The part that is false: "noninvasive"

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 09:14 am
http://www.darpa.mil/dso/thrust/biosci/brainmi.htm

Brain Machine Interfaces
Program Manager: Dr. Eric Eisenstadt
The Brain Machine Interfaces Program represents a major DSO thrust area that will comprise a multidisciplinary, multi-pronged approach with far reaching impact. The program will create new technologies for augmenting human performance through the ability to non-invasively access codes in the brain in real time and integrate them into peripheral device or system operations. Focus will be on the following areas:

1.Extraction of neural and force dynamic codes related to patterns of motor or sensory activity required for executing simple to complex motor or sensory activity (e.g., reaching, grasping, manipulating, running, walking, kicking, digging, hearing, seeing, tactile). This will require the exploitation of new interfaces and algorithms for providing useful nonlinear transformation, pattern extraction techniques, and the ability to test these in appropriate models or systems

2.Determination of necessary force and sensory feedback (positional, postural, visual, acoustic, or other) from a peripheral device or interface that will provide critical inputs required for closed loop control of a working device (robotic appendage or other peripheral control device or system).

3.New methods, processes, and instrumentation for accessing neural codes noninvasively at appropriate spatiotemporal resolution to provide closed loop control of a peripheral device. This could include both fundamental interactions of neural cells, tissue, and brain with energy profiles that could provide noninvasive access to codes (magnetics, light, or other).

4.New materials and device design and fabrication methods that embody compliance and elastic principles, and that capture force dynamics that integrate with neural control commands. These include the use of dynamic materials and designs into working prototypes.

5.Demonstrations of plasticity from the neural system and from an integrated working device or system that result in real time control under relevant conditions of force perturbation and cluttered sensory environments from which tasks must be performed (e.g., recognizing and picking up a target and manipulating it).

6.Biomimetic implementation of controllers (with robotics or other devices and systems) that integrate neural sensory or motor control integrated with force dynamic and sensory feedback from a working device or system. The first phase of the program may include dynamic control of simple and complex motor or sensory activity directly using neural codes integrated into a machine, device, or system. Simple actions considered include using a robotic arm or leg to sense a target, reach for it and manipulate it, throw or kick an object at a target, or recognize a sensory input and responding to it (visual, acoustic) directly through input/output brain integration. More complex activity may include issues related to force or sensory perturbation in more complex environments.

Will the next thing we hear be???--- 'parts are being extracted from humans to biologically and technologically create and produce robotic beings who perform BETTER than all men can in their natural state'.
Wouldn't surprise me. Plus, I think they'll all be republicans. sigh

Coming Agenda:
New Science for National Security:
Defense Sciences Office Overview
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,098 • Replies: 7
No top replies

theollady

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 05:07 pm
Mechanising the Mind
Brave New World of ESB
Excerpt from As Man becomes Machine, The Evolution of the Cyborg
by David Rorvik, 1973

Animals with implanted electrodes in their brains have been made to perform a variety of responses with predictable reliability as if they were electronic toys under human control.

- Dr José M. R Delgado
Yale University School of Medicine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The once-human being thus controlled would be the cheapest of machines to create and operate.

- Curtiss R. Schafer
Electrical Engineer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the field of brain physiology, I think it [ESB] is the most exiting single discovery....I am almost frightened to say what I think might come of this....

- Dr Robert H. Felix
Testifying before the Senate
Appropriations Subcommittee on Health

Man is possessed by an almost overwhelming desire - some insist that it is actually an instinct - to explore, to pit himself against the unknown...

(some of the comments on the book)

http://www.angelfire.com/or/mctrl/rorvik.htm
0 Replies

Sheep

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 05:57 pm
I doubt you'll get any real replies from that because I completely missed the question but didn't even understand what you wrote or why you wrote it.
0 Replies

theollady

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 06:49 pm
Well..............
Sheep

Pardin me fer typin.......
0 Replies

xifar

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 07:02 pm
Very interesting. This could provide quite a few great advancements for human kind (prosthetics, thought typing, etc.) and it could also provide quite a few very scary ones (better mind reading techniques, information extraction techniques).

Quote:
Biomimetic implementation of controllers (with robotics or other devices and systems) that integrate neural sensory or motor control integrated with force dynamic and sensory feedback from a working device or system.

I am positive that there is a monkey who can control a prosthetic arm only using his brain. It is a very interesting project. Maybe we will soon see this kind of advancement for human kind.

But only time will tell whether synthetically enhanced muscles and the like will destroy us or define us.
0 Replies

neil

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 01:48 pm
Hi theo: Sheep is correct. It is difficult. But we learn by trying. I think it will be invasive, perhaps very dehumanizing. Also it is a slippery slope that can lead to other human experiments some people think are already being run on large portions of the population without their knowledge or consent. Spent plutonium armor and ammunition, vacinations, agent orange, chem trails, genetically modified seeds, irradiated food to name just a few. Neil
0 Replies

theollady

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 04:02 pm
Good afternoon, neil and xifar,

It is difficult for me to believe we have enough SINCERE and ethical scientists to keep advancements of this nature from becoming methods of "control". Both mind control and physical limitation where possible.

My question, Sheep- which I noted in red.... (above)
was a sarcastic one, disdaining the idea that man could ever take "PARTS" and improve on what God has created... ie: the human brain.
It upset me, reading this material-
to the degree that I felt like asking others how THEY felt about it.
However, It has not stirred a lot of interest.
We 'humanfolk' are like that... we don't have much to say about a happening until it is done and past and all the hindsight 'opinion' wont change a lick. hmmmm????
0 Replies

xifar

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 04:15 pm
Quote:
We 'humanfolk' are like that... we don't have much to say about a happening until it is done and past and all the hindsight 'opinion' wont change a lick. hmmmm????

Very true. I think that in the foreseeable future, technology will try to interpret the brain and act accordingly (while still viewing the brain as almost an enigma as a whole). When technology begins to interact with the brain, that is when we are setting up our civilization to become androids. It would be a whole new type of Aryan race, one that science would most likely welcome. The implications are scary, but so are the implications of cloning. I think in the end, both will be heavily regulated.
0 Replies