I hate to be woken by a fly

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 09:58 pm
I understand that I am spoiled. Many millions, billions, live with hellaciously more than a fly in a room. Consider this as perspective from the spoiled side, and that I know I'm speaking as potentially fly shocked.
I'm presently fly avoidant in my own place. I'd prefer a cub bear.

Flies love me. Horsefly bites, I go into weltville. Not to mention agitated.

So, Diane and I were at the grocery store today, having a snack. Me, I had bought a can of Jemex coconut pineapple and poured it on ice cubes instead of the regular offerings at the 'fountain'; dunno what she was drinking. This was all near the produce section. Flies sent us away, mid good conversation.

A fly followed me to the check out stand. I mentioned it to the checker (the brat one), no luck.

I suppose I should add the fly was there before I opened the coconut pineapple drink

I figure it's hard with a store opening big doors often.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,320 • Replies: 22
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 11:29 pm
@ossobuco,
She didnt't charge for it, did she?

I'm assuming they came in with the produce, by the way. Or at least the larva.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 11:39 pm
@roger,
Yes, that makes sense. Swat.

How do you deal with it? Swat.

roger

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 11:42 pm
@ossobuco,
This year, I've been using luck. Only two made it inside this year, and expired of old age. Bunches of the outside. If they come in I will invest in a couple of fly traps from the feed store. Some of them are not too expensive. Fly paper is cheap, but it doesn't attract them, and they are so annoying I don't want to count on their bumbling into a sticky piece of paper.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 11:58 pm
@roger,
I just bought sticky spiral paper wrapped in wee tubes.. Crap, getting that in the room, the goo is on one of my good chairs. (what to do?) Plus there is that - my present fly trap failed re honey. I just added maple syrup, three days after the single fly is galloping.

I figure the flies like the sweating me much better.

This is all very odd. Back in Venice, our house was one with many open windows. We had a fly once in a while, but it left, out the window being as interesting. But, Albuquerque is not Venice, not opening windows part of the deal re swamp coolers.
roger

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 01:15 am
@ossobuco,
You should have some windows partly open, but screens do slot the egress of flies.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 01:37 am
@roger,
Yeh, but Stupida opened the door for two minutes one day. So flies come in and can't get out and...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 01:51 am
@roger,
That's true.

buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 01:53 am
@ossobuco,
We're mid downpour now.

Sigh, which part of my roof will leak?

So, what happens to flies in a rain downpour?
roger

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 02:59 am
@ossobuco,
Nothing. They just go inside till it quits.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 03:05 am
I don´t mind so much to be woken by a fly, I don´t like when they walk around my face - they have cold feet......really they do
roger

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 03:10 am
@saab,
Now that you mention it, they do. I wonder why.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 04:24 am
On a similar theme, when mrs edgarblythe and I walk in the park at dusk, insects ignore her, but constantly land on my head. I find this strange, because I wash my hair daily with a borax liguid, while she uses all the shampoo- conditioner crap.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 04:44 am
@ossobuco,
Fly in the grocery store ... not a big problem. Flies in the grocery store? Possible health violation.

I wouldn't expect an underpaid cashier to put much thought or concern into this potential health code violation but the manager might want to know or your local health inspector.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 11:39 am
Osso, maybe this will solve your fly visitors:

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7457.html
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 11:43 am
@tsarstepan,
Maybe the health code should have been bilingual
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 12:14 pm
One thing I like about Texas: There are not many flying insects here in the summer, probably because it's too hot. But we had them during spring because of the rain. Rain in Texas. Last spring, yes, and both flies and mosquitos. Horrible creatures. But, they were terrible in both Michigan and Ohio. Bat flies, horn flies, horse flies. Gads, the mosquitos. Back in Michigan, riding horses, we'd plaster ourselves with OFF, plaster the horses with Off-the-horse stuff, and put mosquito netting on the horses, over the nose & head then attached to the saddle. Crazy. Also had to watch for horse flies that glued themselves to the horse's rump.

Osso, which Venice do you speak about? Italy or the U.S.? I can see Italy not having flies or mosquitos. There and France. How else could they eat at those outdoor restaurants?

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 12:27 pm
@Pemerson,
Venice, California.

I've never been in Italy in the summer, so I missed running into flies or mosquitoes. I know mosquitoes and malaria used to be a big problem because of the presence of a lot of marshy land, much of which (if I remember reading) has been drained by now.

BBB, thanks for the data on flies.

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 01:21 pm
What is Jemex?
dyslexia

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 01:55 pm
flies don't bother me, I pull their wings off.