For anybody who has ever questioned their faith, I found my answer here

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 04:57 am
Millions of people from all religions have at some point questioned there faith; as have I. There is so much that we don't know, and our choice is to have faith or reject our religion. Even the slightest seed of doubt can create cracks in the very foundation of belief.

I questioned my faith, and I found this on youtube, and it made all the sense in the world. Some quotes from this are unbelievable, they reflect exactly how I feel, and helped me alot.

I hope it will do the same for you,

YouTube - Kayos - Faith (Produced by Wzdm)

Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,101 • Replies: 25
No top replies

nijandjo

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 06:23 am
@kieranvyas,
thank you for posting this i found it really interesting!

When he says, "now I'm older, I realise the curse of a colour"
and when he says, "I don't know where it goes, but I know I gotta find out"
it really demonstrates the difficulties and hardships of remaining in faith.

Thank you for sharing!
0 Replies

mapleleaf cv

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 06:25 am
@kieranvyas,
kieranvyas;71522 wrote:
Millions of people from all religions have at some point questioned there faith; as have I. There is so much that we don't know, and our choice is to have faith or reject our religion. Even the slightest seed of doubt can create cracks in the very foundation of belief.

I questioned my faith, and I found this on youtube, and it made all the sense in the world. Some quotes from this are unbelievable, they reflect exactly how I feel, and helped me alot.

I hope it will do the same for you,

YouTube - Kayos - Faith (Produced by Wzdm)

Thank you

Wonderful...thank you.
stevensays

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 06:35 am
@mapleleaf cv,
amazing! thank youuu
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 07:04 am
@stevensays,
As someone who lost faith many years ago, I much to say on this topic. I cannot maintain belief against good conscience. The doubt stems from inconsistencies in such a system of thought, and to expose and acknowledge these inconsistencies I am no longer at war with myself. More and more people I find are starting to question the contrivances of man-made religions.

You cannot force yourself to believe something that truly you do not believe, that truly you doubt. It will only make for a troubled mind. At one time I felt ashamed of my doubt, and now I embrace it, and I am much better for it.
kieranvyas

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 07:23 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;71532 wrote:
As someone who lost faith many years ago, I much to say on this topic. I cannot maintain belief against good conscience. The doubt stems from inconsistencies in such a system of thought, and to expose and acknowledge these inconsistencies I am no longer at war with myself. More and more people I find are starting to question the contrivances of man-made religions.

You cannot force yourself to believe something that truly you do not believe, that truly you doubt. It will only make for a troubled mind. At one time I felt ashamed of my doubt, and now I embrace it, and I am much better for it.

I totally agree. I think this is becoming an increasingly common issue amongst the younger generation particuarly. For some people, after being hurt so many times, it is so easy to begin disbelieving - thats why this song means a lot to me as the lyrics articulate my feelings.
russ cv

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 03:19 pm
@kieranvyas,
There's a fair gap from questioning your faith to abandoning it. I was raised catholic, but can see no basis for religion. I think that coming to terms with such thoughts as being alone in the universe, having no purpose, having no big guy to look out for you, a final end, ... is harder than keeping faith.
kieranvyas

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 03:22 pm
@russ cv,
russ;71603 wrote:
There's a fair gap from questioning your faith to abandoning it. I was raised catholic, but can see no basis for religion. I think that coming to terms with such thoughts as being alone in the universe, having no purpose, having no big guy to look out for you, a final end, ... is harder than keeping faith.

i think thats an incredible way to look at things, i believe that concept is true
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 03:29 pm
@russ cv,
russ;71603 wrote:

Having no deity does not exclude the possibility that we are not alone. In fact I would find it much more strange if we were the only intelligent life to ever exist in the universe.

Nor does absence of a deity preclude purpose, it simply wouldn't be a divine purpose.
russ cv

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 03:33 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Having no deity does not exclude the possibility that we are not alone. In fact I would find it much more strange if we were the only intelligent life to ever exist in the universe.
-- You know what I meant. Context.

Nor does absence of a deity preclude purpose, it simply wouldn't be a divine purpose.
-- Elaborate....?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 03:55 pm
@russ cv,
russ;71608 wrote:

-- Elaborate....?

Your life doesn't have purpose based solely on whether god exists or not. There may very well be a god, that doesn't necessarily mean your life has purpose. There might be a god but no afterlife, there might even be an afterlife but with no rhyme or reason to it.
0 Replies

russ cv

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 04:00 pm
@kieranvyas,
Your life doesn't have purpose based solely on whether god exists or not.

-- I heard you the first time... elaborate...
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 04:03 pm
@russ cv,
russ;71610 wrote:
Your life doesn't have purpose based solely on whether god exists or not.

-- I heard you the first time... elaborate...

I did.

"...There might be a god but no afterlife, there might even be an afterlife but with no rhyme or reason to it."
0 Replies

russ cv

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 04:08 pm
@kieranvyas,
Smile
"...There might be a god but no afterlife, there might even be an afterlife but with no rhyme or reason to it."

Gives no indication as to where purpose might otherwise come from.

"Your life doesn't have purpose based solely on whether god exists or not."
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 04:17 pm
@russ cv,
russ;71614 wrote:
Smile

Gives no indication as to where purpose might otherwise come from.

"Your life doesn't have purpose based solely on whether god exists or not."

There is no indication in this discussion so far where purpose would come from in the first place. How does the existence of another being, give purpose to your being? Whether god gives purpose, rather depends on what he plans to do with that life. In the same way I would say whether you give yourself purpose depends on what you plan to do with your own life.

If God created mankind and has no intentions for it, then how is that any different than there being no god at all?
0 Replies

kieranvyas

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 04:44 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;71606 wrote:

i agree that it is very unlikely we are the only intelligent life forms out there. i think sometimes faith is mistakenly created to conceal ones fear of being alone, of there being nothing after death.
0 Replies

russ cv

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 04:57 pm
@kieranvyas,
"There is no indication in this discussion so far where purpose would come from in the first place"
My first comment implied the purpose coming from a god (catholic). But that aside, I think purpose is a standard characteristic of gods as current religions describe them. One can of course create one's own purpose, and will have to if one wants purpose but has no god - had I anticipated your en garde I would've specified purpose as being the reason for one's creation.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 06:12 pm
@russ cv,
russ;71619 wrote:
"There is no indication in this discussion so far where purpose would come from in the first place"
My first comment implied the purpose coming from a god (catholic). But that aside, I think purpose is a standard characteristic of gods as current religions describe them.

But not of any and all conceivable gods. Take spinoza's god for example.

Quote:
One can of course create one's own purpose, and will have to if one wants purpose but has no god - had I anticipated your en garde I would've specified purpose as being the reason for one's creation.

I guess I would have to differentiate 'purpose in life' from 'purpose for being born/created'
russ cv

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 06:49 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
"But not of any and all conceivable gods. Take spinoza's god for example."

No, but as I'm off to bed I'm going to stick with the purposeful catholic god that I could no longer believe in. If everyone gets to design a god the definition would get watered down to the point where the word has no meaning. Wittgenstein's inappropriateness of words.

Quote:
One can of course create one's own purpose, and will have to if one wants purpose but has no god - had I anticipated your en garde I would've specified purpose as being the reason for one's creation.

"I guess I would have to differentiate 'purpose in life' from 'purpose for being born/created' "

Exactly.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 08:43 pm
@russ cv,
russ;71626 wrote:
"But not of any and all conceivable gods. Take spinoza's god for example."

No, but as I'm off to bed I'm going to stick with the purposeful catholic god that I could no longer believe in. If everyone gets to design a god the definition would get watered down to the point where the word has no meaning. Wittgenstein's inappropriateness of words.

Design? No.

But nobody is prevented from speculating about god(s). People have been doing it for thousands of years. That's really all religion is anyway, speculation.

Quote:

Exactly.

Good then that's settled. Smile