Endangered Languages

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 11:50 am
Why is it that endangered languages get less media and social attention than endangered species?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,690 • Replies: 4
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 12:55 pm
@GoshisDead,
They are not as cute. Well, maybe the Bushman language is, but not so many people have heard it. Anyway, languages don't photograph as well.

I recall that several years ago, San Juan College in Farmington, NM was working with Rosetta Stone on a Navajo language project, though I'm not sure their language is really endangered.
GoshisDead

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 01:26 pm
@roger,
Navajo is technically not endangered, although it will be within the next generation. It is the only North American native Language that Isn't. The standard threshold for an endangered language is less than 100,000 native speakers.

True language aren't cute, lol. I've often wondered whether it is because people think that, the people in that culture have 'free will' and could speak it if they wanted.
0 Replies

NoOne phil

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 02:32 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

Why is it that endangered languages get less media and social attention than endangered species?

First of all, man is protolinguistic.
Secondly, that is about as interesting as asking why a bad hammer gets less media and social attention. Language is a tool evolving for a specific purpose.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 03:16 pm
@GoshisDead,
A language is only as viable as the people who speak it. If a language becomes extinct, it is only because there are not enough people who care to use the language. It then simply becomes an historical curiosity.

A living species is, IMO, a completely different issue.
0 Replies