Blood Letting Blues or a Crisis in Self-Esteem Management

ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 05:50 pm
@Roberta,
And I taught people to take blood by taking it from me, not once, but many times, and had my blood (a little bit, not a lot) taken something like once a week for years. I used to wear long sleeved tees on airplanes in case someone thought I was a user. Of course, later I learned that that was dumb of me. Though, maybe now it wouldn't be.

I can't say, since I wasn't in the room with Tsar, but the scenario seems pretty iffy re the phlebotomists or lab techs or nurses, whoever.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 05:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
Huh, most of us don't think it was your problem. Roberta is right about the tape.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 06:50 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
If this is their website, it looks like a great find. I've added it to my list of places to see should I ever visit New York. Was the food as good as they make it sound on their menus? What did you all have?

http://www.lasagnarestaurant.com/
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 07:14 pm
tsar, here are a couple of wiki sites that may be informative to you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plateletpheresis

I took special note of these sections and thought I'd paste it here for you:

Quote:
After a short physical examination, the donor is taken into the donation room and sits in a chair next to the machine. The technician cleans one or both arms with iodine, or other disinfectant, and inserts the catheter into a vein in the arm. With some procedures both arms are used, one to draw blood and the other to return it. The process takes about one to two hours while blood is pulled into the machine, mixed with an anticoagulant such as sodium citrate spun around, and returned to the donor. "Double needle" procedures using both arms tend to be shorter since the blood is drawn and returned through different catheters, with "single needle" procedures a set volume is drawn and processed in the first part of the cycle and returned in the second part. The donor's blood is pulled into the machine and returned about 6-8 times.

(If your donation site is using the single needle method, your veins may not be able to handle the increased activity in a single vein. Look for a donation site that uses the double needle procedure. Here's a list of U.S. blood donation agencies by state. There are several listed for New York which you can investigate as an alternative donation site.)

Side effects of the donation of platelets generally fall into three categories: blood pressure changes, problems with vein access, and effects of the returned anticoagulant. Blood pressure changes can sometimes cause nausea, fatigue, and dizziness. Venous access problems can cause bruising, referred to as a hematoma. While donating, the lips may begin to tingle or there may be a metallic taste; a supply of calcium antacid tablets is usually kept close by because the anticoagulant works by binding to the calcium in the blood. Since calcium is used in the operation of the nervous system, nerve-ending-dense areas (such as the lips) are susceptible to the tingling. The donation process can also cause more serious problems such as fainting, seizures, and nerve irritation.[citation needed] These problems are extremely rare, but apheresis donors are typically not allowed to sleep during the long donation process so that they can be monitored.[citation needed]

Quote:
Vein scarring

Repeated platelet donations at short intervals will cause the venipuncture site to scar. While cosmetically it is virtually invisible, the scarring also occurs on the vein itself, making it harder to insert a needle on future occasions. Anecdotal reports have said that rubbing Vitamin E oil (or the insides of a Vitamin E capsule) on the venipuncture site may reduce scarring.[citation needed]

It may be necessary for the donor to warn anybody who needs to draw blood from a scarred site that the vein may be somewhat tougher than normal. Failure to do so may result in the tech thinking they have missed the vein, not realizing that the vein simply may take a little more pressure to stick.[citation needed]
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 07:27 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thank you very much Butrflynet!

This is very informative indeed. The NY Bloodcenter uses the single needle procedure.

And that issue on the scarring does make sense.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 07:37 pm
@tsarstepan,
Mmm, I think of my elbow veins as well scarred, as I said. Let's see, nearly ten years of near weekly small donations, though not as wide gauge a needle re platelet donation all those times. I'll buy that may be what was happening, but wondering why no one told Tsar if so. I'm interested in the needle drop out, that sounds odd.

However, if scarring is the thing, and I'd like to hear of that as verified - I'd change my tune re Tsar keeping donating.

I'd like you to find out more, Tsar. Stop with the low self esteem thing.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 07:42 pm
@ossobuco,
Another a2ker knows way more than I do about this, not sure re at the phlebotomist level, (or their level).
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 07:46 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

What's that phrase about zebras and their respective stripes? Or is the saying about dalmatians and their respective spots? Neutral
ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 07:51 pm
@tsarstepan,
I won't nag. Consider yourself backed up, though.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 08:15 pm
@ossobuco,
Aggggh, I meant, supported.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 08:16 pm
@ossobuco,
Not sure how valid the vein scarring citation on Wikipedia is. There is no supporting footnote for it and all the places that refer to vein scarring only repeat what was said in the Wiki article.

I've skimmed through several blood donation websites and the NIH and find no references to vein scarring from repeated blood donation.

Here is an article that disagrees with the notion of vein scarring:

http://www.netwellness.org/question.cfm/38234.htm

While here are articles by the same doctor recommending rotating the vein donation site to counter any scarring potential:

http://www.netwellness.org/question.cfm/56477.htm

http://www.netwellness.org/question.cfm/48261.htm

You might want to do some browsing on IV drug use and vein scarring to see if there is any more in-depth info on it from that perspective.
roger

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 08:26 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks. I was getting ready to ask about that.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 09:39 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
If this is their website, it looks like a great find. I've added it to my list of places to see should I ever visit New York.
Was the food as good as they make it sound on their menus?
What did you all have?

http://www.lasagnarestaurant.com/
Yes; there is also an interesting looking little French restaurant featuring duck, right across 20th St.
I wanna try that. It has opened since our dinner with the Tsar.

For the main course, I believe that I had a meat (beef) lasanya.
I don 't remember the appetizer, nor the desserts.

I wanna try the other lasanya offerings on its menu.
I 've been back once, since dinner with the Tsar,
with a different group, my friend Marty 's dining SIG.
The Tsar was not able to join us that evening.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 09:46 pm
@tsarstepan,
ossobuco wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:

What's that phrase about zebras and their respective stripes?
Or is the saying about dalmatians and their respective spots? Neutral
I invented a zebra frase, to wit:
" a zebra has more than one stripe " meaning that a man has more
than one trait, or characteristic, or ability from which he can choose
as to how to address a situation.

I have yet to copyright it.

David
ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 10:01 pm
@Butrflynet,
Wiki -
Has that doctor had a few hundred sticks himself in a few years, never mind ten years??
I'm not complaining. I think my own scarring - not all that bad - has diminished, and it was voluntary anyway. But I didn't deal with large gauge needles most of the time.

I was an early tech at a major lab, not bragging, just circumstances. Taking blood was not my role, most of the time.
Scarring has to do with trauma, mostly, which can point to the techs..

Vein rotation? Give me a break. At least we did that, depending on the patient.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 10:06 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Wiki -
Has that doctor had a few hundred sticks himself in a few years, never mind ten years??
I'm not complaining. I think my own scarring - not all that bad - has diminished, and it was voluntary anyway. But I didn't deal with large gauge needles most of the time.

I was an early tech at a major lab, not bragging, just circumstances. Taking blood was not my role, most of the time.
Scarring has to do with trauma, mostly, which can point to the techs..

Vein rotation? Give me a break.
Mine don 't rotate.

David
ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 10:07 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Well, a lot of them roll.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 10:11 pm
@ossobuco,
Time for me to applaud the folks at UNM. I haven't had a bad 'stick' yet, says the connoisseur.

Thus I wonder what is going on with the people Tsar is dealing with and feeling somehow inferior about.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 03:28 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

ossobuco wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:

What's that phrase about zebras and their respective stripes?
Or is the saying about dalmatians and their respective spots? Neutral
I invented a zebra frase, to wit:
" a zebra has more than one stripe " meaning that a man has more
than one trait, or characteristic, or ability from which he can choose
as to how to address a situation.

I have yet to copyright it.

David

A most excellent saying! I hope it makes it into the world lexicon of proverbs and wise sayings.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2013 12:32 pm
The losing streak is over. My first successful platelet donation session in years. Woot!

I bet it's no coincidence it coincides with the Red Soc success in the playoffs. Wink

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 12:57:27