How do I get rid of japaneze beetles

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 04:41 pm
japaneze beetles are eating my plants

farmerman

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 05:05 pm
@Pat Clarke,
buy a bunch of those japanese beetle traps and give them to your neighbor to hang up. The beetles are attracted to the traps and will leave you alone more or less.

IT REALLY WORKS. I hung several trps out in a small orchard away from my gardens and all the beetles were there in about a week.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 05:15 pm
@farmerman,
Noooo Mr. Farmerman/Science Person/Understander of Darwin. The traps merely bring in tons of stupid male beetles who can't tell a female beetle from a sex trap. Enough males avoid the trap and mate with the females thus creating plenty of future beetles that are more likely to avoid the traps. People who use traps always end up with more beetles according to studies.

Best fix: hand picking. A female lays about 50 eggs per season so aim for the mating couples first. You can also look into a product called Milky Spore to control the grubs.
farmerman

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 08:16 pm
@Green Witch,
Thhats why I said to give the traps to your neighbor and let all the beetles go there.(We still dont have a convenient emoticon to let you know that it was sorta tonguee in cheek). I tried milky spore once and didnt really notice any diff the next year. The thing that got rid of most japanese beetles

1get rid of grapes

2 get rid of roses (I hate roses anyway-)

3 pick em off the basils.
0 Replies