Is religion healthy for society?

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 12:07 pm
Austin Cline, Guide for the Agnosticism / Atheism Site )
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,947 • Replies: 25
No top replies

dattaswami cv

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 11:21 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;60103 wrote:
"Religious theists will commonly insist that religion generally, and their religion in parti...........e most common questions and mistakes about atheism."

by Austin Cline ( Austin Cline, Guide for the Agnosticism / Atheism Site )
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 09:15 am
@dattaswami cv,
Spiritualism is the belief in spirits and other supernatural occurrences and entities.

religion is a system of dogmatic beliefs usually based on some doctrine enforcing rituals and other practices.
marcus cv

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 09:39 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Quote:
No democracy is known to have combined strong religiosity and popular denial of evolution with high rates of societal health. Higher rates of non-theism and acceptance of human evolution usually correlate with lower rates of dysfunction, and the least theistic nations are usually the least dysfunctional. None of the strongly secularized, pro-evolution democracies is experiencing high levels of measurable dysfunction. In some cases the highly religious U.S. is an outlier in terms of societal dysfunction from less theistic but otherwise socially comparable secular developed democracies. In other cases, the correlations are strongly graded, sometimes outstandingly so.

I would like to see examples of that statement.

Historically speaking empires collapsed with a moral degradation.
Drnaline

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 07:59 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Me too?
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 06:11 am
@marcus cv,
marcus;60253 wrote:

Empires collapse because imperialism puts tremendous strain on it's citizenry.

But what you and i consider "moral degradation" might be two very different things.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 06:14 am
@marcus cv,
marcus;60253 wrote:

I can't give you an example of something not happening, the proof is in the lack of such societies.
Drnaline

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 12:33 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;60310 wrote:
Empires collapse because imperialism puts tremendous strain on it's citizenry.

But what you and i consider "moral degradation" might be two very different things.
But the result is the same.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 12:35 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;60311 wrote:
I can't give you an example of something not happening, the proof is in the lack of such societies.

So you can't substantiate your thought?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 01:00 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;60340 wrote:
So you can't substantiate your thought?

It is substantiated by the fact there aren't any, if incorrect it should be easy for you to provide a single example which you would've done by now given you were capable.

You can't prove a negative, therefore the negative is always assumed and then discarded when the positive is substantiated. But of course i didn't expect you to know that. Very Happy
Sabz5150

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 12:29 am
@marcus cv,
marcus;60253 wrote:

One word: Maya. That empire did not collapse due to moral degradation.
marcus cv

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 04:13 pm
@Sabz5150,
The Maya practiced human sacrifice. In some Maya rituals people were killed by having their arms and legs held while a priest cut the person's chest open and tore out his heart as an offering. This is depicted on ancient objects such as pictorial texts, known as codices (singular: codex). It is believed that children were often offered as sacrificial victims because they were believed to be pure.
Sabz5150

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 08:29 pm
@marcus cv,
marcus;60522 wrote:
The Maya practiced human sacrifice. In some Maya rituals people were killed by having their arms and legs held while a priest cut the person's chest open and tore out his heart as an offering. This is depicted on ancient objects such as pictorial texts, known as codices (singular: codex). It is believed that children were often offered as sacrificial victims because they were believed to be pure.

Does it matter what they did? Does it change the fact that their entire civilization was wiped out by the Christians?

Do you realize that because of what the Christians did, only six codices remain? That's right, the priests burned their books, their entire civilization's history right in front of them. Funny that only the ones depicting the bad things survived... how about their astronomical texts? All gone.

These are the people who calculated the solar year and lunar month down to the SECOND using little more than sticks and mathematics.

Again, does what their culture did change the fact that the Christians wiped them out?
marcus cv

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 03:20 am
@Sabz5150,
If a person who is white and from North American or Europe to go to Africa or Middle East most likely than not he will be considered Christian.
Christians are not those who call themselves Christian or live in a Christian country but who follow Christ commends. And all of Jesus commends are based on love not on destruction. It's about the source, the calling of the believe and not about the title, or a group.
Sabz5150

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 08:55 am
@marcus cv,
marcus;60547 wrote:
If a person who is white and from North American or Europe to go to Africa or Middle East most likely than not he will be considered Christian.
Christians are not those who call themselves Christian or live in a Christian country but who follow Christ commends. And all of Jesus commends are based on love not on destruction. It's about the source, the calling of the believe and not about the title, or a group.

So which is it? Were they Christians taking out a cannibalistic tribe, or Non-Christians slaughtering others? You have simultaneously made an excuse for them, then booted them from the circle for which they needed said excuse.

These people were told to convert or die.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 11:47 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;60345 wrote:
It is substantiated by the fact there aren't any, if incorrect it should be easy for you to provide a single example which you would've done by now given you were capable.

You can't prove a negative, therefore the negative is always assumed and then discarded when the positive is substantiated. But of course i didn't expect you to know that. Very Happy
So your answer is no.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 12:29 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;60594 wrote:
So your answer is no.

Pleas go back and re-read my first sentence, read it another two times if necessary.
marcus cv

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 07:15 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Quote:
Does it matter what they did? Does it change the fact that their entire civilization was wiped out by the Christians?

On Historical note, Maya collapsed in 9-10th century, they never even heard of Christianity.

Quote:
So which is it? Were they Christians taking out a cannibalistic tribe, or Non-Christians slaughtering others? You have simultaneously made an excuse for them, then booted them from the circle for which they needed said excuse.

These people were told to convert or die.

I see Christians as those who were dying for the cross and not killing others. We all like to take about crusades and scholars estimate that the Crusades of the middle ages cost from 133,000 lives to 1,5 million depending on a historian you will talk to. In 1990 alone over 260,000 Christians were murdered for their faith.
Is religion healthy for society?, You can compare with a non-religious system of communism that killed at least 150,000,000 people in less than 100 years period.

During exploration time everyone was "Christian". We need to remember that as we live in America today, people in those days lived in Christendom. It's only after Renaissance skeptics and atheists become a sizable group.

If you were alive, you were "Christian", for many it was a title. Those men who explored New Land for their own greed, didn't say to their family and friends, "I'm going to go rub and kill people and after I come back I will be rich." No, they were "fighting for the faith", and they made themselves believe in it. But the they didn't know and did not wanted to know what the faith is.

What is the Christian faith?

2 John 1:4 It has given me great joy to find some of your children walking in the truth, just as the Father commanded us. 5And now, dear lady, I am not writing you a new command but one we have had from the beginning. I ask that we love one another. 6And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love.

Walk in love, that is the Christianity faith.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 07:41 am
@marcus cv,
marcus;60679 wrote:
I see Christians as those who were dying for the cross and not killing others.

NTS fallacy

Quote:
We all like to take about crusades and scholars estimate that the Crusades of the middle ages cost from 58,000 to 133,000 lives. In 1990 alone over 260,000 Christians were murdered.

How many Christians do you think die everyday in the United States? What you have is a stacked statistic, it assumes their religion has anything to do with their death. Whereas the crusades where motivated and driven by religious zealotry.

Quote:
Is religion healthy for society?, the answer is yes. You can compare with non religious system of communism that killed at least 150,000,000 people in less than 100 years period.

This is an unfair compassion for a few reasons

1) the earth was significantly less populated in the middle ages.
2) There was less capability to kill people during the middle ages.

Hitler is probably the most infamous person on earth even though he killed less people than Stalin, the reason for this is simple. Hitler committed genocide, he killed people because of their race, religion, sexual orientation and mental capability (the handicapped). Hitler killed people discriminately while Stalin killed indiscriminately. Stalin killed anyone that disagreed with his policies or his practices.

Quote:
During exploration time everyone "was Christian" we need to remember that as we live in America, people in those days lived in Christendom. It's only after Renaissance skeptics and atheists become a sizable group.
But those guys who explored new land for their own greed, wouldn't say to their family and friend, I'm going to go rub and kill people come back in couple years rich. No, they were fighting for the faith. But the point is they didn't know the faith.

Few religions do teach massacres, but people do them anyway. Whether people misunderstand their faith is irrelevant to the atrocities caused by those people.

Marcus do you know what the difference between you and a crusader is? The crusader takes everything in the bible as word-for-word as literal inerrant truth. This is the same problem Muslims have today, they take their texts as literal truth, while moderate Muslims do not.
marcus cv

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 08:42 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Quote:
Marcus do you know what the difference between you and a crusader is? The crusader takes everything in the bible as word-for-word as literal inerrant truth. This is the same problem Muslims have today, they take their texts as literal truth, while moderate Muslims do not.

I'm very glad that you are pointing to the Bible, that's exactly the point I was trying to make. The Bible is the standard of the Christianity, and the Bible has the authority.

The difference between Crusaders and myself, their time and our time is that that we have the Bible they don't. They were told what to do. The authority was in the hands of man, who were to be faithful. And if they are not, than it has an impact on everyone. Not so in our days.

When it comes to "statistics" I think it would be hard to argue that there are more Christians who caused some one to die than Christians who died because of their faith. Even if we consider that all Christians are Christians. Which I have hard time to accept it.