help me!!!!!

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 07:26 pm
Suppose the price of electricity changes depending on the time of day, weather conditions, outside demands, and other factors. Also, the quantity of electricity in the electrical grid changes as generators go on/off-line, solar panels get more or less daylight, etc. Suppose that at a certain time the price for electricity is .001304 $/KW, the price is decreasing at a rate of .00008 $/KW/min, the quantity of electricity produced and sold is 5 million KW and the quantity is increasing by 20,000 KW/min. Estimate the revenue for the electrical company for this minute and find out how revenue is changing.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 654 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 07:45 pm
Hmm, when faced with such a challenging math problem, I'd probably go to a message board and scream Help me!!!!! too. My sympathies.

Welcome to A2K. One of our math wizards should be along to help anytime now.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 04:28 pm
moon,

I assume you are in an Algebra II class (correct me if I am wrong so I can come at this on the right level).

The first thing I would do to solve this is to set up functions that represent the three quatities involved.

If you start this process, I will tell you if you are going the right direction. There is a trick here you will need to know to finish this problem - but I will help you with that when you get there.

Please write three functions for the values involved:
... the price of electricity at a given minute
... the the about of electriity used at a given minute
... the revenue per minute at a given minute.
0 Replies