IT WOUDA BEEN KINDA COOL . . . .

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 06:17 pm
@farmerman,
My mother hated Mama Leone's and that was back in 1950.. (who knows why she hated it, though).

Well, we're on the same page, Farmer. For me, so many great meals in a life all too short - and most of those weren't in the opulent places. Some of the best were at our friend Harvey Goldstein's dining room table.. that man knew food well and made the whole meal sing together. Wish I'd had the presence of mind to write some of his menus down. As it was, he was the one to introduce my husband and me into a wide world of food. If we would drive, he would pay. The drives sometimes were very long indeed.. We'd go to the "opulents" on one of our birthdays (with different ones of us picking up those checks). That was virtually always fun, but, again, mixed reviews.

One of my favorite all time restaurants is Joe's, still going in Venice, CA. Not expensive, and it was only blocks from our house. Most of my meals there made sense as a piece, taste after taste; if I ate 50 meals there over the years, I loved 49 of them. For Ms. Picky, that is a high number. It's still good - I was there last November - but the space is limited, probably a good thing, as the control over the food is good.

Well, here's the lunch menu - the number after the entre being the whole number, unless you wanted dessert, in which case, see below (then the total is $18.) Desserts good too, of course.
Coffee was probably extra, not sure. Even the coffee was delicious.

http://www.joesrestaurant.com/menu_lunch.php

farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 07:20 pm
@ossobuco,
There was a similar "Joes" in Reading Pa, that had quite a following from the 60's t5o about the 90's. The owner, Joe Czanecki, was a self trained chef whose signature dishes involved wild mushrooms, everything from Oysters to puffballs. He was in a reallly low part of town but was packed every night (due to the limited seating).
His son took over and basically turned it into a bistro. Thats when it disappeared.
I predict that Nobu will have the same fate.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 07:38 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
The best restaurant IVE EVER eatn at, was this little converted Acadian style house in Chatham New Brunswick. It only served local and fresh seafood dishes cooked in a "bruto" French/Italian style . Everything was served t6o order and was quite pricey and out of the way (Nobody goes to Chatham New Brunswick). ^Theplace was called the Fine Grob su Mer and opulence nerev entered the dining experience. Opulemce, when factored into anyt equation of good or fine dining, is often a cover up or a substitute for really great food.
If I don 't like the food,
I 'm certainly not going back there for food I don 't like.

farmerman wrote:
I used to eat at Nobus in NY when it was really good, or K Pauls in Nawlins when Prudhomme actually gave about his food. As the restauranat decayed into a "Treasured landmark status", the last thing to decay ws the "opulence", mainly cause its easy to tramp up a place with the hope that nobody's notice. I remember two NY places, one a steak house called Peters Back Yard, and the other an opulent Iti restaurant called Mama Leonis. Both of which, as years went on ,deteriorated in food quality and at the ame time spent huge amounts on dumass art collections by these really bad Italian production artists who loved painting Pagliacci style clowns. I hope both of those places are now belly up.
I used to eat at Leone's for many years. I agree with your assessment.
Toward the end the son who inherited it
sold it to Restaurant Associates.
You got your wish qua extinction.

David

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 07:40 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
ossobuco wrote:
Well, me, I've been involved in aspects of urban design and it's one of my keenest interests - I take the pulse of a city
with a lot of walking in it.
But, it's true, I probably liked walking, say in NYC, even as a child.

I do like taxis sometimes. When a2kers met in San Francisco in 2004, some fun escapades
were when a bunch of us shared taxis..
Osso, a point of Information, if I may?
I 've always been interested in how people see things
and how thay reason; its just inherently interesting, for its own sake.

How do u take the pulse of a city?
What do u look for?
What does it tell u ?
How do u apply that information in urban design ?

(I guess those r 4 points of information.)

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 07:42 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
There was a similar "Joes" in Reading Pa, that had quite a following from the 60's t5o about the 90's. The owner, Joe Czanecki, was a self trained chef whose signature dishes involved wild mushrooms, everything from Oysters to puffballs. He was in a reallly low part of town but was packed every night (due to the limited seating).
His son took over and basically turned it into a bistro. Thats when it disappeared.

I predict that Nobu will have the same fate.
I 'm not going back there; I don t think much of the food.

David
farmerman

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 04:43 am
@OmSigDAVID,
were you talking of Joes in Reading Pa or of Nobu?
My feelings about Nobu have accumulated over several years. I would eat there in the beginning years oif the 90's and the food was good and novel, when I quit going, the food was uninteresting and "overdressed"
farmerman

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 04:47 am
@OmSigDAVID,
What is your fav NY restaurant now DAve ? Ill be flying into Islip in several weeks for business meetings in "Islandia" so Ill stop by the city for some meals.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 06:50 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
What is your fav NY restaurant now DAve ?
Ill be flying into Islip in several weeks for business meetings
in "Islandia" so Ill stop by the city for some meals.
I like the Beef Wellington at 17 Barrow Street, in the Village,
a few steps from 7th Ave. One if By Land Two if By Sea
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 06:52 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
were you talking of Joes in Reading Pa or of Nobu?
My feelings about Nobu have accumulated over several years.
I would eat there in the beginning years oif the 90's and the food
was good and novel, when I quit going, the food was uninteresting and "overdressed"
Nobu.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 08:07 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

When I get a reccomendation fom someone whose career involves eating at fine restaurants, I will certainly take your advice.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 07:19 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
farmerman wrote:

When I get a reccomendation fom someone whose career involves eating at fine restaurants,
I will certainly take your advice.
Let us know how that works out.

David
0 Replies