Who do You think You are?

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 01:38 pm
It is a medical fact that we're only 10% human. Since the 1600's, and Antonie van Leeuwenhoek ,science has known that humans are composed of many organisms (known as microbiome). We now know that their are 10 times more microbes than human cells in our bodies. The Human Genome Project mapped out the DNA characteristics of our bodies. Now the Human Microbiome Project is mapping out the other 90% that makes up what you have always thought of as your body (but really isn't, maybe 10% if you're lucky).
http://nihroadmap.nih.gov/hmp/
http://www.ornl.gov/sci/techresources/Human_Genome/home.shtml
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,786 • Replies: 20
No top replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 01:49 pm
@Pronounce,
From the article you linked:
Quote:
Within the body of a healthy adult, microbial cells are estimated to outnumber human cells by a factor of ten to one.

I think the key phrase is "within the body." This would not cause us to be only 10% human.
djjd62

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 01:53 pm
Pronounce

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 02:21 pm
@wandeljw,
I'm not doubting your comment, but I don't understand your distinction. Are you saying that the scientist are looking at some internal cavity(ies)? If that is what you're saying did you verify this?
Pronounce

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 02:33 pm
@djjd62,
o.O

eh????
0 Replies

Pronounce

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 02:40 pm
@djjd62,
I don't mean any disrespect by this, but do songs just pop into your head when you hear specific phrases?

I've had that happen to me at times, but not for a while now.
djjd62

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 02:42 pm
@Pronounce,
yup, as soon as i read the title that tune just popped into my head
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 03:08 pm
@Pronounce,
The fact that bacteria outnumbers human cells does not reduce us to "10% human". 95% of the bacteria is found within the intestines.
Pronounce

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 06:32 pm
@wandeljw,
It seemed that the article was talking about total mass. So you're saying that 95% of our mass is found in out intestines?
roger

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 06:49 pm
@Pronounce,
I think you are missing the point. Being within the body does not make something a part of the body.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 06:56 pm
@Pronounce,
Odd, I just read a reference to that at the end of a book I just finished this morning, Engleby, by Sebastian Faulk. I'm still coming up from the book (as opposed to down) - it was very interesting to me at the same time I kept getting more and more depressed.

Re the question, I think I'm me... another whole subject re concept of self, but never mind.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 07:08 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, here's a quote from one of the characters -

"My own diagnosis of my problem is a simpler one. It's that I share 50% of my genome with a banana and 98 percent with a chimpanzee. Bananas don't do psychological consistency. And the tiny part of us that's different - the special Homo sapiens bit - is faulty. It doesn't work. Sorry about that."
Pronounce

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 10:13 am
@ossobuco,
Good quote. I find irony quite hilarious, and others might not I realize.
0 Replies

Pronounce

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 11:15 am
@roger,
Yeah, I got that sense. I've researched the specifics of what Wendel was talking about, and what the HMP was actually saying. (I haven't answered this question to my satisfaction yet.) The main issue for me is this statement:
Quote:
Total microbial cells found in association with humans may exceed the total number of cells making up the human body by a factor of ten-to-one.
To try and figure what "in association" means I've looked at graphs, like this one http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0a/Skin_Microbiome20169-300.jpg, and I can kind of see that it indicates the human flora. I know that there is a symbiotic relationship between some microbiome and us. But I don't know if medical science has identified other microbiome that are not part of the human flora, and will be a part of this research project.

Anyway my point was to provoke some thoughtful discussion about what it means to be a human (Osso hit on this, for which I'm thankful). (I guess there is something to be said for being too obtuse.)
wandeljw

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 12:33 pm
@Pronounce,
You were being "esoteric" and I had trouble following your metaphor (or whatever it was Smile ). Anyway, I think of microbes as bacteria and was unable to come to the same conclusion that you did.
Pronounce

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 01:09 pm
@wandeljw,
Your confusion is understandable. I've realized that those who seeks to find truth consequently become esoteric in regards to the greater population. So then being social animals we seek others who understand us, and we can relate to. Unfortunately the segment of the population that meets this requirement gets smaller and smaller until it just becomes you.

Now I'm undecided. I want to quote you for my tag line, but the one I have I like too.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 01:17 pm
@Pronounce,
No emails in signatures, pronounce - but you can put it in your profile.
Pronounce

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 01:20 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh, OK. I hadn't seen that specified.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 01:33 pm
@Pronounce,
It's somewhere in the Terms of Service (or was..)

Pronounce

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 01:37 pm
@ossobuco,
I just checked, and could not find it, but no matter I like your idea better.