A COMPLETELY USELESS PIECE OF TRIVIA

rosborne979

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 08:56 pm
The word "trivia" comes from the Latin "trivium" which is the place where three roads meet, a public square. People would gather and talk about all sorts of matters, most of which were trivial
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 08:57 pm
The first interracial kiss on American network television was in the "Star Trek" episode entitled "Plato's Stepchildren," which aired on November 22, 1968, when Captain Kirk (William Shatner) kissed Lieutenant Uhura (Nichelle Nichols). Some stations in the South (U.S.) originally refused to air the episode.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 09:12 pm
I thought I had rosborne in a mistake, but was cool enough to Google first. Here's what I came up with:
"April 8, 1968 - British singer Petula Clark appears on a US television special on NBC with Harry Belafonte as a guest. An innocent, affectionate gesture between the two during a song (Clark touched Belafonte on the arm) prompts concern from the show's sponsor (Plymouth Motors) due to the difference in their races, but the scene is aired intact at Clark's insistence. The special airs to high ratings and marks the first time two different races share friendly bodily contact on American television."
So, all these years, I though she and he kissed, but they only touched.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 09:18 pm
The first lesbian kiss on network television occurred only in 1991, in the 2/7/91 episode of NBC's L.A. LAW...
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:44 am
I had always heard that the first American TV couple to share the same bed were The Munsters' Lily and Herman Munster.

Wikipedia says that the Munsters first did this on 11/26/1964 in an episode called "Autumn Croakus".

However, Samantha and Darrin Stephens of Bewitched shared a bed a month earlier on 10/22/1964 in "Little Pitchers have Big Fears"

Those were the first incidences of non-married actors sharing the same bed. Before that, TV had to show twin beds or only one spouse in bed at a time.

A real-life married couple, Mary Kay and Johnny Stearns, apparently shared a bed in 1947 on their TV show "Mary Kay and Johnny", which I've never heard of. In 1947 it was a 15-minute show, and may arguably have been the first sitcom. There are no known episodes in existence today.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 08:20 pm
This isn't meant to be a trick question - I really don't know the answer - but was the concept of 'twin beds' developed because of film and television usage, or were they already common and simply used to get around film/tv censorship of the day?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 08:27 pm
The latter, lezzles. It's a hangover from what was called the Hayes Office in Hollywood in the 1930s through 1950s. It was the censorship arm of the Academny of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and laid down the law on what was and was not acceptable to be shown on film. A double bed -- even for married couples -- was taboo.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:05 pm
Thanks, MA! I have wondered about that for years.

I do remember reading about the strange rules for bedroom scenes, eg, never both in bed unless one actor was under the bedclothes and the other on top of the bedclothes; no kissing unless one actor had at least one foot on the floor; etc. It makes you laugh when you think of some of the movies of that era where the story line demanded that the protagonists had to share a bed and they hung a sheet or blanket down the centre of the bed. Guaranteed seduction stopper!!
0 Replies