Absurdities in Religous texts

Numpty

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 06:08 am
@Musky Hunter,
Musky Hunter;62687 wrote:
We are children compared to God. Moses understanding of the creation of the universe was childlike compared to ours.

But why would adults, like you and I have to be told a childrens version to understand? I can take it, can you not?
0 Replies

Musky Hunter

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 08:59 am
@Numpty,
I think if you read Genesis with the understanding of the story that I told of the pregnant mother explaining the situation to her child that you will see that God told the truth to the writer of Genesis as well as the truth to us as well. And frankly we are still children to God and I am sure we will have more to learn when the time is right.

Youth, however, is so impatient.
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 10:20 am
@Musky Hunter,
Musky Hunter;62686 wrote:
"In the beginning God created the heavens". The part of the heavens which we see as the sun and the stars were not seen from the earth until the earth was created, however.

Also, how long was that part of the creation that God calls "the beginning"?
0 Replies

Musky Hunter

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 07:50 pm
@Numpty,
I believe that is when the sun and the moon were able to be seen through the cloud cover as seen from the perspective of the writer who was viewing this from the earth.

Again, the sun and the moon existed from before day 1 since 'in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth" but were not visable to those on the Earth until day 4 as described in the above passages.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 04:37 am
@Musky Hunter,
Musky Hunter;62693 wrote:
I believe that is when the sun and the moon were able to be seen through the cloud cover as seen from the perspective of the writer who was viewing this from the earth.

Again, the sun and the moon existed from before day 1 since 'in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth" but were not visable to those on the Earth until day 4 as described in the above passages.
Musky Hunter

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 08:01 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;62709 wrote:

It was Gods revelation written from a human perspective.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 08:59 am
@Musky Hunter,
Musky Hunter;62716 wrote:
It was Gods revelation written from a human perspective.

If by "human perspective" you mean "utterly wrong".

Also on what basis do you assume the bible writers had divine revelation?
Musky Hunter

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 12:35 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;62720 wrote:
If by "human perspective" you mean "utterly wrong".

Also on what basis do you assume the bible writers had divine revelation?

2 Timothy 3:16All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 03:48 pm
@Musky Hunter,
Musky Hunter;62721 wrote:
2 Timothy 3:16All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

[SIZE="4"]Circular reasoning abounds![/SIZE]

http://theframeproblem.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/break-the-cycle.jpg

"The bible is divinely inspired because the bible says it's divinely inspired", is horrendous reasoning. I shouldn't even have to explain why.
Musky Hunter

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 09:55 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;62722 wrote:
[SIZE="4"]Circular reasoning abounds![/SIZE]

http://theframeproblem.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/break-the-cycle.jpg

"The bible is divinely inspired because the bible says it's divinely inspired", is horrendous reasoning. I shouldn't even have to explain why.

Cool... Exchange "evolution" for "Bible" and 'science' for "God" and from the viewpoint of a person of a different faith perspective, it also works.... :p

Of course the evolutionist will proudly point out that not all evolutionary beliefs come from the same source and that they build on and support each other from independent sources while refusing to acknowledge the same about the multiple human hands from independent sources that went into the writing of scripture over many, many generations.

The evolutionist will point out that all of the writers had a connected belief structure thus supporting the claim to circular logic while continuing to proudly point out that all real scientists 'know" evolution to be real.

Go figure.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 06:42 am
@Musky Hunter,
No one said evolution or science for that matter is infallible, and science never claims to be always correct.

But if you believe something because it says it is always correct, then you are a gullible fool beyond all measure.
Musky Hunter

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 09:22 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;62736 wrote:
No one said evolution or science for that matter is infallible, and science never claims to be always correct.

But if you believe something because it says it is always correct, then you are a gullible fool beyond all measure.

If that is the only reason... agreed.
Sabz5150

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 10:30 pm
@Musky Hunter,
Musky Hunter;62723 wrote:
Cool... Exchange "evolution" for "Bible" and 'science' for "God" and from the viewpoint of a person of a different faith perspective, it also works.... :p

Care to point out an example?

Quote:
Of course the evolutionist will proudly point out that not all evolutionary beliefs come from the same source and that they build on and support each other from independent sources while refusing to acknowledge the same about the multiple human hands from independent sources that went into the writing of scripture over many, many generations.

So why is it that certain books were removed? Why is it there are several versions of the same Bible? So where is the evidence in this scripture?

Quote:
The evolutionist will point out that all of the writers had a connected belief structure thus supporting the claim to circular logic while continuing to proudly point out that all real scientists 'know" evolution to be real.

Science is based on fact. Nothing more. If you have fact in your faith, present it now.

Quote:
Go figure.

Projection. Gotta love it.
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 10:46 am
@Musky Hunter,
Musky Hunter;62741 wrote:
If that is the only reason... agreed.

If not because the bible says it was inspired by god, then why else do you believe it is? The single most important thing a christian cannot explain is why they think the bible is inerrant.
0 Replies

Musky Hunter

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 04:59 pm
@Numpty,
I never said it was inerrant.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 06:15 am
@Musky Hunter,
Musky Hunter;62752 wrote:
I never said it was inerrant.

Then what is the point of quoting passages from the bible?
Musky Hunter

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 11:35 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;62768 wrote:
Then what is the point of quoting passages from the bible?

I believe that in its original form that it is God breathed and may well be inerrant in its original form. We do not have the original autographs though. Thus, there is room for translational errors, at the very least.

Having said that, it is very, very accurate and I do not believe that God would allow significant degredation to his message that would significantly change his message.

Short of proof or at least very strong evidence that a particular text is mistranslated, added later, etc., I will believe what scripture has to say before other sources.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 05:15 am
@Musky Hunter,
Musky Hunter;62781 wrote:
I believe that in its original form that it is God breathed and may well be inerrant in its original form. We do not have the original autographs though. Thus, there is room for translational errors, at the very least.

Having said that, it is very, very accurate and I do not believe that God would allow significant degredation to his message that would significantly change his message.

Short of proof or at least very strong evidence that a particular text is mistranslated, added later, etc., I will believe what scripture has to say before other sources.

You just contradicted yourself. :thumbup:
0 Replies

physicistphilosopher

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 07:36 pm
@SWORD of GOD,
SWORD of GOD;62655 wrote:
Do you have the confidence to debate/discuss with me the so-called 'Absurdities' in the Noble Quran as stated in this deceiving website -you posted ?

I will just show you an example of the pathetic silly deceptions that website wants you to believe by quoting what they claim to be an absurdity in the Quran:

From your website:

Let us now see what the true verse (2:13) really says:

[13] And when it is said to them (hypocrites): "Believe as the people (followers of Muhammad (peace be upon him)) have believed," they say: "Shall we believe as the fools have believed?" Verily, they are the fools, but they know not.

Now, I leave it to you and to all the honest readers to compare what the true verse says and what the deceiving website tries to let you believe!

Appeal to authority, arugment from intimidation, ad hominem, false dilemma, strawman, shall I go on? It concerns many religious people that their philosophic arguments are regarded as the ravings of madmen. Well, as they say: if it waddles like a duck...
SWORD of GOD

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 09:23 pm
@physicistphilosopher,
physicistphilosopher;62812 wrote:
Appeal to authority, arugment from intimidation, ad hominem, false dilemma, strawman, shall I go on? It concerns many religious people that their philosophic arguments are regarded as the ravings of madmen. Well, as they say: if it waddles like a duck...

Writting unrelated words and trying to pack them irrationally in your sentence(s) will NOT make you look a philosopher and will not help/support whatever you want to convey here. Education and sensible thinking are what you are missing as it seems from your posts.
0 Replies