Recreating restaurant dishes at home

msolga

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 07:45 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
I had a soup at a local coffee and sandwich shop that was so good that I went back a second day for more than tried to match the recipe at home.

Have you done that?

No, I haven't POM.

Unless I have an actual recipe to work from, it would most likely be a total disaster!

(I'm one of those people who must have a recipe, sadly. Not the world's most fabulous creative cook. Neutral )
plainoldme

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 09:32 pm
@msolga,
I started collecting cookbooks when I was still in my teens. The first one I purchased was the Horizon (from the old magazine of the same name) Cook Book. I used to read them like novels.

I have had to force myself to follow a recipe sometimes. I love to put things together but I know when something just isn't going to work.

Late last winter, I cooked an entire meal from Mastering the Art of French Cooking, something I hadn't done in years. What a treat that was.
msolga

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 10:35 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Late last winter, I cooked an entire meal from Mastering the Art of French Cooking, something I hadn't done in years.

Smile Now that sounds like quite an achievement, Pom!

Quote:
What a treat that was.

Could I ask what was on the menu for that particular meal?
plainoldme

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 11:09 pm
@msolga,
Chicken, broccoli and something else, probably a potato dish. It is 1:00 am here and I am falling over. I'll look at the book in a day or two . . . have to work Saturday and to paint my dining room Sunday.
msolga

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 11:12 pm
@plainoldme,
Off to bed with you then, POM!
With haste!

Good night! Smile
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 11:46 am
@panzade,
panzade wrote:
KFC cole slaw clone

Gracias! Always looking for good side dishes to go with summer barbeques.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 11:49 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
He says he likes it, but he is a prolific food liar. Does anyone else have a bead on that schmear?

Can definitely relate Smile It's all good, though... I have ways of getting the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth LOL.
farmerman

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 02:28 pm
@Irishk,
ID LIKE TO RECREATE THE P. F. CHANGS DISH. PRAWNS IN LEMON SAUCE.
panzade

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 07:56 pm
@farmerman,
If you meant Lemongrass sauce, I have the recipe for you FM
Irishk

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 10:41 am
@panzade,
Spill it, Pan! Smile

Farmerman: If it's the one with the noodles, the Food Network got the recipe from P.F.Changs ...

http://www.foodchannel.com/recipes/79-grilled-lemongrass-prawns-with-garlic-noodles
0 Replies