AUSSIE BEAUTY QUEEN GOES NATIVE AT PAGEANT

Sglass

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 09:12 am
Nation Barfs Over Miss Aussie Costume
One critic calls it 'a national joke,' another 'a travesty'
By Emily Rauhala| Posted Jul 30, 2010 6:24 AM CDT| Share (Newser) – The first problem: High-heeled Uggs. The second: Everything else. The outfit designed to represent Australia at next month's Miss Universe competition in Las Vegas is being blasted as "a travesty" and "a national joke," reports the Telegraph. The ensemble combines Ugg heels with a one-piece bathing suit, a multi-colored flamenco-inspired skirt, and a lamb's wool shrug. The skirt "looks like it was made from discount fabric bin scraps," says one fashion editor.

Miss Universe hopeful Jesinta Campbell, 18, defended the costume. "An Aboriginal artist hand-painted my swimsuit, which is the base of the outfit, which is very special," she says, adding that the bulky shrug is "very Australian—very Outback." The overall look, she says, is "incredible." Incredible, eh?

Read more: http://www.newser.com/story/96830/nation-barfs-over-miss-aussie-costume.html#ixzz0vB8HkuKk
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,050 • Replies: 19
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 09:30 am
Better photo:
http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2010/07/28/1225898/173941-jesinta-campbell.jpg

Quote:
Campbell has opted for a demure sunshine coloured gown by Melbourne label Izaro for the evening wear section of the competition.

Sglass

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 09:37 am
@dadpad,
Thank you Dadpad.

I think she looks very Gucci.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 09:44 am
I'm not a fan of Haute couture. I tend to see clothing as practical.
Sglass

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 09:48 am
@dadpad,
Practical like bikinnis, practically nothing? Wink
Sglass

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 06:12 pm
@Sglass,
Whazthe matter, all the Aussie ladies ignored this post???????
msolga

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 06:34 pm
@Sglass,
Well it's a peculiarly conflicted, feral looking costume, seaglass!
Like she can't decide whether to go to the beach, indulge in a bit of flamenco dancing, or curl up in front of the fire on a cold winter day. Or maybe indulge in the whole lot? Razz
I can't quite believe it, myself.
Poor girl, having to wear it in public!
I wonder what fashion designing genius invented it?
Sglass

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2010 02:33 am
@msolga,
I understand the footwear least of all.
msolga

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2010 02:38 am
@Sglass,
You are not alone in that, seaglass.
I mean, high-heeled Ugg boots? Razz
(the only place one sees Ugg boots of any variety these days is around the house, worn as slippers in the cold weather.)
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2010 02:43 am
@dadpad,
http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2010/07/28/1225898/173941-jesinta-campbell.jpg

stunning

gorgeous

ps. sack designer
msolga

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2010 02:47 am
@laughoutlood,
I agree ... about the fetching young woman, laughoutloud. Smile

ps. what does "sack designer" mean?
Sglass

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2010 02:48 am
Does anyone think that her boobs have been enhanced?
msolga

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2010 02:49 am
@Sglass,
No, I think they ran out of fabric for that general area.

Or leather, or whatever almost covers her boobs.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2010 02:49 am
@msolga,
maybe he means like "Sacks Fifth Aveneu" Confused
msolga

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2010 02:56 am
@Sglass,
Maybe s/he meant sack the designer, seaglass?

I'll buy that! Wink
Sglass

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2010 03:03 am
@msolga,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Izaro label

Housed in an elegant double storey Victorian building in Hawthorn, Melbourne, gown couturiers, Izaro have built a reputation for unique, feminine and distinctive bridal gowns.

Behind the exotic sounding name – which refers to an ancient Brazilian goddess – are design duo Hong Pham and Mel Anton, who met at fashion school in 1998. Sharing the same aesthetic sensibility and passion for haute couture, the pair decided to team up as a business partnership during their final year of study.

First experimenting with eveningwear, they discovered the demand for bespoke pieces was not sufficient to sustain a business; that left bridal wear – one of the few fashion avenues in Australia that had the scope for customized gowns in luxe fabrics. “Both Hong and I love using expensive and elaborate laces and silks that are very exclusive in this market” “We recently traveled to Paris to purchase fabrics and laces for our new collection. We felt that we could remain very unique this way as no one else would have them and at the same time cutting out the middle man”

“We design as we please and are not restricted by seasonal trends, and find customers that are willing to pay for truly unique garments: The Izaro “look” quickly evolved into a vision of strong feminine beauty, celebrating the female form with a European flavour.

Often inspired by their international travels, old Hollywood, and women in theatre and film, Izaro creations are a statement of style and substance, said Hong. “We conjure up a feeling for a type of woman as we are designing a dress – we get inspiration from all sorts of places. We love exaggerated, fitted silhouettes and spend a lot of time ensuring the foundations of a gown are right. We ask ourselves, would we wear this dress? And try them on ourselves.”

Mel observes the average age of most brides is late 20s and early 30’s. Many of them are career women who want to look feminine but not necessarily conventional.

With the atelier located above the showroom, it is easy for the Izaro team to deliver a responsive, one-to-one service, where samples, fabrics, sketches and fittings of the actual gown, can all happen in one place. “Our customer is pretty much like us.”

“They run their own lives, are strong yet feminine. They want an element of tradition but don’t want to look mainstream. Whether the bride likes bold and eccentric or soft and simple, we work with them to create a look that is both beautiful and true to them.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I appears the designer specializes in wedding dresses.

So what is this outfit for, a bush wedding.

msolga

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2010 03:04 am
@Sglass,
They shoulda stayed in bridal wear.
msolga

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2010 03:07 am
@Sglass,
Quote:
So what is this outfit for, a bush wedding.

I think the only way you can get a proper answer to that question, seaglass, is to ask Izaro designs.
They must have a reason.

0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2010 03:08 am
@msolga,
and on that note seaglass is off to bed.
msolga

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2010 03:10 am
@Sglass,
And on this note, I must stop procrastinating & get on with what I must do!

Night night, seaglass.
0 Replies