What are you listening to right now?

aidan

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 05:03 am
I went to see Ernie Williams last night:
Quote:
Biography
Ernie played his first guitar in the 30's; he was 13 and living in a shack on a Virginia Plantation. He spent his days picking tobacco and his nights bending the blues on a beat up six-string. By the 40's, he earned the right to play with the local bluesmen at the Saturday night Fish Fries in Halifax County, Virginia. At the age of 19, he bought a one-way ticket to Harlem, NY with the $9.00 it took him a year to save - he was moving north to go after his dream.

In the 50's, he played as many as 7 nights a week. From amateur nights at the famed Apollo Theater to juke joints in the dark corners of the city, he was making his mark as a young showman. In the 60's, life demands brought him north to Albany, NY. He worked odd jobs day and night to support his family. His dream was put on hold.

In the 70's when the blues scene was waning, he formed a new band, playing gigs in local bars and hosting blues jams whenever he could slip away from his minimum wage jobs. Over the next two decades, he maintained his post as a fixture of Albany's blues community, a scene hidden away in the dingy rooms of the city's toughest neighborhoods.

In 1992, he formed yet another band and, 53 years after he played his first note, Ernie Williams was about to realize his dream.

Although the band members have changed through the years, Ernie has remained one of the most beloved performers in the region. From the House of Blues in Boston to Buddy Guy's Legends in Chicago; from festivals to opening slots for major recording acts, Ernie has been a force to be reckoned with. Ernie and his band represented the East Coast in KLON's National Blues Talent Search and walked away with a prize for first runner up; on two occasions they received a Critic's Choice column in the "Chicago Reader". To date, Ernie has released six CD's.

At 80+ years young, Ernie continues to say "this is just the beginning". Knowing his spirit and motivation, that's entirely possible!

He's 82 years old and just incredible - if anyone in this area NY ever gets the opportunity to see him - don't pass it up- his band is amazing - especially the saxophonist.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e08ULSTkgbM

I'm listening to u2 and BB King : when loves come to town

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2M54u5aIGU&feature=related
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 10:23 am
Toni Braxton - Spanish Guitar

Toni Braxton - Love Should Have Brought You Home
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 10:29 am
Q-tip
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 03:06 pm
The Supremes--Love Is Like an Itching In My Heart
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 03:11 pm
Haha, I am always amazed at the wide spectrum of songs you listen to,
Gargamel.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 03:36 pm
Oh I've always been a sucker for Motown, and the Supremes just slay me. If you listen to You Can't Hurry Love, you hear that same boogie (also made popular by Iggy Pop's Lust for Life) that every contemporary indie rock band uses at some point. It would totally still be a huge hit if released today, particularly when you think about groups like Belle and Sebastian and Arcade Fire, what with their affinity for flutes and strings.

But yeah, I suppose it's a contrast to some other songs I've posted on here (e.g. Everybody Makes Me Barf by Fang).
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 03:39 pm
The music I listen to is dictated by Gargamel. If he tells me to listen to the Captain and Tenille.... I jump at that ****.

The man knows his music, and I remain his humble musical servant.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 03:41 pm
Gus, you will now listen to Alvin and the Chipmunks cover of Achy Breaky Heart
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 03:42 pm
Yes, Master. As you say.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 03:45 pm
That was way cool. Thanks, Gar.

Can I call you Gar?

Or has the master/student relationship not achieved such a level?
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 03:47 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
That was way cool. Thanks, Gar.

Can I call you Gar?

Or has the master/student relationship not achieved such a level?

It is the clay that shapes the pot, but it is the emptiness inside that we use.

If that answers your question.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 03:48 pm
In volumes.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 03:48 pm
I do not deserve such a teacher.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 03:49 pm
What else would there be inside but emptiness, Master?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 03:49 pm
Or, if you speak of solid pots, please retract my question and continue the brow-beatings.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 04:20 pm
I'm never disappointed.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 12:52 pm
Why
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk4lCXt7JKo
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 01:10 pm
YALIN - Sonsuz Ol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFrFw7LJUmI

...apparently very deep and heartbreaking.... all i see is cheasy and cheap...but what the hell do i know about azerbaijani music Laughing
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 03:27 pm
Looks that way to me, too. And makes me feel like I'm sitting over a cheap tablecloth, swishing around bottled beer with the label water-damaged and faded, waiting for a half-dreaded ground meat appetizer to show up. But maybe that's just me.

Been listening to Devin Davis loud while driving around town. Checked youtube, nothing there to do it justice...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 03:31 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
YALIN - Sonsuz Ol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFrFw7LJUmI

...apparently very deep and heartbreaking.... all i see is cheasy and cheap...but what the hell do i know about azerbaijani music Laughing

This type of music makes me nervous and edgy - can't listen to it!
I hope it isn't the Russian poet's favorite song, dag. Shocked
0 Replies