What are you listening to right now?

layman

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 03:40 pm
@panzade,
Quote:
I believe that's the soundtrack from This Town Party video

Good catch, Panz. I should have posted the video, because the sound quality is poor either way. I was thinking I might be posting a studio version. Eddie played some killer guitar on that tune, but is doesn't come through that well here.
Quote:

Cochran's revered in the UK but not so much in the US.

Yeah, and it's a shame. That's one reason I posted it--to give Eddie some "exposure" to those who might be interested in his (antiquated, but never obsolete) style of music.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 04:29 pm
@panzade,
And now for something completely different. Take a listen from 0:22 seconds onward:

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 05:19 pm
@Ragman,
My wife yacking on the phone with her brother.
layman

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 05:31 pm
@panzade,
Quote:
Cochran's revered in the UK but not so much in the US.

Here's an appreciation of Cochran's guitar magic. A bit technical, but guitarists should enjoy it.

http://www.guitarplayer.com/miscellaneous/1139/under-investigation-eddie-cochran/23141

Thanks for that cite, Panz, and in the spirit of promoting Eddie's work, I'm gunna quote some excerpts from it:

Quote:
Born in Minnesota and raised in Oklahoma, Cochran was a highly accomplished if not revolutionary singer, multi-instrumentalist, songwriter, and producer whose career was cut tragically short. He was in the public eye for barely four years before his untimely death in a British taxi crash in April, 1960. Though Cochran attained near- Elvis status in the U.K., his work was and remains criminally overlooked in the U.S., bolstered mostly by popular cover versions of his songs and torch carriers like Brian Setzer. Notable Cochran covers range from the obvious (“Summertime Blues” by the Who and Blue Cheer) to the obscure (Krautrockers Guru Guru with their “Roken Mit Eduard Medley” hilariously sung in phonetic English). Listen closely and you’ll discover bits and pieces of E.C. lurking in the music of Led Zeppelin, Marc Bolan, David Bowie, and a host of others.

Cochran released only one album during his lifetime ... Immerse yourself in it, and you’ll uncover a staggeringly rich motherlode of performances, outtakes, rehearsals, and demos in a surprisingly wide range of styles. Particularly astonishing are Cochran’s multi-tracked and varispeed- effected cuts, many of which rival the best work of Les Paul. It’s also interesting to note the absence of guitar flash on most of Cochran’s hits—the songs just didn’t call for it

panzade

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 06:02 pm
@Ragman,
That's remarkable.How did you hear about him?
panzade

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 06:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
My wife yacking on the phone with her brother.
Very Happy
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 06:05 pm
@layman,
Nice post.
This is the kind of learning I love on this thread.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 06:38 pm
@panzade,
saw him on Ed Sullivan or Laugh-In in the '60s.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 08:41 pm
@Ragman,
That song was actually on the top 40 many years back.. My husband and I danced to it at our wedding. (ok, thats a joke, but I remember my mother knew the lyrics and would sing along, it was funny.)

Back to Eddie Cochran, he may have had a bigger impact if only he hadn't died so young. In the late 50's-early 60's, Roy Orbison, Carl Perkins, Chuck Berry, Little Richard (in 1956 he had 9 hits in the US and 5 in Britain) and many many early Rock and Roll artists toured Great Britain and other Western European countries. Europe and Canada have always been big fans of Jazz, Blues and all the iterations of Rock and Roll and have been terrific supporters of this music. It should be no surprise that talented British groups became masters of the medium, hence the 'British Invasion'.

As much as American kids loved Rock & Roll and Motown or Soul, the artists had to perform in small venues and usually with several other acts. In 1967, my parents dropped me and 4 other girls off at the Civic Center to see a huge line-up of acts touring. It was a bonanza of performers, I don't remember all the acts, but I remember the 4 Tops, The Temptations, Jackie Wilson and Oh my God, James Brown. He did Night Train (a Balto fav) something I don't remember and finished with 'Please, please, please' with the cape and everything. It was years before I realized that if black artists were performing in white areas they needed multiple acts in order to make a profit, and more basically to find hotels and restaurants that would serve black people. James Brown performed as a solo that night, and was backed up by the band all the other acts used. I wish I could remember all the acts, but I was a kid and just pixilated by the music.
panzade

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 08:49 pm
@glitterbag,
nice post gb.
In 1967 I was attending Jefferson Airplane and Beach Boys concerts. I had never heard of James Brown.
layman

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2015 12:31 am
@layman,
Quote:
It’s also interesting to note the absence of guitar flash on most of Cochran’s hits—the songs just didn’t call for it

I just never quite could get into what were originally called "heavy metal" bands, i.e., those with three guitars, all generally trying to play bout a million notes a minute.

Jimi Hendrix was playing with (and staying at the home of) the Isley Brothers when the Beatles first played on Ed Sullivan.

When it was over, one of them said: "Well, they have 3 guitars, but we have Jimi."

glitterbag

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2015 12:41 am
@panzade,
I never saw Jefferson Airplane but I did see the Beach Boys. They were so young and had the striped shirts. I just read that Grace Slick is 76, how did that happen. The Baltimore Civic Center hosted a ton of acts, I saw the Rolling Stones on their first US trip. The 'Beatles" also performed there, but (I must have been nuts) I didn't want to go.

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2015 11:32 am
@layman,
That's a great quote
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/2KTsVY98290/hqdefault.jpg
0 Replies

layman

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2015 03:21 pm
The great Isley Brothers. The Beatles (and many others) covered this tune, and had big hit with another Isley tune, "Twist and Shout." Lennon said they imitated them a lot, to the point that, for awhile, virtually every song they did included the Isley's trademark "ooooooowoooooo"

They aint playin. Well, I mean not about everything.

0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2015 03:52 pm
@panzade,
I need a change of pace, I'm going to load some Lyle Lovett in the CD player. I want to here, 'That's right you're not from Texas'. After that, some early Randy Newman.
panzade

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2015 04:01 pm
@glitterbag,
goood stuff
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2015 04:07 pm
It is late evening here and I have now changed into my leopard skin mankini, smoking jacket and novelty Christmas party socks.

Barry White is playing on the stereogram and I am awaiting the arrival of my deep dish hawaiian pizza, ordered by phone from Nick the Greek's Pizzeria and Indian Takeaway on Catford High Road.

Life doesn't get much better than this......l
glitterbag

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2015 05:25 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I'm green with envy, oh wait, maybe I'm just green.
Ragman

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2015 05:28 pm
@glitterbag,
It's not that easy...wait, wait...:
[youtube] https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play?p=kermit+the+frog+singing+it%27s+not+easy+being+green&vid=de187c763f56f7716694768d6b7539b5&turl=http%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DWN.o83cNOSS9bDRV7vTt6gnqA%26pid%3D15.1%26h%3D320%26w%3D320%26c%3D7%26rs%3D1&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DRIOiwg2iHio&tit=Sesame+Street+-+Bein%26%2339%3B+Green+%281969%29&c=10&h=320&w=320&l=114&sigr=11bmdrvp0&sigt=1167vk0iv&sigi=12lvu5u8m&ct=p&age=1161976644&fr2=p%3As%2Cv%3Av&fr=yhs-avg-fh_lsonsw&hsimp=yhs-fh_lsonsw&hspart=avg&tt=b [/youtube]
glitterbag

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2015 07:29 pm
@Ragman,
ahhhhahahahahahhaah, you scamp.
0 Replies