Question for you

Volunteer

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 04:57 pm
@Adam Bing,
Adam Bing;44722 wrote:
And by the way, I don't want that paranoid, jealous, insane, abusive god of Abraham, Issac and Jacob within 10 feet of me. As far as I am concerned that nutjob has a restraining order on his ass.

God restrains Himself from smiting sinners. He does this in order to give them time to repent of their sin.
Adam Bing

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 05:39 pm
@Volunteer,
Volunteer;44779 wrote:
God restrains Himself from smiting sinners. He does this in order to give them time to repent of their sin.

Yes ofcourse. I sin by simply trying to be a good person. That's not good enough for this god of abraham, whatever. I need to also kiss his ass fervently to avoid the smite.

You know what, I'll take my chances.
0 Replies

Adam Bing

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 05:43 pm
@Numpty,
Numpty;44778 wrote:
I was being sarcastic, I no more believe in hell than i do heaven, for me neither exsists

Numpty, your sarcasm is lost as is any sensible argument against them. We were short of one nut job. Now the line up is complete. Campbell (Protestant Evangalist), Pinochet (Catholic), Sword of God (Islam) and Volunteer (Jewish).

They need to all of them get together. They have more in common amongst themselves than they can ever have with thinking people.
Volunteer

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 06:12 pm
@Adam Bing,
Adam Bing;44795 wrote:
Numpty, your sarcasm is lost as is any sensible argument against them. We were short of one nut job. Now the line up is complete. Campbell (Protestant Evangalist), Pinochet (Catholic), Sword of God (Islam) and Volunteer (Jewish).

They need to all of them get together. They have more in common amongst themselves than they can ever have with thinking people.

Very Happy Shalom
Wink

Hey Pino, what do you think of that?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 07:27 pm
@Volunteer,
Volunteer;44773 wrote:
The Bible includes the Jewish Torah. That is the book you didn't know the name of.

Read a little more. You are painting all "religions" with the same brush.

Were you born and raised on an island? If not, then someone taught you your values. If you are in the USA and grew up here, for the most part you received teaching from your parents and society based on the Judeo-Christian ethic. The values you are proud of have their origin in the Bible.

what kind of christanity are you talking about? The form i was raised with definitely didn't include the Torah!

and the values you so carelessly praise the bible for are included in other non-christain cultures!
Adam Bing

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 10:06 pm
@Volunteer,
Volunteer;44811 wrote:
Very Happy Shalom
Wink

Hey Pino, what do you think of that?

Dude!

Now just add one more and lets have the monotheist party complete! All the Muslims, Jews & Christians in one Salvation Cell, totally allowed to kill each other but kept away from us innocent bystanders.

So Bubba, what do you think of that?
0 Replies

Campbell34

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 04:26 am
@Adam Bing,
Adam Bing;44704 wrote:
Ditto. Sacrifices are worth making for worthwhile causes:

- To save a child: Good reason to die.

- To save a life: reasonably good reason to die.

- To save mankind: Hmm.....

- To save a species: Good reason to die.

- To be faithful to a god: freaking stupid reason to die.

The writers of the Bible died for their belief in God. They did not die for their lies, they died for what they knew was true. Jesus said, if you confess me before men, I will confess you before my Father which is in Heaven. If you have no hope and no God, then it would be stupid to die for a God you donot believe in. Better to enjoy the little life you have left, then to die for nothing. Yet if you know that God and all those who love you are in heaven, and are waiting for you. Then it's not stupid at all. God in the end will decide if you live or die anyway. A long time ago a friend of mine who lives in Africa fought with a man who tried to steal his car. The man had a sawed off shot gun and pulled the trigger twice, but the gun did not go off. The man stealing the car was caught, and the police commander was upset with my friend because of what could of happened to him. Shortly after that, the police commander took the thiefs gun and pointed it across a field pulling both triggers. Each time he pulled the trigger, the gun went off. The police commander then looked back and said, "my friend, you must be a man of God". As it turned out, my friend Terry, is a missionary. And God decided he was not going to die that day.
Adam Bing

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 01:49 am
@Campbell34,
Campbell34;45025 wrote:
The writers of the Bible died for their belief in God. They did not die for their lies, they died for what they knew was true. Jesus said, if you confess me before men, I will confess you before my Father which is in Heaven. If you have no hope and no God, then it would be stupid to die for a God you donot believe in. Better to enjoy the little life you have left, then to die for nothing. Yet if you know that God and all those who love you are in heaven, and are waiting for you. Then it's not stupid at all. God in the end will decide if you live or die anyway. A long time ago a friend of mine who lives in Africa fought with a man who tried to steal his car. The man had a sawed off shot gun and pulled the trigger twice, but the gun did not go off. The man stealing the car was caught, and the police commander was upset with my friend because of what could of happened to him. Shortly after that, the police commander took the thiefs gun and pointed it across a field pulling both triggers. Each time he pulled the trigger, the gun went off. The police commander then looked back and said, "my friend, you must be a man of God". As it turned out, my friend Terry, is a missionary. And God decided he was not going to die that day.

I was involved in a car accident in 2005 in Malaysia. With me were Muslim and a Christian. Both needed hospitalization. The atheist, me, walked away without a scratch.

I am sure there is a religious angle to that one too. just that my two believer friends were not amused with their respective god's mysterious ways.

Tell your friend Terry to stay home. The bloody natives have gone and educated themselves. We now need better tricks to deal with them. Walking on water and rising from the dead is passe.
0 Replies

Volunteer

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 03:47 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;44830 wrote:
what kind of christanity are you talking about? The form i was raised with definitely didn't include the Torah!

and the values you so carelessly praise the bible for are included in other non-christain cultures!

Q:What is the Torah?

A:The first five books of the Bible.
Volunteer

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 03:49 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;44830 wrote:

What is your point?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 07:21 pm
@Volunteer,
Volunteer;45895 wrote:
Q:What is the Torah?

A:The first five books of the Bible.

it is a bit more complicated than that of course, since the jews have beliefs tht christians don't!
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 07:22 pm
@Volunteer,
Volunteer;45896 wrote:
What is your point?

my point is don't praise the bible for what so many before have already done!
0 Replies

Brian764

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 05:47 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;44438 wrote:
Would you deny your beliefs to save your life, (whatever they may be)?

like if you are a believer and the only way you could live was to deny the existance of god, would you do it?

-or-

If you are an atheist would you claim belief in a god to save your life, would you do it?

Matthew 16:25 (KJV)
25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 03:38 pm
@Brian764,
Brian@764;46640 wrote:
Matthew 16:25 (KJV)
25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

I am aware of what the bible says, but the question was what would you do?
Brian764

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 03:57 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;46664 wrote:
I am aware of what the bible says, but the question was what would you do?

No one really knows for sure what they would do until they are faced with that situation. We can say we would stick to our belief, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating. God tested Abraham to see if he loved God more than he loved his own son. It is when we are tested that we truly know what we would do, and God is able to give those who love Him the power and will to do what we know we should do.
0 Replies

RED DEVIL cv

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 08:44 am
@Adam Bing,
Adam Bing;44721 wrote:
Definitely not from monotheist nonsense.

I was taught that to be moral and kind to all sentient beings, to not harm anyone, to not tell lies, to help those less fortunate than oneself, to protect children with ones life if need be, to study hard and educate oneself for one's own growth and so as to contribute towards the betterment of this planet, all of these were a requirement of my being an intelligent human being and not because some man-made god would punish me otherwise.

In short, be good for the sake of being good, not because some god is watching over you. Hows that for values?

Those moral values come from the fact that you were introduced into this life in a "society" that has based its code of moral conduct upon the statutes of Judeo-Christian values. As our society is by large part, approx. 80% founded into the Judeo-Christian belief system. One's moral values are not "inherent", they are taught and ingrained into us from birth from our surroundings. Thus, yes "your" values did indeed come from the fact of religion, whether or not any want to admit to the "fact" or not. You are what you learn. LAWS DO NOT MAKE MORALITY, MORALITY MAKE LAWS, as all law is a product from the society form which it came. It is true that you can not legislate morality, but immoral laws can be legislated. Law works due to the fact that the people by in large that live under it, obey its rule. Law does not work because it is written. Law works due to the facts that morality is "written" on the hearts of those that live under it. And when morality begins to lose its effect on society, our laws reflect this, as crime has risen over 300% in the past four decades. About the same time that the ACLU started defending our "civil liberties" so feverously. RD
0 Replies

adam24

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 10:43 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
So, if I were raised to believe that it was OK to rape an infant until it was dead, would it be right for me to actually do that? If I believe with all my heart that I am doing that baby a favor by murdering it, that would make it right, right?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 11:26 am
@adam24,
adam24;47431 wrote:
So, if I were raised to believe that it was OK to rape an infant until it was dead, would it be right for me to actually do that? If I believe with all my heart that I am doing that baby a favor by murdering it, that would make it right, right?

no, i never said it did.
0 Replies

adam24

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 09:24 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
But you said that right and wrong are just a product of our upbringing.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 04:13 pm
@adam24,
adam24;47704 wrote:
But you said that right and wrong are just a product of our upbringing.

Where eaxctly did i say this?

I believe that right and wrong comes from evolution and is determined by what is beneficial to society or our community!