Sounds We Don't Hear Anymore

Roberta

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 11:47 pm
Metal roller skates (the kind you attached to your shoes) rumbling over a rough sidewalk.

The kachunk-kachunk of chains on tires in the snow.

A telephone ring that actually sounds like a bell.

The sound of someone dialing a phone, with the quick clicks on the way back.

Someone changing channels on the kind of TV set that actually had a dial. Not just the sound of the dial, but the sound of the stations as they jumped from one to another.

The old-fashioned ring-ring of a bicycle bell.

Kids using the bottom rung of the fire escape ladder as a basketball hoop--bo-i-i-ing.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 9,266 • Replies: 73
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 12:03 am
@Roberta,
Modems cranking up and connecting to their respective ISP servers.

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 12:04 am
@tsarstepan,
VCR's rewinding to the beginning of the tape when the get to the end of a film.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 12:07 am
Hockey cards on the wheels of a bike, fwap-fwap-fwap, the faster you rode the more it sounded like a helicopter.
Kids bumber riding - kids hanging on the big metal back bumper (which has also disappeared) and sliding on the icy streets while hanging on to the moving car. We used to go for blocks.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 12:57 am
tsar, I still have a VCR, so I still hear the tape coming to the end.

Ceili, In my old neighborhood, any old playing card would do on the bike.

The clickety clack of typewriters. And the bell when you got to the end of the line.

The chunk, a ca chunk of old adding machines.

Bells on cash registers when the total was rung up.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 01:12 am
church bells

chugging of a steam engine

humming of radio tubes

clicking of dials like we used to have on TV's

clunk-click of when a 8 track tape is inserted
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 02:55 am
The sound of the antenna on the roof rotating to obtain reception for the current channel being watched on TV.

The sound of freshly washed sheets flapping in the wind on a clothes line.

The sound of keypunch cards being sorted in a data center.

The sound of the shutter aperture on a camera opening and closing on a camera when a photo is taken.

The flap flap flap sound at the end of a reel of film being rewound on the spool of a movie projector.

The clunk clunk sound of a reel to reel tape recorder being fast forwarded and stopped.

Teachers yelling "duck and cover!" during a practice drill for an atomic bomb attack on the US.

My dad's laugh. The rhythmic knocking of the tobacco ashes from my dad's pipe on the side of the chimney.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 03:19 am
@Butrflynet,
the clanging of a fire truck bell

the click and whirl of a floppy drive

modem noises

the clicky noises of a dial phone as the dial spin back
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 04:55 am
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
The sound of the antenna on the roof rotating to obtain reception for the current channel being watched on TV.

My lord you are as old as I am!!!!!!!!

I used to love the sound of the stepper motor repeater sitting on top of the TV make as the antenna far above change it aim from the New York City stations to the Philadelphia stations.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 05:24 am
butrfly, I had no idea roof antennas rotated. I thought they were just stuck up there. I guess I was always too far away from the roof to hear anything.

Hawkeye, I still hear church bells. Not every Sunday, but on special occasions.

The sounds of magazine pages being turned and people shifting in their seats in a doctor's waiting room. These have been replaced by people talking on their steenkin' cell phones.
BillRM

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 05:38 am
@Roberta,
Quote:
butrfly, I had no idea roof antennas rotated. I thought they were just stuck up there. I guess I was always too far away from the roof to hear anything.

I think she is thinking of the sound of the stepping motor repeater controller not the sound of the antennas moving itself.

You turn a dial on the box and a stepping relay in the box make one hell of a sound as it step by step tell the antennas motor to move on the roof.

Roberta

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 05:42 am
@BillRM,
Thanks, Bill, for the explanation. Who knew (aside from you)? I guess we didn't have one of those.

In the very early days of TV, most of the broadcasts came from downtown. I guess we just pointed the antenna south and hoped for the best.

Off topic, but speaking of antennas, I'm reminded of the time I went up on the roof and moved them all around. Embarrassed Wasn't I the little angel? Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 06:51 am

the ka-ching of a cash register...
hamburgboy

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 07:36 am
@Region Philbis,
the HOOOOOT of a real steam whistle from a " STEAMBOAT " and the tugboats when bringing a ship into port .

they sound be found somewhere on youtube .
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 08:47 am
@Region Philbis,
Though in NYC, many bars still have these old style cash registers with the prerequisite ka-ching....
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 08:50 am
@Roberta,
In several neighborhoods in NYC, one can hear amplified electronic chimes playing music. The church a couple of blocks away from my house does so on Sundays.

I'm not sure if I actually heard actual analog church bells while living in the city these past 9 years.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 08:55 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

The sound of freshly washed sheets flapping in the wind on a clothes line.

That's a good old fashion sound.

Quote:
The sound of the shutter aperture on a camera opening and closing on a camera when a photo is taken.

Strangely, many people have their cell phone make this sound digitally when they take a digital photograph with their phone.

Quote:
The flap flap flap sound at the end of a reel of film being rewound on the spool of a movie projector.

My stepfather had a small film projector and I used to take it out as he had about a dozen short films of some lesser known animated shorts. Can't remember which ones they were. It seemed to me that I was the only one who actually used the projector those days.

quote]
My dad's laugh. The rhythmic knocking of the tobacco ashes from my dad's pipe on the side of the chimney.
[/quote]
Why did your father smoke on the roof?! Shocked
ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 10:35 am
@tsarstepan,
I'm sure I heard real church bells while in Rome. Or did I? That may be wishful memory. On the other hand, if I had serious church bells down the street from me, I might flip out.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 10:38 am
@ossobuco,
I bet there are still real bells which are rung by hand in Rome and other cities and towns. I just can't remember the last time I heard of them ringing outside of a clip from television or in the movies.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 10:44 am
@tsarstepan,
we got less than 400 people here, but we have real church bells on sunday mornings.

lotsa small towns out here still do...

I miss old time AM radio broadcasts of baseball games. and the accompanying noises.
0 Replies