Death Penalty In Britain. Should It Be Restored?

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 07:38 pm
Hi!

Do you believe that, in the case of violent offenders (murderers, rapists, child abusers etc), where there is NO doubt as to whether the offender is responsible, that the death penalty should be imposed upon them - In Britain?

Thank you, and live well!
Mark...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,874 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Caroline

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 08:13 pm
@mark noble,
I think the victims and the victims family should be asked on how the criminal should be punished, a short sharp shock then it's over or a lifetime of hard labour as an outcast to other prisoners.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 09:57 pm
@mark noble,
You have to ask if it's ethical or not to kill someone if he/she is a murderer. I've always said it's obviously hypocritical that you say it's wrong to kill someone but we are going to kill you.

I'm losing faith in the British judicial system, due to overcrowding criminals are getting off lightly, what I'm trying to say is life should mean life for murder, not let out at all. Usually rapists rape again if they are let out so killing them would help overcrowding, sorry not really, just let out the petty criminals and imprison the dangerous ones. I digress, it's a tough call one where I would imagine even the victim would sometimes want the death penalty. One things for sure, they shouldn't be let out period, the main objective is the safety of the public because it's been proven 9 times out of 10 they commit the same offense again if released.

If you do bring back the death penalty are you only saying it's for the ones that we are 100 percent sure about because the last person who was hanged they were sure about and turned out to be innocent. So are you saying that forensics today are sure 100 percent now and no room for error? But your question is really hypothetical.

From what I've seen victims and their families mostly want the perp locked up in jail because killing them involves no prolonged suffering like a lengthy or life sentence does where they'd get beaten up and life is made hell if they are rapists, I could be wrong as this was a long time ago but that is mostly what the victims and their families wanted, they wanted the criminal to suffer for a long time, it gave them gratification where as the death penalty made them feel no justice has been served because the criminal is not suffering, some would say he/she got off lightly.

Which brings the question, which is more just, prison or death, well I'm all for letting them rot in jail, not because it's wrong to kill them because I would understand some people wanting to do this but I agree with the others, there is no pain and suffering in death, they feel nothing, they are going to die eventually, why not let them suffer and live in hell to the point they wish they were dead? That's justice.
Have a pleasant afternoon Mark!
BillRM

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 10:09 pm
@mark noble,
It interesting that you wish to bring the death penalty back for non-murders such as child abusers and rapists and not even the US Supreme court allow the states to do that any longer

Maybe you could find some place in the world you could dump them as you did in the good old days?

Bet there are a lot of third world countries that for a few thousands pounds each would take them in.
mark noble

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 11:37 am
@BillRM,
Hi Bill!

I didn't say that I wished to restore the death penalty - I was only asking for opinions on the issue.

I am for exile myself - If a person cannot or will not abide by the law of the country or state they choose to reside in, they should be removed from said community, PERIOD!

I have said before 'Antarctica, would be a good place to release them'.

Thank you Bill!
Have a great day, sir!
Mark...
djjd62

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 11:40 am
@mark noble,
Death Penalty In Britain. Should It Be Restored?

is Australia full?
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 11:42 am
@Caroline,
Hi Caroline!

I am of the ilk that doesn't like to see even an animal suffer any durational torment. Vengeance consumes the souls of the vindictive, not that which is the object of their vendetta.

So I would, as I said to Bill, always go for 'exile', 'banishment'.

Torture is horrendous!

Anyway, Have a fantastic weekend, Caroline.
Mark...
Caroline

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 11:45 am
@mark noble,
Thanks Mark, you too.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 11:41 am
@mark noble,
Quote:
I have said before 'Antarctica, would be a good place to release them'.

I love the idea of having such people work on oil pipelines and such projects in very cold climates.

Rob a 7/11 at gun point and get an all expense pay vacation to Siberia for five years for example.

Do any other such misdeed and you will never return.

mark noble

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 11:57 am
@BillRM,
Hi Bill!

I was thinking more of the continent being an inescapable island, rather than a penalty in and of itself. I don't wish harm on criminals, just isolation from.

Your way is a good idea also though.

Thank you Bill!
mark...
0 Replies