Roasts: any tried & true recipes you'd suggest?

Mame

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 06:11 am
Hi msolga - this is the recipe I use for beef tenderloin:

1 x 3-lb tenderloin
1/3 c. melted butter
1/4 c. each soy, lee & perrins, and water
garlic cloves

Roast 20 min. lb, let rest 10 min.

Voila. If you're serving potatoes and want a gravy, add the jus to a pkg gravy mix - it's delish.
msolga

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 06:24 am
@Mame,
Thank you, Mame.
That sounds very straightforward & easy to prepare!
Just my sort of recipe! Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 06:27 am
@ossobuco,
Thank you, osso!

Quote:
As you might imagine, this is all too berserk for me, though I did try it once.

Smile
farmerman

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 08:21 am
@msolga,
Dauphinois cheese is a heart attaqck in a wedge. Its about the most doubly creamy tasting cheese. We use it for dessert once in a while. Its very mild creamy brie like. I love it but qwe dont chow down on it for several reeasons

1The really good stuff (triple creqams) are like 35 bucks a pound or more.

2It really so rioch that your body can go into hock

3 You cant eat just a teeny hunk
farmerman

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 08:33 am
@farmerman,
we do a Brab Kafka style roast with a great hunk of beef in a heavy pot. we put a roast (Delmonico or soemthing tender) and coat it with Worcestershire and pepper and garlic. QWe put about 1/2 cup of beef broth in the pot. TURN OVEN UP TO 500 degrees (Kelvinator)., put the beef in only after the oven is up totemp and roast for 10 min per pound. It will come out tender and rarish in the center and nice and roasted on the outside. We quickly open the oven and put in preboiled potato hunks foo accompany the beef for the lst 20 minutes.

SOOOO FINE!!
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 03:11 pm
Baked Pork Chops

Ingredients:

1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 cup catsup
1 cup water
1 1/2 lbs pork chops, cut about
1 1/4-inch thick

Instructions:

Combine mustard, flour, sugar and salt.

Add vinegar, catsup and water and mix thoroughly.

Pour over chops in a baking dish.

Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 1-1/2 to 2 hours

--------------------------------

Baked Flounder

Ingredients:
4 6 ounce fillets of flounder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
freshly ground pepper
2 bell peppers, red and yellow
olive oil cooking spray
1 sweet onion, chopped
3 large cloves garlic
2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon minced fresh or 1 teaspoon crushed dried tarragon
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Place the fillets in an oven proof baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside. Char the bell peppers using either a gas range burner or the broiler. Quickly place in a paper bag to steam. Remove when cool enough to handle. Remove the skin and seeds. Chop.

Coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Sauté the onion and garlic until onions are wilted. Add the peppers and tomatoes and cook stirring over high heat for 3 minutes. Stir in the tarragon and vinegar. Spoon the vegetables over the fish fillets and bake for 15 to 18 minutes until the fish is just opaque. Serve immediately.

--------------------------------------

Easy Enchilada Casserole

Ingredients:
1 pound ground turkey breast
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups each: tomato sauce and enchilada sauce
1 can (15 oz.) pinto beans and juice
12 corn tortillas
3 cups grated fat-free cheddar cheese (10 oz.)
½ cup sliced black olives

Instructions:
In a large, heavy skillet sprayed with nonstick spray, brown ground turkey and chopped onion over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.

Add tomato sauce, enchilada sauce and beans with juice. Heat until simmering. Put a layer of meat sauce in a large casserole sprayed with nonstick spray. Add a single layer of 3 tortillas. Add another layer of meat sauce. Cover with 1/4 of the cheese and olives.

Repeat three more layers of 3 tortillas, meat sauce, cheese and olives. Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 50 to 60 minutes, or until hot. Serves 10.

---------------------------------

Garlicky Lamb And Eggplant Rolls

Ingredients:
2 medium ( 2 pounds total) eggplants
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 pound lean ground lamb
1 medium onion, chopped
4 large cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
leaves or 2 teaspoons dried mint
1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
mint sprigs for garnish

Instructions: Peel eggplants and cut lengthwise into 1/3 inch thick slices.There will be about 16 slices. Spread on a cooling rack; sprinkle with salt. Set aside about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, sauté lamb and onion in a large nonstick skillet until lamb is no longer pink. Add garlic, mint, and pepper. Cook 2 minutes longer.Pour mixture into a colander to drain fat.With a paper towel, pat liquid released from eggplant and wipe off most of the salt. Put 3 slices eggplant in the large nonstick skillet, add 1/4 cup water.Cover and cook over low heat 3 minutes. Turn eggplant over and continue cooking until eggplant is tender.
Repeat process with remaining batches of eggplant.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.Spray ovenproof flat casserole with nonstick cooking spray.Spread eggplant strips with equal parts lamb mixture.Roll up jelly roll style, and place rolls in prepared pan. If eggplant strips do not hold together well, use toothpick. If extra lamb remains, sprinkle it around the rolls.
Bake 20 to 25 minutes until tops of eggplant rolls are lightly browned.Garnish with mint sprigs.
realjohnboy

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 07:53 pm
I have never tried recipes using ground turkey, I don't know why.
I like lamb, but can't afford it.
msolga

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 08:04 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:

SOOOO FINE!!

Smile

Thank you, farmer. That sounds good. I'm convinced!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 08:05 pm
@Butrflynet,
Wow.

Thank you, butrflynet!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 08:06 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
I like lamb, but can't afford it.

Never mind, RJB.
I'll share with you when I cook it! Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 08:47 pm
Actually, I should have called this thread "roasts & bakes", as my baking dish can (obviously) be used for both.

Here's a very quick baked dish I made a few days ago. I'd never used pumpkin in a dish like this before & really liked it! I recommend this recipe for whenever you might have an army to feed at short notice. I halved the quantity (for 3 people) & still had some left over.

I didn't follow the exact quantities in the recipe below. Added more onion & feta. No problem. I also used the same baking dish for both stages, wiping it clean after stage 1. Easy peasy. And very tasty, if I do say so myself! Smile

This could be served either hot or cold & you could replace the pumpkin with sweet potatoes, etc ... :

Roasted pumpkin, spinach & feta slice

* 1.2 kg butternut pumpkin, peeled & cut into 2 cm pieces
* 2 red onions, cut into thin wedges
* olive oil cooking spray
* 100g baby spinach
* 75g feta cheese, crumbled
* 1/2 cup of milk

- Pre-heat oven to 230 C. Line a large baking dish with baking paper. Place onion & pumpkin in the pan & season with salt & pepper. Toss to coat. Roast for about 20 minutes until golden & tender. Remove from oven.

- Place spinach over vegetables & allow to wilt.

- Grease a 3.5 cm deep, 16.5 x 26 cm (base) baking dish. Line base & sides with baking paper. Transfer pumpkin, onions & spinach to the dish & top with the crumbled feta.

- Whisk egg & milk. Add salt & pepper. Pour over the vegetables & allow to bake for around 35 minutes or until set. Stand for ten minutes before serving.

`

0 Replies