3
   

Is "GOD" an Atheïst ?

 
 
Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 03:17 am
Does God believe He is a god, or does He suppres this Awareness ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,248 • Replies: 28

 
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 04:44 am
Why don't you ask him about it? Conduct an in depth interview?
Pepijn Sweep
 
  1  
Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 04:46 am
@edgarblythe,
If only... I have a questionair ready !
0 Replies
 
rosborne979
 
  1  
Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 06:38 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep wrote:
Does God believe He is a god, or does He suppres this Awareness ?

We are the Universe perceiving itself. We are all that there is. God is a collective idiot savant, believing in everything and nothing from moment to moment.
Pepijn Sweep
 
  1  
Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 06:48 am
@rosborne979,
What a joy reading your answer ! Very Happy
rosborne979
 
  1  
Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 07:10 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep wrote:
What a joy reading your answer ! Very Happy

Glad you liked it. I felt inspired by your question to write something which sounds profound, but is probably meaningless. Wink Have fun.
0 Replies
 
Mame
 
  1  
Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 07:10 am
I disagree with Rosborne. In another thread someone said God was a stapler. I tend to agree with that.
Pepijn Sweep
 
  1  
Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 11:58 am
@Mame,
One employed in assorting wool in according to it's staple... Right
0 Replies
 
edgarblythe
 
  3  
Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 03:03 pm
How can we be certain this God is a he? Anyone seen its genetalia?
Pepijn Sweep
 
  1  
Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 03:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
That´s Isis´Question =
ossobuco
 
  2  
Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 03:43 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Speaking of Isis, I'll tangent (it's my way, you know). Have you been to Rome, Pep? I know now that you are a Dan Brown follower. Me, I can't stand his writing, but never mind that. Vive la difference..

Anyway, the rather lovely church, Santa Maria de Sopra Minerva, is built approximately over the temple to Isis.. (a typical church building maneuver back then, but ne'er mind).

I happen to be a tad nuts about italy since I went there in middle age and was stunned by much I saw, and afterwards read several hundred books of all sorts about it. One of the more interesting, in that it differed from many guide type books, was A Virago Woman's Guide to Rome. Lots of interesting tidbits in that, however biased the author's take was.
link - http://www.amazon.com/Virago-Womans-Travel-womans-travel/dp/0915233908

Pepijn Sweep
 
  1  
Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 03:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Maria, Minerva ... Both paying tribute to Isis >O<

No...Never...EVER been to Rome 2 Cents
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  2  
Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 04:52 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep wrote:

Does God believe He is a god, or does He suppres this Awareness ?


He is a theist...he believes in himself...."Thou shalt have no other gods but me."


Hold on, he might well, from that, be a polytheist. That sounds like he may well be aware of a passel of other gods, but wants the poor Jews to worship only him...because, as he says, he's a jealous god.

Sheesh...what a putz!

Thomas
 
  2  
Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 06:57 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
He is a theist...he believes in himself...."Thou shalt have no other gods but me."

Sounds like a pretty insecure god to me. I think what he's really saying in the First Commandment is his the mantra his self-help support group makes him say every morning while shaving: "I'm going to do a terrific show today! And I'm gonna help people! Because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and, doggonit, people like me!" (Al Franken wrote that for him.)
Sentience
 
  1  
Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 08:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
Biblically God is a man. Though I can assume this is much more than just Yaweh.

How do we define God as any gender, when he is not physical? If he does not have an opposite gender as a counterpart, what is the point of having gender if you cannot mate? If he is not composed of matter or have physical form, how would he have sexual organs? What makes a man a man?

0 Replies
 
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 08:12 pm
All I know is, he seems very much like Burl Ives in The Big Country.
edgarblythe
 
  2  
Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 08:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
Except he don't have balls, apparently.
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 08:23 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

dlowan wrote:
He is a theist...he believes in himself...."Thou shalt have no other gods but me."

Sounds like a pretty insecure god to me. I think what he's really saying in the First Commandment is his the mantra his self-help support group makes him say every morning while shaving: "I'm going to do a terrific show today! And I'm gonna help people! Because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and, doggonit, people like me!" (Al Franken wrote that for him.)


Oh my yes.

Jealousy's a curse.
0 Replies
 
SammDickens
 
  1  
Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 09:52 pm
Are you asking if God is self-aware? The God of the Abrahamic religions is, but then he is a man-made image of God. And Men said unto themselves, "Come, let us make God in our image, that we may understand him and attribute our own insane motives to him." And verily they did so. Rolling Eyes

But the real God, the real creative and sustaining force of the universe? Well, I recognize two distinct types of intelligence, the intelligence of Man and the intelligence of the Seed. Men are born ignorant (tabula rasa) and constantly acquire knowledge through experience and logical analysis, but this means their initial wisdom is woefully lacking and since their knowledge is always increasing it must never be perfect and complete. To the contrary, the seed is formed with all the knowledge it needs to build a stem of grass, a rose bush, a tall sycamore tree. Its knowledge will not increase, but it will not need to. Its knowledge is complete and entirely adequate to the purpose of creation.

God's intelligence is seed intelligence, complete in its wisdom to the purpose of universal creation and sustenance. Is God self-aware? Well, I don't know. Is the seed self-aware? Is DNA self-aware?

And about God's gender... If the universe comes from God as the oak from the acorn, we would expect the creation to have the gender of its creator. Cosmology tells us that the universe began with an equivalence of matter and anti-matter but that in the collisions of the two forms of matter, anti-matter was nearly eliminated while regular matter dominated as it continues to do in our universe today. So God's gender appears to be material rather than anti-material. However, the only difference between matter and anti-matter is the opposition of their electrical charges (and maybe a few other oppositions of which I am not aware???). Now matter is matter and anti-matter is anti-matter only because the one is dominant and the other is rare. If anti-matter had dominated in our universe, we would call it matter and call matter anti-matter. The designations are subjective.

So is our assignment of gender to deity. It too is subjective and really meaningless, except for what it says about us. And you don't need me to explain what that is. Wink

Samm
0 Replies
 
failures art
 
  1  
Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 11:19 pm
How could a god know if their were no other gods? If two or more omniscient and omnipotent beings coexisted, how could they hide their existence form the other or unveil the existence of the other?

In other words, if a god exists, it has no ability to really evaluate if other gods exist or not. In that regard, all gods could be atheists... Perhaps they would have to be...

Kind of throws monotheism out.

A
R
T
 

Related Topics

 
  1. Forums
  2. » Is "GOD" an Atheïst ?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 02:13:30