Questions for theists

mimidamnit

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 02:32 pm
@JBeukema,
and when u read a post of mine on religion.. and im speaking "for" christians or christianity.. add a dose of sarcasm.. then read it again.. it tastes better that way lol
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 03:00 pm
@mimidamnit,
Love the Christian hate the Christianity. Unless of course he's being a jerk Smile

Thats my motto.
mimidamnit

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 03:08 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;67402 wrote:
Love the Christian hate the Christianity. Unless of course he's being a jerk Smile

Thats my motto.

o0o? it is shameful that as much as they preach it.. christians cant follow it.. love ur neighbor.. if a non-christian such as you and i can do it with out god making us do it.. surely a christian can do it with god ordering him to.. but then again.. we all know about the double standards that are weaved throughout the religion lol.. i dont mean to be cynical.. it's that damned residue lolol
JBeukema

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 05:02 pm
@mimidamnit,
mimidamnit;67403 wrote:
o0o? it is shameful that as much as they preach it.. christians cant follow it.. love ur neighbor..

Luke 14:26
mimidamnit

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 03:33 am
@JBeukema,
JBeukema;67410 wrote:
Luke 14:26

i know.. i saw that in the last thread you said.. how does it work lol.. gentle dove tried to explain it.. but i still dont get it:dunno:.. typical biblical contradiction
0 Replies

GentleDove

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 12:15 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;67393 wrote:
GentleDove wrote:
Evolution is totally illogical and can only come from an atheistic worldview.
This is untrue.

Atheists only represent 9-11% of Americans yet 40% of Americans accept evolution. The fact of the matter is that most evolutionists are christians, including Ken Miller an expert witness at the Kitzmiller v Dover trial who is a biology textbook author who is a christian.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 12:22 pm
@GentleDove,
GentleDove;67480 wrote:

The modern, Darwinian or neo-Darwinian, evolution comes from an atheistic or secular humanist (the latter closely linked with "New Age") worldview, and not from a Christian one.

No, evolution comes from a secular scientific world view. Darwin was not an atheists when he first contemplated evolution.
GentleDove

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 12:52 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;67395 wrote:
GentleDove wrote:
As with morality, rationality is non-physical and universal. For example, the law of non-contradiction is rational in all times and places for all people. How can an impersonal, atheistic, physical universe explain a universal, non-material concept such as rationality? Christians have an answer for this, that God, who is transcendent over His creation, made humans in His rational image.
Rationality is a result of higher brain function.

Morality is a result of our need to cooperate.
-------------

That wasn't so hard.
Fatal_Freedoms wrote:
GentleDove wrote:
How, given a presumption of an impersonal atheistic universe of matter in motion, can abstract (non-physical), universal (across all different particular brains) morality come to exist?

Common Need.

Morality exists because it must. A society without morality would collapse. Morality as I have previously stated is a direct result of our need to cooperate with each other. Even wolves do not randomly kill each other, social animals have to cooperate. Do we need to postulate gods to explain why morality is necessary?
FormicHiveQueen

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 12:54 pm
@GentleDove,
GentleDove;67480 wrote:
The modern, Darwinian or neo-Darwinian, evolution comes from an atheistic or secular humanist (the latter closely linked with "New Age") worldview, and not from a Christian one.

Charles Darwin was a devout Christian, so I don't see where you're getting this "secular atheist" thing from.

Actually now that I think about it, did secular humanism even exist back then?
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 01:31 pm
@GentleDove,
GentleDove;67483 wrote:
How did a higher-functioning brain come from a lower functioning brain?

Natural selection.

Quote:

It didn't. As I said Rationality is a product of higher brain function.

Quote:

But it isn't. It is demonstrablely true that morality exists for the preservation of social structures. The tool of our survival.

Quote:

I could ask you the same thing.

Quote:
So what if a society collapses?

Well if a society without morality collapses, the society won't be around to propagate it's lack of morality.

Quote:

Because it is in all of our best interests that society doesn't collapse.

Quote:

Because a strong pack leader has the ability to preserve the lives of all pack members.

They do not kill senselessly, if they did their pack would not last very long.

Quote:
Wolves, like all animals, operate on instinct. "What is" is just the way it is. There is no "should"--or morality--in a wolf-world, despite the fact that they are "social" animals.

Of course there is, they operate according to their own rules, even as primitive and bloodthirsty as piranha are they "shall not kill" eachother.

Quote:

Because our very existence and well-being depends on it.

Quote:

We don't. Few people value the life of a house fly or a spider. Few people value the life of a murderer. there is a reason for this.

Quote:
, if morality does not exist in the first place and had to come into being at some (unknown) point in the evolutionary process?

Morality exists because it must.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 01:35 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
You claim that these things cannot be explained by nontheists, but yet that is precisely what I have done, and it's what I've been doing for years. I'm am no stranger to these issues and I am no stranger to debate in an academic setting.
0 Replies

GentleDove

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 01:37 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;67481 wrote:
No, evolution comes from a secular scientific world view. Darwin was not an atheists when he first contemplated evolution.
because
JBeukema

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 02:15 pm
@GentleDove,
GentleDove;67488 wrote:
Secularism is atheistic. However, science is not exclusively secular or atheistic.

*facepalm*
0 Replies

FormicHiveQueen

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 03:18 pm
@GentleDove,
GentleDove;67488 wrote:
Secularism is atheistic. However, science is not exclusively secular or atheistic.

It doesn't matter who the scientist is, science is secular. The word secular is generally understood to mean something that religion plays no part in. (Isaac Newton was a devout Christian, but he didn't make his theory of gravity by praying for evidence; he went out and found it himself) Atheism is just a lack of belief in gods, but even that isn't necessarily secular. Buddhism is Atheist, technically speaking.
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 03:49 am
@GentleDove,
GentleDove;67488 wrote:
Secularism is atheistic.

No, not at all.

Secularism just means "separation from religion".

Quote:
However, science is not exclusively secular or atheistic.

Secular, yes. Atheistic, no.

Quote:

We are talking about SCIENCE not SCIENTISTS.

Quote:
It was the Christian worldview that birthed the age of science because of the Christian belief that creation (the universe and everything in it) was ordered and predictable and could be studied.

This is completely untrue.

The ancient Chinese and the Greeks has developed science hundreds if not thousands of years before Christianity was around.

Quote:

The greeks developed many scientific concepts we still use today.

Quote:
These Christian pioneers in the field of science believed that science was possible because they believed that creation was 1) providentially superintended by the ordered, rational, and unchanging God of the Bible, and 2) given to mankind for dominion, and part of that dominion over creation was learning methodically about the world.

And so had others, for different reasons.

Quote:
Darwin was never a Christian. He started out agnostic and became a full atheist as his beliefs in evolution became more firm, and long before he wrote "On the Origin of Species."

Yes he was, he was studying to become an Anglican clergyman at a Christian university before he boarded the HMS beagle.

Quote:
He was raised Unitarian (non-Christian) and liberal Anglican.

Anglican is Christian.
0 Replies

mimidamnit

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 07:24 am
@JBeukema,
what was it that turned darwin from creationism and from "god"?. i mean.. darwin could have been an advocate for god.. even in a scientific capacity.. question for christians...... if darwin was of the faith.. of a faith that believed in "god".. and was on his way to being a clergyman for the anglican church.. why would "god" not make his presence.. existence perfectly clear.. before he hauled off and wrote a book that very blatantly contradicts creationism..... but then.. the same question can be asked of non-christians.. what was it that turned C.S. Lewis.. once a devout atheist... to "god"?...
mimidamnit

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 07:26 am
@JBeukema,
i read somewhere that darwin looked forward to the leisure life of a clergyman.. so that he can better devote himself to his passion.. beetles lol
0 Replies

Seer Travis Truman

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 09:38 pm
@mimidamnit,
Post review By Seer Travis Truman:
FatalFreedoms in blue
GentleDove in Red

How did a higher-functioning brain come from a lower functioning brain?
Natural selection.

GentleDove, FF is correct in that Natural Selection explains how a more cogntive-advaced brain can develop from a less advanced one.

The Truth that the brain of any creature can and does develop a higher cognitive state, due to natural selection.

More advanced things come from more basic ones all the time. In an athlete, for example, more developed and fit muscles can come from weaker and less developed ones.

We have the fact. But we do not have the Forbidden Truth on this matter. That requires further examination of the elements FF missed.

Although FF is correct that a brain can, and does, become more advanced due to evolution, he has missed one crucial point. That is the Truth that the human brain has devolved and rotted. It is going backwards. Although the cognitive capacity is increasing, the Truth-accepting and psychological stability of the human brain is decreasing.

Animals actually have improving brain function. Human brain function does not improve and is not subject to natural selection.

In other words, how did (non-physical) information for (non-physical) “rationality” get added and encoded in our (physical) DNA?
It didn't. As I said Rationality is a product of higher brain function.

Human ratioality is faulty and the product of lower brain function. However, FF is correct in what he meant. Using an animal brain as an example : What FF correctly expresses is that the natural selection (per evolution) made higher brain functioning a reality for animals. The newly evolved, higher-functioning brains were able to do better at solving various problems etc.

“Need to cooperate” sounds more like an example of “morality,” than a cause for morality.
But it isn't. It is demonstrablely true that morality exists for the preservation of social structures.
This is correct. Societal leaders of human society have INVENTED this morality to preserve thier insane and illegitimate societal structures. However, those human soietal structures have no legitimacy.
FF :The tool of our survival.
Incorrect. Animals survive without morality. Human society will probably end in the self-extinction of the humans species due to war, spread of desease via transport etc. etc.

How do we know that the people who do not see a “need to cooperate,” such as sociopaths, do not have the "right" view?
An excellent thought. The correct answer is that the sociopath actually DO have the right (or Truth-based) legitimate view, and society has the illegitimate lie-based view.

I could ask you the same thing.

So what if a society collapses?
All sane and rational human beings would celebrate.

Well if a society without morality collapses, the society won't be around to propagate it's lack of morality.

I am asking, how did we come to think that “society” “should not” collapse?
This is profound. Excellent thought. The Forbidden Truth is that society should collapse, and indeed does deserve to collapse. The reason so many think otherwise is because they have had lies drumed into them by thier self-serving society.

Because it is in all of our best interests that society doesn't collapse.
No, it is not. That is 100% incorrect.

*************SPECIAL POST***************
GentelDove, I have detected that you have indicated some signs, albeit negative ones also, of being a potential Seer of Forbidden Truth.
Please visit The Manifesto of Forbidden Truth: A devastating dissection of the evil and insane societal myths, lies, rituals, and perversions of early 21st century humanity. if you would.
*************SPECIAL POST***************

But wolves do kill each other. (Humans postulate that they might be killing for rank; or the young, old or sick; etc.). Why does “wolf society” not hold the killer wolf morally culpable for his actions, despite the “societal” need to cooperate?
Excellent. That is because human society is sick, lie-based, perverted and deranged. Wolf-society is sane, rational, Truth-based and Superior.

Because a strong pack leader has the ability to preserve the lives of all pack members. They do not kill senselessly, if they did their pack would not last very long.
Wolves are Superior life-forms. All the decisions they make are for Truth-based sane rational purpose. But, FF, you did not answer the core question asked of you.

Wolves, like all animals, operate on instinct. "What is" is just the way it is. There is no "should"--or morality--in a wolf-world, despite the fact that they are "social" animals.
100% correct. The version of "morailty" society uses, promotes and defines does not exist in wolf society.

Of course there is, they operate according to their own rules, even as primitive and bloodthirsty as piranha are they "shall not kill" eachother.
They have no "thou shalt not kill" rule. You just answered a post where you admitted they do. Probably accidently, but they do not asnwer to morilty.. What is, is. The reason why they generally dont kill each other is that there would be no motivation to do so, and no increase in survival chances.

Why, without God, “should” we morally value a “need to cooperate” or value the “continuation of society?”
There is no rational, sane and sensible reason why.

Because our very existence and well-being depends on it.
Wrong. Modern society has killed and threatened our survival more than any other non-human imposed condition threatens to wipe out any other race of simular number in the wild.

Why “should” we view life of value in and of itself
We don't. Few people value the life of a house fly or a spider. Few people value the life of a murderer. there is a reason for this.
Yes there is a reason people like you think this way, FF, because you are an insane and warped product of human society. The Truth is that every animal has respect for life, especially it's own. It does not (unlike humans) go around killing other species or its own kind like humans do.

if morality does not exist in the first place and had to come into being at some (unknown) point in the evolutionary process?
Morality exists because it must.
How very convient for your argument.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 12:18 pm
@Seer Travis Truman,
Seer Travis Truman;67679 wrote:

Animals actually have improving brain function. Human brain function does not improve and is not subject to natural selection.

Actually IQ has been steadily increasing on a large scale for many decades.

Humans are subject to natural selection, however the role natural selection plays in human evolution has been dramatically decreasing.
It's true that genetic drift is more influential than natural selection in regards to human evolution.

Quote:

Incorrect. Animals survive without morality.

Social animals do exhibit a sense of morality, although it is not quite as complicated or sophisticated as human morality it is still there.

Quote:
The correct answer is that the sociopath actually DO have the right (or Truth-based) legitimate view, and society has the illegitimate lie-based view.

What's that? That senselessly killing people is wrong?

Quote:

This is profound. Excellent thought. The Forbidden Truth is that society should collapse, and indeed does deserve to collapse.

Without society we would not be where we are now. Without society modern medicine would be nonexistent. Without society you would not be able to express your arrogant views over the internet. Ironic, no?

Without society we would essentially all have to fend for ourselves. Society was the tool that allowed us to climb to the top of the food chain.

Quote:
Wrong. Modern society has killed and threatened our survival more than any other non-human imposed condition threatens to wipe out any other race of simular number in the wild.

The reason humans are so genetically similar is because we went through a genetic bottlekneck cause by near extinction. A long time ago the human race almost went extinct and it had nothing to do with societal ills, of that you can be sure.
Seer Travis Truman

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 03:02 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Reply to Fatal Freedoms :

I said : "Animals actually have improving brain function. Human brain function does not improve and is not subject to natural selection. "

Actually IQ has been steadily increasing on a large scale for many decades.

This is 100% correct, FF. There is more to brain function than IQ. The Forbidden Truth is that brain function in humans, despite increasing in cognitive ability, is decreasing in stability and Truth-handling ability. One manifestation of this is todays mental health problems, which I am sure you mistakenly think I am afflicted with.

Overall, human brain function has devolved, despite the IQ improvements.

Humans are subject to natural selection, however the role natural selection plays in human evolution has been dramatically decreasing.
It's true that genetic drift is more influential than natural selection in regards to human evolution.

Humans are not subject to natural selection, because they live in society. Although the process of natural selection still applies, what the EXACT changes would be has been unnatrually altered.
So, you are not wrong, and neither am I. You just had a different take on it.

Quote:
Seer TT : "Incorrect. Animals survive without morality. "

Social animals do exhibit a sense of morality, although it is not quite as complicated or sophisticated as human morality it is still there.human society have INVENTED this morality to preserve thier insane and illegitimate societal structures. However, those human soietal structures have no legitimacy.
FF :The tool of our survival.
Incorrect. Animals survive without morality. Human society will probably end in the self-extinction of the humans species due to war, spread of desease via transport etc. etc.
_____
Moraility refered to the humanised version of morality. Perhaps I should have been clearer. You yourself admit they are not the same morality.

Seer TT: "The correct answer is that the sociopath actually DO have the right (or Truth-based) legitimate view, and society has the illegitimate lie-based view. "

What's that? That senselessly killing people is wrong?
It is not anything to do with the action of the sociopath per se. It is the way his mind works. Now, he is not quite the same as a pure animal. BUT he is more of an animal than a highly socialised law-abiding citizen-slave will ever be. The distortion is caused by society.

Seer TT : "This is profound. Excellent thought. The Forbidden Truth is that society should collapse, and indeed does deserve to collapse."

Without society we would not be where we are now.
That is precisely why I make the above statement. Of course from My side of the fence, you cannot expect Me to answer any differently, as I would not expect you to.

(Rest became irrelevant)

Without society we would essentially all have to fend for ourselves. Society was the tool that allowed us to climb to the top of the food chain.
I want humanity to become an animal again because animals are morally (not the human verion) Superior and have better and more reliable brain function.

Seer TT :
The reason humans are so genetically similar is because we went through a genetic bottlekneck cause by near extinction. A long time ago the human race almost went extinct and it had nothing to do with societal ills, of that you can be sure.
ANY form of human society is sick, lie-based and toxic, whether it be ancient INCAN tribes or whatever. If it was before deseased human socities formed, then the human race deserves to die if that is evolution's way.
That does NOT mean it currently does NOT deserve to die, because humanity by-passed, at least partialy, evolution.
What a shame it did not.... and save the Tigers from us. Tigers are Superior to humans, and they are My Superiors just as much as earthworms are.