Just How Much Can You Teach A Mule?

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 07:00 pm
Most everyone is very familiar with JJ my four and a half month old mule. He has been trying to heehaw. The problem is he sounds like a taradactyl and it is really quite a frightening sound. Will he grow out of this? Can you teach a mule how to heehaw by maybe playing recordings of other mules heehawing? He is such a beautiful mule-until he makes that sound.

Here is a recent picture of JJ (Joy's Jewel):

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/1529/jjwow.jpg

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,381 • Replies: 31
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 07:14 pm
@Arella Mae,
I suppose you should try to read him Plato or Aristotle. Don't try to teach him any of the sophists. He'll just start sounding more like a pterodactyl every lesson.

Or you could get him several seasons of Hee Haw on DVD or Blu-Ray.

Or better yet, get him to speak English by letting him watch the complete series of Mister Ed on DVD or Blu-Ray.

You couldn't perchance record his actual heehawing attempts so we can get a chance to see what he's trying to pull off. Please! With sugar on the top! Surprised
Arella Mae

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 07:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
LOL! You are very amusing and I love it! I do have a video on my facebook and it is set so everyone can access it. If you fastforward it to 32 seconds you can hear JJ. You really don't want to listen to anything before that because I am screaming at JJ and Buck so JJ will make his heehaw.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=415963338192&saved
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 07:35 pm
@Arella Mae,
It sounds like what I imagine a banshee in training would sound like!

Perhaps you can sell his talents as a sound effects donkey in horror films. Mad

It could be the next Wilhelm scream of the next Hollywood generation of sound engineers.
roger

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 07:36 pm
@Arella Mae,
Well, he is a mule. First, you've got to get his attention.
Arella Mae

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 07:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

It could be the next Wilhelm scream of the next Hollywood generation of sound engineers.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdbYsoEasio[/youtube]
You see what I mean? I am planning on JJ being a show mule He is gaited and he is gorgeous but I'm afraid if he opens his mouth......................well, you know.
Arella Mae

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 07:41 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Well, he is a mule. First, you've got to get his attention.
Actually, JJ is pretty responsive to me and even moreso with my husband. He is so smart but man, that heehaw has got to go.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 08:23 pm
Wow, mules sure do have hysterically funny noises coming from those wide open mouths. I've seen many struttin' their stuff in all different kinds of performances--dressage, jumping, etc, but haven't heard one yet Uh-Yaw- Yawka-haw during a show yet. They are extremely intelligent, according to a mule expert who should know. JJ sure is cute.
Arella Mae

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 08:25 pm
@Pemerson,
Pemerson wrote:

Wow, mules sure do have hysterically funny noises coming from those wide open mouths. I've seen many struttin' their stuff in all different kinds of performances--dressage, jumping, etc, but haven't heard one yet Uh-Yaw- Yawka-haw during a show yet. They are extremely intelligent, according to a mule expert who should know. JJ sure is cute.
Thank Pemerson. He is a doll but I'm biased. That's good to know they don't get vocal at shows. If JJ did I'm afraid he'd clear out the whole arena.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 10:16 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
LOL! You are very amusing and I love it! I do have a video on my facebook and it is set so everyone can access it. If you fastforward it to 32 seconds you can hear JJ. You really don't want to listen to anything before that because I am screaming at JJ and Buck so JJ will make his heehaw.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=415963338192&saved

U were right; he DID sound like a Pterodactyl.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 12:03 am
@Arella Mae,
tsarstepan wrote:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdbYsoEasio[/youtube]
Arella Mae wrote:
You see what I mean? I am planning on JJ being a show mule He is gaited and he is gorgeous
but I'm afraid if he opens his mouth......................well, you know.
Is he weaned ?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 02:25 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Aw David, you never heard a pterocactyl in your life.

You're how old, again?
dlowan

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 02:58 am
@Arella Mae,
Well, this is a donkey.

He's worse than that?

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 06:23 am
@dlowan,
Worse than that? OH YEAH! There is a video on my facebook (the link is in a previous post).. Fastforward to 32 seconds.

David,

He's not weaned yet. He's four and a half months old. I am so hoping he will grow into a new heehaw.
dlowan

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 07:56 am
@Arella Mae,
I DID listen.

He sounded like a sheep a LONG way away.
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 09:40 am
@dlowan,
Yikes! Glad I don't raise sheep.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 02:25 pm
@Arella Mae,
HELLLLOOOOOOO WILBUUUURR !!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 02:39 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

Worse than that? OH YEAH! There is a video on my facebook (the link is in a previous post).. Fastforward to 32 seconds.

David,

He's not weaned yet. He's four and a half months old. I am so hoping he will grow into a new heehaw.

He has a unique signature !

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 03:26 pm
@Arella Mae,

" Just How Much Can You Teach A Mule? "

Arella, your posts have indicated that JJ is a good candidate for a Ph D.
I think that he makes that noise, to manifest his interest in vertebrate paleontology !

However, he might have some difficulty in typing his dissertation.

I just hope that after he gets his doctorate, the other horses will not be jealous.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 03:40 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
Aw David, you never heard a pterocactyl in your life.

You're how old, again?
Suffice it to say that I 'm only partially petrified.