leading edge?

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 09:03 am

I think the leading edge of a razor is too sharp to touch. But what is the leading edge here?

Context:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/images/2010/06/100609171851.jpg
Stretching a moistened material contained in a strip on the leading edge of disposable razors demonstrates a long-mysterious phenomenon that causes some fluids to form beads while others do not. Whereas beads form when a bit of saliva is stretched, they do not form when the material on the razor strip is stretched. Researchers have learned why the beading occurs, which could help improve industrial processes and for administering drugs in "personalized medicine." (Credit: Gareth H. McKinley/MIT)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,198 • Replies: 7
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 09:15 am
In this sentence, "leading edge" means the outside part of the blade, the part that is sticking out.

Note: "leading edge" is also a relatively new idiom to mean "most recent, " such as the leading edge version of ipods.
oristarA

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 12:37 am
@PUNKEY,
Thanks
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 08:37 am
@oristarA,

the cutting edge, for a razor.

The term comes from the field of aeronautical engineering, and refers to the forward part of an aerofoil shape, e.g.the wing of an aircraft.
oristarA

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 09:05 am
@McTag,
Thank you.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 12:49 pm
The way the term "leading edge" is employed in the article is a misnomer, however. The strip of moistened material would be the "trailing edge" of the razor, seeing as how the blade(s) themselves are on the leading edge of the surface plane. The blades pass the surface of the face first, and then the strip of moistened material follows.
JTT

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 02:15 pm
@InfraBlue,
As luck would have it, I just bought some disposable razors. A wedding so I'm gonna do a smooth shave for the first time in years.

I wonder why they don't the strip on the leading edge. Isn't that first stroke the one where you would want the lubricant?
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 03:54 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Isn't that first stroke the one where you would want the lubricant?

I would think that the shaving cream has that covered. The lube coats the freshly razored skin.
0 Replies