What are you listening to right now?

panzade

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 09:21 pm
@Swimpy,
just amazing he succumbs on the same day as Jacko. The Seeds made a big impression on us teenagers when we were forming our first garage bands.
R.I.P.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 10:35 pm
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 12:37 pm
@Swimpy,
Manhata from Caetano Veloso's Livro c.d.

http://musicabrasileira.org/reviewsinterviews/cvlivro.html
ehBeth

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 01:10 pm
@ehBeth,

the only reasonable English translation of o navio negreiro I could find

http://www.revista.agulha.nom.br/calves01b.html
mismi

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 01:14 pm
@ehBeth,
Boston and Atlanta on Fox. And play by plays by three little boys.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 01:38 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
The Englishman " cold mariner
Who from birth found himself at sea
(Because England is a ship,
Which God anchored in the Channel),

marvelous lyrics
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 09:37 pm
The Doors first album....
panzade

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 03:39 am
@hingehead,
An album that hit my little social group hard. Has a rock band ever announced itself with a tougher intro? Break On Through To The Other Side....man, that's powerful.
"
Quote:
In November 1966, Mark Abramson directed a promotional film for the lead single "Break On Through (To the Other Side)." In hindsight this has been seen as a significant advance toward the development of the music video phenomenon.

Quote:
The songs "Break on Through (To the Other Side)" and "The End" were both released censored with the album. During "Break on Through" the part where Jim Morrison sings "She gets, she gets" was originally recorded as "She gets high." The interlude singing part near the end of "The End" was censored and taken out. It included Jim using the word **** over and over. Subsequent releases of the album have both of the original parts intact, although 1980s compact disc reissues keep the verses censored. The band accepted this censorship but would supposedly refuse later to reword "Light my Fire" in their infamous Ed Sullivan Show performance ("Girl we couldn't get much higher").

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/98/TheDoorsTheDoorsalbumcover.jpg

The soundtrack for the whole summer of '67 had to be"Light My Fire"...it was everywhere you turned . But we were also mesmerized by the weirdness of Weil and Brecht's Alabama Song and the slut-bucket blues of Willie Dixon's Back Door Man.

But in the end, it was "The End" that announced a lyricist to be reckoned with:
Quote:
"The End"'s Oedipal climax was first performed live at the Whisky A Go Go and The Doors were thrown out as a result of lead vocalist Jim Morrison screaming "Mother...I want to **** you!" near the climax of the song.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Doors

Swimpy

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 08:27 am
aidan

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 12:50 pm
@Swimpy,
Swimpy's choice made me think of Easter which made me think of this:

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 06:45 pm
@panzade,
I can only imagine what it was like to hear it back then. It still holds up and my ears were raised on stuff played by bands influenced by it. The End is stunning.

What amazes me is that apparently many of Morrison's lyrical ideas came from a notebook of poetry he wrote while doing film studies and living in Venice Beach before the band broke. And how much of those ideas came from incidents in his childhood. Weird. He plumbed those notes for the band's entire career.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 05:12 pm
@Gargamel,
Quote:
Dave Van Ronk has been blowing my mind tonight. On a whim I just decided to download a few of his tunes. I was only peripherally aware of him, as a fixture of the 60s Village folk scene. But holy crap. What a voice. What sincerity. In particular I was listening to a live version of Both Sides Now.

You know, white boys trying to sing the blues often grate on my nerves. But there's no posturing in Dave Van Ronk's voice.
My understood of that was that (and I can't recall or remember where I heard about it) was he wanted it to be called Clouds and even said something on that to Joni Mitchell. It has also been noted he has a much better delivery of the lyrics than most others but that might be open to debate.

And with that in mind and in recogninition on the what would have been #73 in the birthday list I find myself once yet more again listening to Sunday Street. Well done piece and as usual highlighting his guitar skils.

It was in sense of that Van Ronk's music put me through a mild health manet a few seasons back and even now I turn to his sounds for comfort. (and don't any body tell me that's strange because we know it's not)

On the Sunday Street album and now in CD forming Van Ronk also performs a suberb rendition of Joni Mitchell's That Song About The Midway.

So any rate at that's where I'm at in listening right now. Well that and the occasional sound of air.

panzade

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 05:18 pm
@patiodog,
Quote:
(Are ye familiar with Gogol Bordello, Dag? Nutty Ukrainian punkish singer, band mainly Israeli musicians, all transplanted to New York.)

2007 dawg...now it's 2009 and he's starring in a Madonna movie...good call
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 05:29 pm

Eartha Kitt just Kills me!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 05:37 pm
Sturgis reminded me of a Joni Mitchell song and this young lady from UK moves me....great rendition

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 05:45 pm
@Sturgis,
My fave album was Dave Van Ronk and the Hudson Dusters. Here's the line up of songs and Dave's comments which you alluded to.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/52/AndTheHudsonDusters.jpg

Side one

1. "Alley Oop" (Frazier) " 3:38
2. "Head Inspector" (Van Ronk) " 2:06
3. "Swing on a Star" (Burke-Van Heusen) " 2:37
4. "Mr. Middle" (Bogardus-Woods) " 3:02
5. "Chelsea Morning" (Joni Mitchell) " 2:33
6. "Clouds (From Both Sides Now)" (Joni Mitchell) " 4:37

Side two

1. "Keep Off the Grass" (Dave Woods, Doris Woods) " 2:08
2. "Dink's Song" (Bess B Lomax, John A Lomax) " 3:34
3. "New Dreams" (Dave Woods, Doris Woods) " 2:22
4. "Cocaine" (Reverend Gary Davis) " 4:58
5. "Romping Through the Swamp" (Peter Stampfel) " 1:58

Van Ronk on the album

The six Dusters cuts on this disc make me think that we were probably too eclectic for the market we were courting, and that a thinking man's rock and roll is a bit like a white blackbird.Even so, I think they represent one of the high points of my recording career.

They are: ALLEY OOP - by the Hollywood Argyles out of W. C. Fields, through Frank Zappa.

CHELSEA MORNING - Joni Mitchell. I may have been the first New Yorker to fall in love with her. She was still living in Detroit when we met.

CLOUDS - Joni didn't like my tampering with her title for this one. She insisted (justifiably) that the original title (Both Sides Now) be included. Still, though, she did entitle her next album "Clouds."

SWING ON A STAR -I learned from Bing Crosby in Going My Way, but it never occurred to me to perform it until I saw Luke Faust do his Buster Keatonish reading.

DINK'S SONG - probably the best piece of singing as such I've ever done on record. I had a nasty flu when we cut this one, and my voice had gone pre-laryngitic. This had the effect of opening up an octave valve I didn't even know I had. The next day I couldn't talk, let alone sing.

ROMPING THROUGH THE SWAMP - by Peter Stampfel. Peter once told me that my version of this had a bit more dignity than his, and, God help us, I think he's right. -- [1]

0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 09:15 am
aidan

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 09:44 am
@aidan,
The last one was for my home - this one is for my family:
aidan

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 09:50 am
@aidan,
for my mom
aidan