortunately missed out of the "Enhanced Patdowns" that began this week.

The new technique involves screeners sliding their hands over nearly every inch of a passenger's body and, unlike existing techniques that require screeners to use the backs of their hands on sensitive areas, screeners use their palms for the entire search. The new procedure, in general, is described as being more aggressive and invasive than the current one.

The full body scanners produce fairly detailed images of passengers' naked bodies. Although they are viewed by agents located elsewhere. What I observed in my travels was that they (not so randomly) selected certain individuals to go through the full body scanner and if you didn't want to - then you were subjected to a patdown - now the patdown is more invasive.

So do you have a problem with either of these? I didn't at first, but for some reason it really would bother me if my children had to be searched or full body scanned.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,464 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 04:10 pm
@Linkat,
Oh - and I was not selected on any part of my trip to experience the full body scan. It was a bit obvious who they did select though.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 04:16 pm
@Linkat,
We went through this at Oakland three weeks ago on the way to NY - the system was really new and they were still trying it out. They didn't pat down my whole body, but they did do the waist and leg region.

The whole thing was a giant ******* pain in the ass, silly, stupid, and unhelpful. And it took forever. I have no confidence that it will either stop or deter a terrorist; it certainly wouldn't keep ME from getting something onto a plane... just takes a little pre-planning.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 04:24 pm
Yeah. If it's too far to drive, I'm just not going.

I drove to Las Angeles a few years ago. Beat me to death, but I think it wasn't a bad choice. Figure almost four hours driving to the airport in Albuquerque, add the need to check in at least an hour early, and I would have invested about 1/3 of the time involved in driving. I could stop for lunch whenever and wherever I chose, and I had total control over who I sat next to.

Oh, I didn't have to put up with a disgruntled flight attendant getting mouthy on the mike and bailing out by way of the emergency exit chute.
Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 04:31 pm
@roger,
Ah, speaking of the flight attendant - so I have my ear plugs in and the flight attendant comes with drinks and crap. I try to eat, pee and p--- prior to flying so I can just sit my butt down and read and/or watch the horrible movie.

Any hoot - I know what he is going to ask so without removing my plugs I simply say no thank you. He goes on saying something so I must remove the plugs. He says I won't bite - as you can imagine (especially as he resembled said disgruntled flight attendant) it took all my power not to say some sarcastic remark - instead I took the high road and simply said - even so I am still ok.
roger

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 05:04 pm
@Linkat,
Oh, that! I recall crossing most of the country on SW Airlines. No food, of course, but here comes the attendent with a basket of packaged peanuts. He's waving one around by the edge of the package like he's offering a treat to a pack of trained sea lions. I ignored him. To stay on topic, I should probably say I was lucky he didn't turn me in to TSA for being disgruntled and uncooperative.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2010 10:52 am
From the airports to the streets?

As an antiterror measure, the US government has deployed mobile X-ray technology to randomly scan cars and trucks. But the measure is riling privacy proponents.

Full story at the link.

0 Replies