iCarly and Femininity

sozobe

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 11:18 am
We just re-watched the episode "iMake Sam Girlier," which I really love. ("iCarly" is a show on Nickelodeon.)

This is the very end. The story so far... Sam (long blonde hair) has a crush on a boy (longhair in the argyle sweater at the end) but her tough persona usually doesn't work to get the guys. Her best friend Carly (black hair) gives her a makeover and "girly" tips. It works! She acts girly and the guy asks her out on a date.

Between being asked out and the actual date, Sam successfully fights the temptation to revert to her old ways, including when a bully picks a fight with her at school. She walks away, though it's obviously hard for her. ("Can't I rip her head off just a little bit?")

Later, Carly, Sam and Freddie (main characters/ friends on the show) are hanging out at a juice place. Sam is waiting for the boy to show up for their big date. Meanwhile, the bully from earlier walks in with some henchpeople and tries to start something (she tosses Sam's french fries down her shirt). Carly begs Sam not to do anything, and tries standing up to the bully herself. This doesn't work, and Carly is pushed roughly to the ground by the bully. From the ground, Carly says:

The quality is sucky but it's the only one I found that had that part. Captions are a bonus.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 3,371 • Replies: 23

engineer

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 12:41 pm
@sozobe,
My daughter loves iCarly. Her favorite part of going on vacation is getting to watch iCarly on cable.
sozobe

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 11:54 am
@engineer,
How old is she, engineer?

Meanwhile, I should've appended some questions to the original post rather than just plonking I think.

Like:

Men, do you agree with "I want a girl who can kiss good and snap a bone when she needs to" ? (Girl=woman according to your age of course.) Or would you prefer a daffodil?

Parents, do you aspire to raise a girl who can snap a bone if she needs to?
FreeDuck

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 01:49 pm
@sozobe,
We love iCarly, and that episode especially. I love how wacky it is and how it actually seems to take on pertinent topics.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 02:02 pm
@sozobe,
Sorry, I missed the questions.

I do aspire to having a daughter that can snap a bone if she needs to. We have challenges finding the line between that and resorting too quickly to violence with the Ducklet, but I'd rather that than the opposite.

I can't speak for men but I when I worked in bars I always got the biggest tips when I abused the men. They were mostly older, though, so maybe it's a preference that develops over time.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 02:18 pm
"Women who can snap a bone" in real life tend to be physically unattractive. So I guess in reality, no I don't want a woman who can snap bones. In real life, any woman with strength above the average male is very very likely to have a body type that I am not attracted to.

Thing is, a lot of women who aren't musclebound freaks like to think they are physically tough and all, if that is what you mean I don't care too much either way between tough and daffodil as a personality trait, but when push comes to shove I'm gonna have to admit that we are usually humoring you gals about the tough shtick.
djjd62

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 02:26 pm
@sozobe,
i've generally been attracted to the tomboy girl, never liked the girly girl, probably because i hate getting dressed up, so the casual aspect appeals
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 06:43 pm
@Robert Gentel,
What if it's through technique rather than brute strength? (Expertise in some sort of martial art, say.)
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 06:52 pm
My daughter is petite and feminine looking (although she's a tomboy at heart)
and she is feisty and can snap a bone. The boys seem to like the challenge.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 07:43 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

...when push comes to shove I'm gonna have to admit that we are usually humoring you gals about the tough shtick.

Yours or ours? Wink
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 08:02 pm
@sozobe,
Doesn't make up for the strength disparity at all. Women kicking man-ass in hand-to-hand combat is largely stuff of TV and movie legend.
FreeDuck

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 08:03 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Who said it had to be man-ass? You can be a tough girl without beating up boys.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 08:04 pm
@Eva,
Eva wrote:
Yours or ours? Wink

Men are dead serious about their own tough shtick, of course. But that "oh yes, I know you could kick his ass darling" stuff is us playing along. Karate isn't a silver bullet for men or women.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 08:04 pm
@FreeDuck,
Well that goes without saying, what are we gonna do next? Pick on toddlers?

:-P
FreeDuck

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 08:07 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Hah. I've seen some tough looking toddlers...
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 08:08 pm
@FreeDuck,
I can take on at least two fully-grown toddlers, three with a baseball bat.
FreeDuck

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 08:13 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Well hell, I can do that.

I'm beat by an 8 year-old, a 10 year-old, and a golden retriever though. I used to be able to outrun them but I tore my ACL (and some other stuff) so now I can't even do that. I've found that holding a stick outward and spinning myself in circles is my only defense.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 08:14 pm
@FreeDuck,
Hey! It's a tough duck. Good to read you.
FreeDuck

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 08:18 pm
@panzade,
Oh, hey, pan! Good to see/read you too.
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 11:18 pm
@FreeDuck,
Howdy, FD.

You playing FFB this year? Draft is Saturday:

LINK
0 Replies