Absurdities in Religous texts

Numpty

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 08:59 am
A friend sent me this link, I have broken it down by Religion.

Christianity

SAB, Absurdities

Old Testament Absurdities

New Testament Absurdities

Muslim

Absurdity in the Quran

Mormon

Absurdity in the Book of Mormon
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,637 • Replies: 40
No top replies

marcus cv

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 10:26 am
@Numpty,
Quote:
Plants are made on the third day before there was a sun to drive their photosynthetic processes (1:14-19). 1:11

What is called absurdities, often is called great discoveries. I wonder if you heard about the discovery that the plants can live without sun. My wife told be about it another day, but I didn't do much research on my own.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 12:31 pm
@marcus cv,
marcus;62556 wrote:
What is called absurdities, often is called great discoveries. I wonder if you heard about the discovery that the plants can live without sun. My wife told be about it another day, but I didn't do much research on my own.

Photons are required for photosynthesis. There is no getting around this.
Musky Hunter

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 01:50 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;62557 wrote:
Photons are required for photosynthesis. There is no getting around this.

Can photons go through cloud cover?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 07:24 am
@Musky Hunter,
Musky Hunter;62558 wrote:

Of course. Although some is lost.
Musky Hunter

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 11:34 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;62594 wrote:
Of course. Although some is lost.

Well then, I will have to explain my view farther when I have not been sipping on some coconut flavored rum. :439:
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 07:05 am
@Musky Hunter,
Musky Hunter;62558 wrote:

Can you see outside on a cloudy day?
0 Replies

Musky Hunter

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 10:51 am
@Numpty,
Light obviously existed since day (time period) one according to scripture. It was just that its sources could not be seen directly from earth due to the cloud cover. This did not stop enough of the photons from getting through the cloud layer to disallow plant life and growth.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 06:42 am
@Musky Hunter,
Musky Hunter;62631 wrote:
Light obviously existed since day (time period) one according to scripture. It was just that its sources could not be seen directly from earth due to the cloud cover. This did not stop enough of the photons from getting through the cloud layer to disallow plant life and growth.

If not from the sun, where did these photons come from?
Musky Hunter

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 07:56 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;62650 wrote:
If not from the sun, where did these photons come from?

I believe that the sun existed and that the photons came from the sun but that the sun could not be seen from the Earth because of the cloud cover.
SWORD of GOD

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2008 10:59 pm
@Numpty,
Numpty;62301 wrote:
A friend sent me this link, I have broken it down by Religion.

Muslim

Absurdity in the Quran

Do you have the confidence to debate/discuss with me the so-called 'Absurdities' in the Noble Quran as stated in this deceiving website -you posted ?

I will just show you an example of the pathetic silly deceptions that website wants you to believe by quoting what they claim to be an absurdity in the Quran:

From your website:
Quote:
2. "Shall we believe as the foolish believe?"
According to the Quran, the answer is, yes. To be truly wise you must believe whatever the foolish believe. 2:13

Let us now see what the true verse (2:13) really says:

[13] And when it is said to them (hypocrites): "Believe as the people (followers of Muhammad (peace be upon him)) have believed," they say: "Shall we believe as the fools have believed?" Verily, they are the fools, but they know not.

Now, I leave it to you and to all the honest readers to compare what the true verse says and what the deceiving website tries to let you believe!
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 05:17 am
@Musky Hunter,
Musky Hunter;62651 wrote:
I believe that the sun existed and that the photons came from the sun but that the sun could not be seen from the Earth because of the cloud cover.

so why is the order of creation wrong in the bible?
Numpty

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 09:00 am
@SWORD of GOD,
SWORD of GOD;62655 wrote:
Do you have the confidence to debate/discuss with me the so-called 'Absurdities' in the Noble Quran as stated in this deceiving website -you posted ?

I will just show you an example of the pathetic silly deceptions that website wants you to believe by quoting what they claim to be an absurdity in the Quran:

From your website:

Let us now see what the true verse (2:13) really says:

[13] And when it is said to them (hypocrites): "Believe as the people (followers of Muhammad (peace be upon him)) have believed," they say: "Shall we believe as the fools have believed?" Verily, they are the fools, but they know not.

Now, I leave it to you and to all the honest readers to compare what the true verse says and what the deceiving website tries to let you believe!

Looks about right to me, you've interpreted one way, I another. That's how scriptures work, not one single person who has ever read any religous text has come to the same conclussion as another on everything contained within.
0 Replies

Musky Hunter

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 12:39 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;62659 wrote:
so why is the order of creation wrong in the bible?

I believe that it was simplified so that a herdsman from 1500 b.c. could better understand what happened. I do not believe that it is wrong. Where is it wrong according to you?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 03:23 pm
@Musky Hunter,
Musky Hunter;62663 wrote:
I believe that it was simplified so that a herdsman from 1500 b.c. could better understand what happened.

By lying to them? If that part was inaccurate what else could be?
Musky Hunter

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 12:05 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;62670 wrote:
By lying to them? If that part was inaccurate what else could be?

Again... Show me the lie or more to my point, the passages which lead to a hurtful and purposeful deception.

Tell me, though, if a mother says to her small child that she is going to have
baby and the baby is growing inside of her "tummy", is she lying to that child because she did not say "uterus" instead of "tummy"?

If the child asks, "how did the baby get there mommy?" and she replies " Daddy lovingly took a seed and planted it there.", is she lying because she did not describe sexual intercourse more accurately to that child?

If the child misunderstands exactly what happened but gets the message of mommy and daddy loving each other and the new baby and the mother further knows that as the child grows that the child will understand the message more clearly, is the mother lying to the child?

In fact, isn't the mother being more clear from the standpoint of the childs ability to understand to use the words "tummy", "plant" and "seed" than to use the words uterus, 'sexual intercourse" and "sperm", even if later on the second set of words would be more accurate and precise for the grown child?
Numpty

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 04:12 am
@Musky Hunter,
Musky Hunter;62676 wrote:
Again... Show me the lie or more to my point, the passages which lead to a hurtful and purposeful deception.

baby and the baby is growing inside of her "tummy", is she lying to that child because she did not say "uterus" instead of "tummy"?

If the child asks, "how did the baby get there mommy?" and she replies " Daddy lovingly took a seed and planted it there.", is she lying because she did not describe sexual intercourse more accurately to that child?

If the child misunderstands exactly what happened but gets the message of mommy and daddy loving each other and the new baby and the mother further knows that as the child grows that the child will understand the message more clearly, is the mother lying to the child?

In fact, isn't the mother being more clear from the standpoint of the childs ability to understand to use the words "tummy", "plant" and "seed" than to use the words uterus, 'sexual intercourse" and "sperm", even if later on the second set of words would be more accurate and precise for the grown child?

Generally the people who preach and attend services are adults. Do you not think they are able the understand the 'truth' then?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 04:18 am
@Musky Hunter,
Musky Hunter;62676 wrote:

The bible says the earth was created before the sun and the stars, how is this not deception?

in the example you gave it would be lying if the mother said that she gave birth before she was pregnant. Giving things out of order, is lying.
Musky Hunter

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 05:21 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;62682 wrote:
The bible says the earth was created before the sun and the stars, how is this not deception?

in the example you gave it would be lying if the mother said that she gave birth before she was pregnant. Giving things out of order, is lying.

"In the beginning God created the heavens". The part of the heavens which we see as the sun and the stars were not seen from the earth until the earth was created, however.

Also, how long was that part of the creation that God calls "the beginning"?
Musky Hunter

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 05:22 am
@Numpty,
Numpty;62681 wrote:
Generally the people who preach and are attned services are adults. do you not think they are able the understand the 'truth' then?

We are children compared to God. Moses understanding of the creation of the universe was childlike compared to ours.