What should I do?

SPC8787

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 09:01 pm
I caught my 14 year old smoking marijuana and drinking beer. What should I do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,636 • Replies: 10
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 06:26 am
On a regular basis? or was this a one time thing? More info needed.

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 07:38 am
@PUNKEY,
I agree about more info.

Also, how much have you talked to your kid about this in the past? Would you be starting from scratch? If you talked about it before, how did it go/ what was your approach?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 07:49 am
@SPC8787,
Yup, yup. More info definitely needed.
0 Replies

SPC8787

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 02:04 pm
This is the only time I know of. This is the first time I caught him
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 02:13 pm
OK - then make it a learning thing . . .

Tell your son youlove him and you want better things for him than him using mind/mood altering substances at so young an age.

Then paste a $100 bill on the frig. and tell him it's his if he does not use. He collects in 6 months if he's clean. String a bunch of 6 months together . . . Hey, it's cheaper than a lawyer . . .

Keep him busy, spend time with him having fun. (remember, drinking and drug use at this age is exciting & fun, so you need to find exciting things to do)

Most importantly, WATCH out for what he does in the future. Young minds and bodies get addicted very easily.
0 Replies

BarbieQPickle

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 02:53 am
@SPC8787,
Really doesn't matter what you do, either way he's still going to do it. He'll just find new ways to get out of the house or lies to think of. I started smoking and drinking when I was 16, I'm 27 now and I still do. I used to walk around the neighborhood, go smoke weed in the woods with my 2 friends and some cigs then walk home an hour or two later. He'll either grow out of it or into it, but either way it'll be up to him. I've also been in college for 3 years going for Nuclear Medicine. Most people don't know it but I'm sure majority of the world does smoke weed, its legal in multiple states as well as countries. It's really not that bad. If anything alcohol is way worse. I don't even know if I've ever met anyone who doesn't or hasn't drank or smoke. My personal friends that do this also have joined the army, bought houses, gotten masters degrees, became registered nurses, photographers, and etc. My main concern would be just making sure he doesn't turn into an alcoholic or an alcohol abuser, which would take at least 5 years anyways. Trust me, his whole school drinks and smokes weed and cigarette's. Probably 12% don't. Oh and I was a virgin until I was 18 and have great morals and values sooo...take it how you will.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 06:03 am
He's 14 for heaven's sake!!

Kids don't need those kind of chemicals in their bodies on a regular basis. There is increasing evidence that early-on use of drugs and alcohol damages young brains and bodies.

Kids CAN say No. (Ever try to get them into a suit or eat brocolli?) so just getting kids to not seek out mind / mood altering substances at that age is worth the effort.

NOT using is the NORM.

I find it funny when someone says EVERYONE drinks or uses drugs.

It just ain't so.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 06:14 am
@SPC8787,
Quote:
I caught my 14 year old smoking marijuana and drinking beer. What should I do?

Try to spend more time with him/her doing fun things together.
Talk about and get to know his/her friends.
Encourage him/her to invite his/her friends to your house.
Be an ear and an outlet.
Sometimes kids do stuff their friends do just because they don't want to be left out of the loop and they don't have anything else to do or anyone else to do it with. Maybe you can provide another outlet or a safe haven.

My daughter says stuff like, 'There's a party tonight, but I don't want to go. Do you have any plans - can we go to a movie or something?'

Be available to him/her.

And if nothing else, at least you'll be informed as opposed to uninformed. If s/he continues to drink and smoke pot, at least you'll know who s/he's doing it with. That's better than the alternative.

0 Replies

BarbieQPickle

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 01:21 am
lol
0 Replies

methysethy

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 09:37 pm
@SPC8787,
cut off the beer, tell him when hes 16 he can smoke pot, try using the pot to help boost his grades for example if he gets below a 80% he wont be able to. its helpful and dont lie to him saying pot kills him because he'll think your lieing about everything else.
0 Replies