@patiodog,
he's something else!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 12:51 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
I don't particularly care for Willie Nelson, but this song is just so lovely

This is from a remarkable Nelson album produced by Booker T Jones of Memphis Stax fame.
In my opinion this is one of the best arranged albums ever put out.

http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/w/willie-nelson/album-stardust.jpg
Gargamel

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 09:30 pm
@panzade,
I had no idea Booker T produced that album, which I just came to know well this fall when I found a vinyl copy used. I could listen to it anytime, provided the sun has set.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 09:35 pm
@panzade,
Yes there are some great songs on that album, but as I said, I only can take
so much of Willie Nelson. You need to have an acquired taste for his voice...
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 10:41 pm
This just might be my all time favourite new wave track

Good ole xtc, using all those odd notes everyone else ignores.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 05:25 pm
Another all time fave - from tasteful soppy to wacked out spacey.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 05:28 pm
Apparently shuffle is showing off today...

panzade

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 06:58 pm
@hingehead,
The original kick-ass version

hingehead

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 07:14 pm
@panzade,
Not original, 'earliest known commercial recording'. My db has a writing credit to W. Roberts - a quick check of wikipedia gives:

"Hey Joe" was registered for copyright in the U.S. in 1962 by Billy Roberts.[3] Scottish folk singer Len Partridge has claimed that he helped write the song with Roberts when they both performed in clubs in Edinburgh in 1956.

Roberts was a relatively obscure California-based folk singer, guitarist and harmonica player who performed on the West Coast coffeehouse circuit. He later recorded the country rock album Thoughts of California with the band Grits in San Francisco in 1975, produced by Hillel Resner. Resner has stated that a live recording of Roberts performing "Hey Joe" exists, dating from 1961.

Roberts possibly drew inspiration for "Hey Joe" from three earlier works: his girlfriend Niela Miller's 1955 song "Baby, Please Don’t Go To Town" (which uses a similar chord progression based on the circle of fifths); Carl Smith's 1953 US country hit "Hey Joe!" (written by Boudleaux Bryant), which shared the title and the "question and answer" format; and the early 20th century traditional ballad "Little Sadie", which tells of a man on the run after he has shot his wife. The lyrics to "Little Sadie" often locate the events in Thomasville, North Carolina and Jericho, (near Hollywood, South Carolina). Roberts was himself born in South Carolina.

Variations of "Little Sadie" have been recorded under various titles (including "Bad Lee Brown", "Penitentiary Blues", "Cocaine Blues", "Whiskey Blues") by many artists, including Clarence Ashley (1930), Johnny Cash (1960 & 1968), Slim Dusty (1961), and Bob Dylan (1970).

Despite extensive archives of U.S. folk and blues music, and studies of the same, in the Library of Congress, the Smithsonian Institution, and other bodies, no documentary evidence has been provided to support the claim, by the late Tim Rose and others, that "Hey Joe" is a wholly traditional work. (see also the article on "Morning Dew" regarding Rose and song copyrights).

Roberts' song gained fans in the Los Angeles music scene of the mid-1960s, which led to fast-paced recordings in 1965 and 1966 by The Leaves, The Standells, The Surfaris, Love, The Music Machine, and The Byrds, swiftly making the song a garage rock classic. Both Dino Valenti and The Byrds' David Crosby have been reported as helping to popularize the song before it was recorded by The Leaves in December 1965.

Now I'm listening to Wilson Pickett's version - more Muscle Shoals soul, but with the slower pacing of Hendrix rather than uptempo Leaves style.
hingehead

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 10:43 pm
Oz Rock for a Friday afternoon!

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2011 12:57 pm
@hingehead,
Yes...good stuff..I've heard Dino Valenti and David Crosby singing the song.
Until I hear a recording of Roberts singing Hey Joe dated 1961 I'll consider the Leaves version the original
panzade

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2011 01:07 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
Now I'm listening to Wilson Pickett's version

...that's Duane Allman on guitar
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2011 07:10 pm
@panzade,
Quote:
Until I hear a recording of Roberts singing Hey Joe dated 1961 I'll consider the Leaves version the original

Man, it's so obvious you've never been a cataloguer. Lucky bastard. Very Happy
hingehead

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2011 05:55 am
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2011 03:41 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
Lucky bastard.

You got that right!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 04:00 pm
Heeheehee

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 11:17 pm
Psychobilly!

hingehead

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 04:33 pm
Actually I was listening to Kunji by Decoder Ring but found this on youtube instead....

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 05:30 pm
@hingehead,
heavy metal Elvis!