Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2008 02:27 am
So where in the bible does it say Jesus was born on Dec. 24th?

also where in the bible does it tell you to decorate a tree?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,972 • Replies: 24
No top replies

marcus cv

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2008 09:57 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
That's right,

Those things are not important, it's inner and not outer expression of the heart important.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2008 10:47 am
@marcus cv,
And for the record, I do celebrate Christmas. For one it's a tradition that brings the family together and I do like the principal behind it.
0 Replies

Numpty

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 07:13 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;63152 wrote:

It doesn't, it's a pagan ritual.
mako cv

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 07:08 am
@Numpty,
jeafl cv

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 12:04 am
@mako cv,
The Star that Astonished the World{/i]? Martin presented documentary, archaeological and astronomical evidence to indicate that Jesus was born in the year 1bc/ad in September, if I remember what I read correctly. However, Martin also suggests that Jesus, Mary and Joseph were still living in Bethlehem where the Wise Men visited on December 25, which coincided with Hanukah and it was appropriate to give gifts to Jewish children.

As for Christmas trees:

Isaiah 14:8 Yea, the fir trees rejoice at thee, and the cedars of Lebanon, saying, Since thou art laid down, no feller is come up against us.

Isaiah 41:19 I will plant in the wilderness the cedar, the shittah tree, and the myrtle, and the oil tree; I will set in the desert the fir tree, and the pine, and the box tree together:

Isaiah 55:13 Instead of the thorn shall come up the fir tree, and instead of the brier shall come up the myrtle tree: and it shall be to the LORD for a name, for an everlasting sign that shall not be cut off.

Isaiah 60:13 The glory of Lebanon shall come unto thee, the fir tree, the pine tree, and the box together, to beautify the place of my sanctuary; and I will make the place of my feet glorious.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 04:40 am
@jeafl cv,
jeafl;63267 wrote:

As for Christmas trees:

Isaiah 14:8 Yea, the fir trees rejoice at thee, and the cedars of Lebanon, saying, Since thou art laid down, no feller is come up against us.

Isaiah 41:19 I will plant in the wilderness the cedar, the shittah tree, and the myrtle, and the oil tree; I will set in the desert the fir tree, and the pine, and the box tree together:

Isaiah 55:13 Instead of the thorn shall come up the fir tree, and instead of the brier shall come up the myrtle tree: and it shall be to the LORD for a name, for an everlasting sign that shall not be cut off.

Isaiah 60:13 The glory of Lebanon shall come unto thee, the fir tree, the pine tree, and the box together, to beautify the place of my sanctuary; and I will make the place of my feet glorious.

None of those say anything about decorating trees.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 04:42 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
The Prophet Jeremiah condemned as Pagan the ancient Middle Eastern practice of cutting down trees, bringing them into the home and decorating them. Of course, these were not really Christmas trees, because Jesus was not born until centuries later, and the use of Christmas trees was not introduced for many centuries after his birth. Apparently, in Jeremiah's time the "heathen" would cut down trees, carve or decorate them in the form of a god or goddess, and overlay it with precious metals. Some Christians feel that this Pagan practice was similar enough to our present use of Christmas trees that this passage from Jeremiah can be used to condemn both:

Jeremiah 10:2-4: "Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not." (KJV).

bullet In Europe, Pagans in the past did not cut down evergreen trees, bring them into their homes and decorate them. That would have been far too destructive of nature. But during the Roman celebration of the feast of Saturnalia, Pagans did decorate their houses with clippings of evergreen shrubs. They also decorated living trees with bits of metal and replicas of their God, Bacchus. Tertullian (circa 160 - 230), an early Christian leader and a prolific writer, complained that too many fellow-Christians had copied the Pagan practice of adorning their houses with lamps and with wreathes of laurel at Christmas time.

Many Pagan cultures used to cut boughs of evergreen trees in December, move them into the home or temple, and decorate them. 7 Modern-day Pagans still do. This was to recognize the winter solstice -- the time of the year that had the shortest daylight hours, and longest night of the year. This occurs annually sometime between DEC-20 to 23. They noticed that the days were gradually getting shorter; many feared that the sun would eventually disappear forever, and everyone would freeze. But, even though deciduous trees, bushes, and crops died or hibernated for the winter, the evergreen trees remained green. They seemed to have magical powers that enabled them to withstand the rigors of winter.

All about the Christmas tree: Pagan origins, Christian adaptation and secular status
jeafl cv

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 05:58 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;63274 wrote:
None of those say anything about decorating trees.

I didn't say they did, but the Christmas tree could be taken as symbolic of these prophecies.
0 Replies

jeafl cv

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 06:20 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;63275 wrote:
The Prophet Jeremiah condemned as Pagan the ancient Middle Eastern practice of cutting down trees, bringing them into the home and decorating them. Of course, these were not really Christmas trees, because Jesus was not born until centuries later, and the use of Christmas trees was not introduced for many centuries after his birth. Apparently, in Jeremiah's time the "heathen" would cut down trees, carve or decorate them in the form of a god or goddess, and overlay it with precious metals. Some Christians feel that this Pagan practice was similar enough to our present use of Christmas trees that this passage from Jeremiah can be used to condemn both:
Quote:
But during the Roman celebration of the feast of Saturnalia, Pagans did decorate their houses with clippings of evergreen shrubs. They also decorated living trees with bits of metal and replicas of their God, Bacchus. Tertullian (circa 160 - 230), an early Christian leader and a prolific writer, complained that too many fellow-Christians had copied the Pagan practice of adorning their houses with lamps and with wreathes of laurel at Christmas time.

Christmas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A group of Christians in Egypt were celebrating the birth of Christ by 200 AD, but the date used was in May, not December. And by the time Tertullian died around 222 Christmas was still not a major Christian holiday. A December 25 date was around by the middle of the 4th century, but even then Christmas was overshadowed by other celebrations and it would remain overshadowed well into the Middle Ages.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 06:26 am
@jeafl cv,
jeafl;63282 wrote:

You're missing the point.

Quote:

Well what you think is irrelevant to what the pagans thought because they have different beliefs than you. Just because you think it's silly doesn't mean they did. Many Native Americans made a prayer to the great spirits every time they killed an animal, and they only did this for food and even then used every part of the animal. It didn't matter how many bears or deer there were they still considered it appropriate to kill only what was needed. Likewise many Buddhists won't kill insects, no matter how many insects there may be, it is still wrong to them. So you can't expect to understand how people of different cultures thought.

Quote:
A group of Christians in Egypt were celebrating the birth of Christ by 200 AD, but the date used was in May, not December. And by the time Tertullian died around 222 Christmas was still not a major Christian holiday. A December 25 date was around by the middle of the 4th century, but even then Christmas was overshadowed by other celebrations and it would remain overshadowed well into the Middle Ages.

and many pagans had similar celebrations long before then. Egyptians in particular were sometimes known to cut down trees and bring them in to the palaces/temples long before the death of christ.
Grouch

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 04:43 pm
@mako cv,
mako;63210 wrote:
Actually, December 25th was originally the birthday of the Iranian virgin born/crucified/spent 3 days in Hell/resurrected on the 3rd day savior god, Mithras, the Saturnalia was also celebrated from 17th to 25th of December, later the Roman festival Natalis Solis Invicti (birth of the unconquered sun) was created to glorify all the Sun Gods of the Empire (both Mithras and Jesus were considered Sun Gods)

I see you watched Zetigeristshit...:ban:
Grouch

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 04:46 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;63294 wrote:

Well what you think is irrelevant to what the pagans thought because they have different beliefs than you. Just because you think it's silly doesn't mean they did.

Irony at its finest. :rollinglaugh:
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 04:05 am
@Grouch,
Grouch;65044 wrote:
I see you watched Zetigerist****...:ban:

Indeed, while there are many notable similarities between Mithra's cult and Christianity, many of the similarities in Zeitgeist are exaggerated or fabricated.
0 Replies

Ares cv

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 02:45 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;63152 wrote:

The date is actually unknown... However, people settled on Dec. 24th as a day to 'universally' celebrate the birth of Christ. As for Christmas tree the origins are unknown but it is believed to have originated around a thousand years ago in Germany. Religion always has traditions not supported by their texts =/. I've heard Jeremiah connected to the Christmas tree but never found out how... Especially considering he is old testament. But the main idea is that it is evergreen representing everlasting life.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 06:11 am
@Ares cv,
Ares;65861 wrote:
The date is actually unknown... However, people settled on Dec. 24th as a day to 'universally' celebrate the birth of Christ.

And is it a coincidence that it just happens to be on winter solstice of the Julian calendar?
Ares cv

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 12:24 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;65877 wrote:
And is it a coincidence that it just happens to be on winter solstice of the Julian calendar?

Hmm... You made me make a false assumption, thats cruel. Christmas is December 25th, not the 24th which is the Winter solstice. So your argument is out the window because it isn't on the Winter Solstice, it is coincidently the day after it. :peace:
Grouch

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 01:11 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;65877 wrote:

There isn't a Historian out there who doesn't acknowledge that that date was chosen (hundreds of years after the death of Jesus) to make it easier to convert masses. Have the same or similar celebration just devote it to a different idol.

Really, you're bringing up a new or difficult point to understand.
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 01:34 am
@Ares cv,
Ares;65886 wrote:
Hmm... You made me make a false assumption, thats cruel. Christmas is December 25th, not the 24th which is the Winter solstice. So your argument is out the window because it isn't on the Winter Solstice, it is coincidently the day after it. :peace:

No, now the winter solstice would be on about December 21st or 22nd

but Since 45 BCE, the 25th was established in the Julian calendar as the winter solstice of Europe.
Ares cv

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 02:15 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;65896 wrote:
No, now the winter solstice would be on about December 21st or 22nd

but Since 45 BCE, the 25th was established in the Julian calendar as the winter solstice of Europe.

Well then what the hell is your point? They picked the day that the sun is farthest from the equator so freaking what? Does this have some pagan significance or something?