Question for you

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 04:43 pm
Would you deny your beliefs to save your life, (whatever they may be)?

like if you are a believer and the only way you could live was to deny the existance of god, would you do it?

-or-

If you are an atheist would you claim belief in a god to save your life, would you do it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,344 • Replies: 40
No top replies

rugonnacry

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 05:05 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
silly question
0 Replies

Volunteer

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 05:05 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;44438 wrote:
Would you deny your beliefs to save your life, (whatever they may be)?

like if you are a believer and the only way you could live was to deny the existance of god, would you do it?

-or-

If you are an atheist would you claim belief in a god to save your life, would you do it?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 05:18 pm
@Volunteer,
Volunteer;44444 wrote:

If you are talking about Christians, if you are a believer, you profess Christ as your savior as a condition and external sign of your belief. Denying Christ leads to eternal death.

then, why don't you just answer no?
Numpty

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 04:08 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Of course I bloody would, I don't believe in God, if someone put a gun against my head and said 'If you don't believe you don't walk out here alive' what you think i going to do?
'Of course I believe' It ain't like i am going to get struck down. My life is worth more than being truthful in that situation, my natural instinct for survival kicks in, you do what you need to,...simple as.
markx15

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 06:43 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
In this case my answer is Yes I would.
0 Replies

Adam Bing

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 03:56 am
@Numpty,
Numpty;44614 wrote:
Of course I bloody would, I don't believe in God, if someone put a gun against my head and said 'If you don't believe you don't walk out here alive' what you think i going to do?
'Of course I believe' It ain't like i am going to get struck down. My life is worth more than being truthful in that situation, my natural instinct for survival kicks in, you do what you need to,...simple as.

Ditto. Sacrifices are worth making for worthwhile causes:

- To save a child: Good reason to die.

- To save a life: reasonably good reason to die.

- To save mankind: Hmm.....

- To save a species: Good reason to die.

- To be faithful to a god: freaking stupid reason to die.
Volunteer

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 09:11 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;44449 wrote:
then, why don't you just answer no?

I did answer your question. I would not deny Christ Jesus or Yahweh. For further explanation see below.

Your question is not a hypothetical. Get a spine and experience some real conflict.

We each make that choice each and every day. We choose to accept God's Word or reject it due to convenience or "practicality." If you choose the latter, you choose what His Word says you'll reap for eternity, death. If you choose the former, you choose enternal life.

Every compromise is a choice. Every choice you make adds to your speed down the hill. The faster you go the harder it is to stop, turn around, and start back up the hill. If you choose to trudge up the hill, you may have to switch back frequently across the face of the hil, or take frequent stops to catch your breath, but you'll be moving toward the right goal.

Dt 30:19-30:20, “I call heaven and earth as witness against you today that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Choose life so that you and your descendants may live, love the LORD your God, obey Him, and remain faithful to Him. For He is your life and He will prolong your life in the land the LORD swore to give to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.”

Have you ever climbed a real mountain? What happens if you choose the wrong path there? One wrong step and you are destroyed by a fall.
0 Replies

Volunteer

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 09:12 am
@Adam Bing,
Adam Bing;44704 wrote:
"Ditto. Sacrifices are worth making for worthwhile causes:

- To save a child: Good reason to die.

- To save a life: reasonably good reason to die.

- To save mankind: Hmm.....

- To save a species: Good reason to die...."

Who says? Where did you get those values?
Numpty

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 09:52 am
@Volunteer,
Volunteer;44714 wrote:

Certainly not from the Bible/ Koran (sorry i do not know the name of the Jewish faith book) I am guessing.

You need to get away from believing that our morals come from religous books.

If they did we would still be stonning scientists, burning people who practise homeopathic medicine as witches, raping women would be the norm and all non believers would be exicuted on site.

SO PLEASE DON'T GO DOWN THAT ROUTE!
Adam Bing

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 09:52 am
@Volunteer,
Volunteer;44714 wrote:

Definitely not from monotheist nonsense.

I was taught that to be moral and kind to all sentient beings, to not harm anyone, to not tell lies, to help those less fortunate than oneself, to protect children with ones life if need be, to study hard and educate oneself for one's own growth and so as to contribute towards the betterment of this planet, all of these were a requirement of my being an intelligent human being and not because some man-made god would punish me otherwise.

In short, be good for the sake of being good, not because some god is watching over you. Hows that for values?
Adam Bing

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 09:55 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
And by the way, I don't want that paranoid, jealous, insane, abusive god of Abraham, Issac and Jacob within 10 feet of me. As far as I am concerned that nutjob has a restraining order on his ass.
Numpty

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 09:56 am
@Adam Bing,
Adam Bing;44721 wrote:
Definitely not from monotheist nonsense.

I was taught that to be moral and kind to all sentient beings, to not harm anyone, to not tell lies, to help those less fortunate than oneself, to protect children with ones life if need be, to study hard and educate oneself for one's own growth and so as to contribute towards the betterment of this planet, all of these were a requirement of my being an intelligent human being and not because some man-made god would punish me otherwise.

In short, be good for the sake of being good, not because some god is watching over you. Hows that for values?

Pretty damn good if you ask me. And not a 1700 year old book insight,..truely amazing that.

Though you know you are now destined for hell for leading such a proactive and positive life.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 03:00 pm
@Numpty,
Numpty;44720 wrote:
sorry i do not know the name of the Jewish faith book

The Torah
Numpty

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 03:13 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;44751 wrote:
The Torah

Thank you.
0 Replies

Volunteer

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 04:47 pm
@Numpty,
Numpty;44720 wrote:
Certainly not from the Bible/ Koran (sorry i do not know the name of the Jewish faith book) I am guessing.

You need to get away from believing that our morals come from religous books.

If they did we would still be stonning scientists, burning people who practise homeopathic medicine as witches, raping women would be the norm and all non believers would be exicuted on site.

SO PLEASE DON'T GO DOWN THAT ROUTE!

The Bible includes the Jewish Torah. That is the book you didn't know the name of.

Read a little more. You are painting all "religions" with the same brush.

Were you born and raised on an island? If not, then someone taught you your values. If you are in the USA and grew up here, for the most part you received teaching from your parents and society based on the Judeo-Christian ethic. The values you are proud of have their origin in the Bible.
Volunteer

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 04:49 pm
@Adam Bing,
Adam Bing;44721 wrote:
...In short, be good for the sake of being good, not because some god is watching over you. Hows that for values?

What is good? What is your measure?

By whose standard?
0 Replies

Volunteer

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 04:54 pm
@Numpty,
Numpty;44723 wrote:
Pretty damn good if you ask me. And not a 1700 year old book insight,..truely amazing that.

Though you know you are now destined for hell for leading such a proactive and positive life.

You refer to hell as an undesirable place to be. You accept that it is real in some manner or you wouldn't refer to it and mock it.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Again, what is your standard for good? If you are English, then you have the same basis for values as we do here in the USA unless you reject them in favor of being a druid or pagan.
Numpty

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 04:54 pm
@Volunteer,
Volunteer;44773 wrote:
The Bible includes the Jewish Torah. That is the book you didn't know the name of.

Read a little more. You are painting all "religions" with the same brush.

Were you born and raised on an island? If not, then someone taught you your values. If you are in the USA and grew up here, for the most part you received teaching from your parents and society based on the Judeo-Christian ethic. The values you are proud of have their origin in the Bible.

Indeed I was born and raised on an Island. Neither my Grandparents nor parents were in anyway shape or form religous.

The values I have pride in are determined through natural selection and and an animal instintc to ensure my gene pool survives, the by product of which is called what we dtermine to be a life.
0 Replies

Numpty

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 04:56 pm
@Volunteer,
Volunteer;44776 wrote:
You refer to hell as an undesirable place to be. You accept that it is real in some manner or you wouldn't refer to it and mock it.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Again, what is your standard for good? If you are English, then you have the same basis for values as we do here in the USA unless you reject them in favor of being a druid or pagan.

I was being sarcastic, I no more believe in hell than i do heaven, for me neither exsists