Defining a particular group classification

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 12:08 pm
I noticed where Goshisdead in this post (http://able2know.org/topic/159548-1#post-4305136) used the term granola to describe a particular school of thought. Most anybody knows the way the term is used there or can figure out the meaning. Anyway, it got me thinking. People have a tendency to classify themselves and others into groups, it’s well known. But these groups, of course, represent absolutes, ideals, or what have you. It’s like saying you’re either black or white.

However, most people fall somewhere in between and may have all kinds of bits and pieces of many groups included in their self image/philosophy/persona. Granted, there are a few people who choose a group to associate themselves with and dogmatically apply the group’s platform to themselves. They are, of course, insane and have no redeeming qualities, so let’s not talk about them, but instead focus our attention on the “in-between” or “normal” people.

Specifically, I’m curious about the area where the granola people and the hillbillies meet. They have commonalities. They both like to live off the land, play musical instruments, and wear straw hats. However, hillbillies are ignorant, while granola people are smart. Hillbillies drink home-brewed corn liquor, while the granola people drink home-brewed wine.

I need help defining this in-between group, so I can dogmatically associate myself with it.

NOTE: Please feel free to insert other words like tree hugger, environmentalist, bumkin, or hick if you feel the need.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,553 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 12:17 pm
I have never heard the term "granola" to describe a group of people. If the media promulgated this term, more people would know what it meant. In the meantime, many people might just not have ever heard of it.
0 Replies

chad3006

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 12:30 pm
@chad3006,
Before you dismiss this thread, I thought I should mention that this is a great opportunity to define a group that, to my knowledge, has not been defined as of yet. One needn’t have any associations with either hillbillies or granola people to have an interest in defining this group. Making these classifications can be a great aid in the chastisement of vast numbers of people if you prefer to take an adversarial role.
0 Replies