What is Evolution? - A Primer

Sabz5150

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 06:27 am
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;51155 wrote:
Subtract those without the right resources, then those without hospitable conditions. Relatively few. Many years is not infinite time. Factor in the possibility that life would evolve to the point of complexity it is currently at. It is not even sure if life can actually spontaneously form. Speculation.

Define hospitable.

I'm sure the first two words you think of are "Habitable Zone", the area in which a planet needs to be in order to be habitable.

To us.

Science has already shown that life can survive, and thrive, in what to us is a completely inhospitable environment.

Highly acidic water near the surface of the ocean around volcanic chutes, under thousands of pounds of pressure. Life thrives here.

Sub-arctic conditions with little mineral resources. Life thrives here.

Blistering heat, little to no water, violent storms. Life thrives here.

A human in these elements would die anywhere from a second to a couple of hours.

Most people have this notion that life MUST mirror us. If it's gonna be on a planet, it's gotta have such and such things which just so happen to be EXACTLY what *we* need. They forget the four simple words that come after the word 'Life' in these descriptions: As we know it.

As you and I both agree, science does not know exactly how life began. We've got some ideas, but nothing 100% solid. With that in mind, you must then agree that life might not need what *we* need to start and thrive. If we don't know exactly how it started, then we don't know exactly what's needed to start it.

With that, you have to agree that the possibility exists for life to start in environments which are completely alien, or even outright lethal to us.

So the numbers go up when you talk about how many planets could possibly carry life. *THIS* is why we're rolling around on Mars, spending time and resources to search for ancient waterbeds and yes, life. If we can show that life exists or once existed on another planet, ESPECIALLY one which is outright lethal to us, it puts a whole new spin on the question of what's out there.

Quote:
Neither is the scientific explanation. With relatively no proof and less consensus on the issue, I'd rather go with Creationism. You seem to cling to the scientific explanations because, well, it's science and there'll be enough proof of whatever eventually.

The scientific explanation is a completely logical stance. It takes the facts which we have collected, and draws conclusions called theories from what the data tells us. If the data shows us something different, we alter the theory to fit the data found (did you know that the 'Tree of Life' lost a branch?).

Theories are not "proven" or "disproven". This is not math class. This is where people get it wrong first.

Theories are "validated" and "invalidated". Let's use Tiktaalik Roesea as an example.

Evolution had a "missing link" as creationists like to call it. The transition from water to land. So, a group of scientists tasked themselves with finding this link. The theory of Evolution basically said that if such a lifeform were to exist, it would be in such-and-such place at such-and-such time (roughly 370 million years ago in the Denovian period). That would be about the right time, given geologic data and evolutionary lines.

Guess what they found.

The discovery of a fish-tetrapod transitional, in the exact location and exact time that Evolution predicted, is evidence that validates the theory. Genetic data also validates it. Speciation validates it. Everything we've gathered, everything we've learned, everything we've discovered all point to one conclusion: Evolution.

The evidence is there, in mass amounts. If there's something you are unsure about, ask. I'll gladly answer.

Quote:
Then do it. Explain the tens of thousands of miracles logically. Explain how the hundreds of thousands of eyewitnesses got it wrong. Explain the conspiracy so there is no doubt that miracles have never happened, or find someone who has.

In order for an explanation, you've gotta show that the miracle happened. Gather these eyewitnesses, collect your data, get your evidence. Bring it forth. You ask for an explanation for something you cannot show actually even happened.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 12:13 pm
@Sabz5150,
What Sabz seems to be hinting at is: Panspermia

"the theory that microorganisms or biochemical compounds from outer space are responsible for originating life on Earth and possibly in other parts of the universe where suitable atmospheric conditions exist"

I'm sure you've probably never heard this term many times if at all, school doesn't teach about this, it is not well known by the general public, yet it is important becuase the connection between the big bang and life on earth doesn't make sense without such a theory.

a simple example is that of a supernova. Stars contain all of the essential elements for life and when a star is older it will go supernova (explode) and thus scattering all the essential elements of life onto nearby (relatively) planets and moons and if under the right condition that may bring about the first stages of life.
Sabz5150

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 12:37 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;51211 wrote:

"the theory that microorganisms or biochemical compounds from outer space are responsible for originating life on Earth and possibly in other parts of the universe where suitable atmospheric conditions exist"

I'm sure you've probably never heard this term many times if at all, school doesn't teach about this, it is not well known by the general public, yet it is important becuase the connection between the big bang and life on earth doesn't make sense without such a theory.

a simple example is that of a supernova. Stars contain all of the essential elements for life and when a star is older it will go supernova (explode) and thus scattering all the essential elements of life onto nearby (relatively) planets and moons and if under the right condition that may bring about the first stages of life.

That's a bit of what I am hinting towards, however my main goal was to show that the idea of a "habitable" planet or "hospitable" environment is extremely relative. Most people always take humans and try to use them as the constant in this equation, and of course wind up saying hardly any other planets are capable of supporting life, when this may not be the case. Different biochemistries need to be considered, perhaps life starts by one of many different ways.

If you're looking for humans, a planet with lots of water approximately 1AU away from a G-Class star is an excellent starting point. However if you're looking for life in general, there are many other places it could be lurking.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 12:48 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;51215 wrote:
That's a bit of what I am hinting towards, however my main goal was to show that the idea of a "habitable" planet or "hospitable" environment is extremely relative. Most people always take humans and try to use them as the constant in this equation, and of course wind up saying hardly any other planets are capable of supporting life, when this may not be the case. Different biochemistries need to be considered, perhaps life starts by one of many different ways.

If you're looking for humans, a planet with lots of water approximately 1AU away from a G-Class star is an excellent starting point. However if you're looking for life in general, there are many other places it could be lurking.

yeah i know, you briefly mentioned it, and i'm sure he probably didn't know what it was and that probably was the cause for some of his confusion.

but yeah the relative hospitibility of planets is a good point
Sabz5150

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 01:47 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;51217 wrote:
yeah i know, you briefly mentioned it, and i'm sure he probably didn't know what it was and that probably was the cause for some of his confusion.

but yeah the relative hospitibility of planets is a good point

Another thing people don't quite comprehend is that if life exists on these planets, it's gonna look NOTHING like anything we've seen before. Totally different resources, different environment, different stimuli, different changes in atmosphere, weather, radiation, the list is huge.

Evolution states this in an indirect, yet very concise way. The life on that world will evolve towards different structures, dictated by the environment. If that environment is radically different, your end result will be just as radically different.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 03:54 pm
@Sabz5150,
Quote:
what are you talking about? What line? what do you mean by "it stops going"?

I mean that the future has not happened yet.

Quote:
What theories are you talking about? Big bang and evolution? All theories have evidence, that is the very definition of a scientific theory, which is different than other kinds of theory. In science a theory is basicly a hypothesis with strong evidence.

Semantics, hypotheses, whatever. Not Big Bang and evolution. I believe in evolution. It is compatible with creationism.

Quote:
Name 1 miracle that has "hard scientific data"!

I can never find anything online about it, but I remember reading about Jesus' blood appearing on a host which is preserved to this day. How about the Shroud of Turin? Science has not been able to disprove that at all. The Paschal Fire in Jerusalem, possibly.
Sabz5150

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 04:05 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;51237 wrote:
I can never find anything online about it, but I remember reading about Jesus' blood appearing on a host which is preserved to this day.

I have to stop at this one specifically.

How do you know it was the blood of Jesus? Exactly how would one be able to come to this conclusion? There's no basis for conclusion whatsoever.
Reagaknight

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 04:13 pm
@Sabz5150,
Quote:
Define hospitable.

I'm sure the first two words you think of are "Habitable Zone", the area in which a planet needs to be in order to be habitable.

To us.

Science has already shown that life can survive, and thrive, in what to us is a completely inhospitable environment.

Highly acidic water near the surface of the ocean around volcanic chutes, under thousands of pounds of pressure. Life thrives here.

Sub-arctic conditions with little mineral resources. Life thrives here.

Blistering heat, little to no water, violent storms. Life thrives here.

A human in these elements would die anywhere from a second to a couple of hours.

Most people have this notion that life MUST mirror us. If it's gonna be on a planet, it's gotta have such and such things which just so happen to be EXACTLY what *we* need. They forget the four simple words that come after the word 'Life' in these descriptions: As we know it.

As you and I both agree, science does not know exactly how life began. We've got some ideas, but nothing 100% solid. With that in mind, you must then agree that life might not need what *we* need to start and thrive. If we don't know exactly how it started, then we don't know exactly what's needed to start it.

With that, you have to agree that the possibility exists for life to start in environments which are completely alien, or even outright lethal to us.

So the numbers go up when you talk about how many planets could possibly carry life. *THIS* is why we're rolling around on Mars, spending time and resources to search for ancient waterbeds and yes, life. If we can show that life exists or once existed on another planet, ESPECIALLY one which is outright lethal to us, it puts a whole new spin on the question of what's out there.

Define life.

As far as we know, some water is necessary to life, because of the makeup of life on earth. Water is not present everywhere. Therefore, many planets could not facilitate life as we know it.

On earth, life has relatively common basic needs. If those needs are necessary to all life, Then most planets could probably not shelter it. If not, then life is pretty much a whore. But as far as I know, carbon based life needs at least some Earth-like resources & conditions. Extreme enviornment or not, most planets are much more extreme than hydrothermal vents. Where life has not amounted to anything more than tube worms, BTW.

I'd make a bet that if we knew everything about life in the universe, life on Earth would be one of the best and most unique examples of complex life, unless not all life is carbon based, etc. Life may be possible on other planets, but how did it get started? That's all I care about.

Quote:
The scientific explanation is a completely logical stance. It takes the facts which we have collected, and draws conclusions called theories from what the data tells us. If the data shows us something different, we alter the theory to fit the data found (did you know that the 'Tree of Life' lost a branch?).

Theories are not "proven" or "disproven". This is not math class. This is where people get it wrong first.

Theories are "validated" and "invalidated". Let's use Tiktaalik Roesea as an example.

Evolution had a "missing link" as creationists like to call it. The transition from water to land. So, a group of scientists tasked themselves with finding this link. The theory of Evolution basically said that if such a lifeform were to exist, it would be in such-and-such place at such-and-such time (roughly 370 million years ago in the Denovian period). That would be about the right time, given geologic data and evolutionary lines.

Guess what they found.

The discovery of a fish-tetrapod transitional, in the exact location and exact time that Evolution predicted, is evidence that validates the theory. Genetic data also validates it. Speciation validates it. Everything we've gathered, everything we've learned, everything we've discovered all point to one conclusion: Evolution.

The evidence is there, in mass amounts. If there's something you are unsure about, ask. I'll gladly answer.

I never argued against evolution. How are theories validated or invalidated? With evidence or 'proof.'

Quote:
In order for an explanation, you've gotta show that the miracle happened. Gather these eyewitnesses, collect your data, get your evidence. Bring it forth. You ask for an explanation for something you cannot show actually even happened.

For the purpose of a debate forum?
Reagaknight

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 04:14 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;51239 wrote:
I have to stop at this one specifically.

How do you know it was the blood of Jesus? Exactly how would one be able to come to this conclusion? There's no basis for conclusion whatsoever.

Supposedly it was sent to a lab and they ran some tests on it and whatever they had to put against it.

Okay, anyway, blood spontaneously appears on bread. It's not necessarily Jesus's therefore, it's not that special?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 04:16 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;51237 wrote:
I mean that the future has not happened yet.
Quote:

and this disproves the possibility of an infinite universe how?

Quote:
Semantics, hypotheses, whatever. Not Big Bang and evolution. I believe in evolution. It is compatible with creationism.

creationism and evolution are two different explainations to the same thing, they are not compatible.

creationism asserts that life was instantly created in present form

evolution asserts that life "evolved" into present form over millions of years

Quote:
I can never find anything online about it

What does that tell you? I'm sure if there was hard scientific proof of a miracle it would probably be all over the internet!

Quote:
but I remember reading about Jesus' blood appearing on a host which is preserved to this day.

uh huh, i'm sure :beat:

Quote:
How about the Shroud of Turin?

You mean that bit of linen that supposedly has a picture of jesus on it? First of all i'd like to know how they know what jesus looked like, the bible never described what he looked like.

Quote:
Science has not been able to disprove that at all. The Paschal Fire in Jerusalem, possibly.

science doesn't have to disprove anything, claims such as yours need to provide the evidence

THE BURDEN OF PROOF...
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 04:17 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;51211 wrote:

Don't patronize me, I've heard of this. Biochemical compounds doesn't = life.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 04:22 pm
@Sabz5150,
Quote:
creationism asserts that life was instantly created in present form

Not necessarily. I believe in creationism, as in life was created.

Quote:
You mean that bit of linen that supposedly has a picture of jesus on it? First of all i'd like to know how they know what jesus looked like, the bible never described what he looked like.

There's a picture on a shroud which is percieved as Jesus and science really hasn't done much about that.

Proof is not always a possibility. the proof is right there. There's a fire, it doesn't hurt anyone, it's a miracle. There you go.
Sabz5150

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 04:28 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;51241 wrote:
Supposedly it was sent to a lab and they ran some tests on it and whatever they had to put against it.

What tests could you possibly run that would conclude that it was blood from someone that died somewhere around 2,000 years ago, with not one single DNA sample to test against?

Quote:
Okay, anyway, blood spontaneously appears on bread. It's not necessarily Jesus's therefore, it's not that special?

What evidence do you have to support your claim? You've stated a position, back it up Smile
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 05:35 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;51244 wrote:
Not necessarily. I believe in creationism, as in life was created.

that's not what creationism is, here is what it means:

creationism: Definition and Much More from Answers.com

Quote:
There's a picture on a shroud which is percieved as Jesus and science really hasn't done much about that.

No one knows what jesus looked like, and what exactly do you expect science to do "about" the shroud?

Quote:
Proof is not always a possibility. the proof is right there. There's a fire, it doesn't hurt anyone, it's a miracle. There you go.

Thats only proof of people's will to survive, and nothing more.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 07:41 pm
@Sabz5150,
Quote:
What tests could you possibly run that would conclude that it was blood from someone that died somewhere around 2,000 years ago, with not one single DNA sample to test against?

I read it years ago and don't remember everything, but there are supposed to be other relics.

Quote:
What evidence do you have to support your claim? You've stated a position, back it up

Which would require that it iss recorded on the internet, which is quite a flimsy way of debating here. I can't tell you how many times I've been forced to type accounts out of books on this forum. And this was a pamphlet type thing I read years ago. Contemporary miracle info on the internet consists mainly of wackos healing people with prayer.

Quote:
that's not what creationism is, here is what it means:

Semantics again. If we're going be answers.com, I suppose I believe in intelligent design. Happy?

Quote:
No one knows what jesus looked like, and what exactly do you expect science to do "about" the shroud?

The shroud has gone through tests and I'm pretty sure there wasn't a solid argument against the possibility of it being Jesus.

Quote:
Thats only proof of people's will to survive, and nothing more.

I'm talking about the aforementioned Paschal Fire. People touch it for more than a few seconds and are unharmed.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 08:30 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;51250 wrote:
I read it years ago and don't remember everything, but there are supposed to be other relics.

right now you said there was "Hard scientific" evidence of miracles so far i've seen none.

Quote:
Which would require that it iss recorded on the internet, which is quite a flimsy way of debating here. I can't tell you how many times I've been forced to type accounts out of books on this forum. And this was a pamphlet type thing I read years ago. Contemporary miracle info on the internet consists mainly of wackos healing people with prayer.

Prayer won't heal ya - Boing Boing

Quote:
Semantics again. If we're going be answers.com, I suppose I believe in intelligent design. Happy?

yes

Quote:
The shroud has gone through tests and I'm pretty sure there wasn't a solid argument against the possibility of it being Jesus.

Just as we don't need to disprove bigfoot same goes for other claims there doesn't have to be, the burden of proof lies on those who make the claim, so if you say the shroud was jesus' be prepared to back up that statemnet. So far there is not a single shred of evidence that this shroud belonged to jesus.

Quote:

I'm talking about the aforementioned Paschal Fire. People touch it for more than a few seconds and are unharmed.

yeah and there are people in India who walk on thousand degree coals and yet their feet aren't burnt, do you suppose thats a miracle or just ones that support you belief?
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 08:36 pm
@Sabz5150,
Quote:
right now you said there was "Hard scientific" evidence of miracles so far i've seen none.

The tests would constitute that if it's true.

Don't need to tell me.

Quote:
Just as we don't need to disprove bigfoot same goes for other claims there doesn't have to be, the burden of proof lies on those who make the claim, so if you say the shroud was jesus' be prepared to back up that statemnet. So far there is not a single shred of evidence that this shroud belonged to jesus.

That would work if htey left it alone. But since they set out to disprove the shroud they now also have they burden of proof.

Quote:
yeah and there are people in India who walk on thousand degree coals and yet their feet aren't burnt, do you suppose thats a miracle or just ones that support you belief?

So next time you go camping, stick your hand in the fire and see if it hurts. Very Happy
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 08:44 pm
@Reagaknight,
Quote:
Reagaknight]The tests would constitute that if it's true.

and they haven't yet....and i won't take it seriously untill they do.

Quote:
That would work if they left it alone. But since they set out to disprove the shroud they now also have they burden of proof.

they don't set out to either prove or disprove something, they simple study it and then we see if the evidence supports or denies the belief. Also questioning the authenticity of a claim does not shift the burden of proof, they burden of proof lies on those who make the claim, it is not the olbligation of scientists/historians to disprove anything.

Quote:

So next time you go camping, stick your hand in the fire and see if it hurts. Very Happy

You didn't answer my question!
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 06:34 am
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;51240 wrote:
Define life.

Easiest part of the post.

Wikipedia defines Life as:

(Source: Life - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

Nowhere in this definition does it give what is needed to make life. It does, however, give the most basic properties of life.

Quote:
As far as we know, some water is necessary to life, because of the makeup of life on earth. Water is not present everywhere. Therefore, many planets could not facilitate life as we know it.

Again, the words "as far as we know" and "as we know it" surface real quick. Yes, life on this planet requires water. Good thing most of the surface is covered with it, no? However it can be seen as merely a requirement for *our* life, life on this planet. Again, the definition for life does not specifically require, in any way, a presence of water.

The reason we search for water is, well hey... it worked here, we kinda know what to look for, so it just might work there.

Quote:
On earth, life has relatively common basic needs. If those needs are necessary to all life, Then most planets could probably not shelter it. If not, then life is pretty much a whore. But as far as I know, carbon based life needs at least some Earth-like resources & conditions. Extreme enviornment or not, most planets are much more extreme than hydrothermal vents. Where life has not amounted to anything more than tube worms, BTW.

Are tube worms not life?

Most planets? Defined by our... twelve if ya count the small guys (poor Pluto, he'll always be a planet... bastards.) planets? Well, if you toss in the moons, the numbers start to change a bit. I'm assuming by "extreme" you are referring to places like Venus and Io, perhaps Triton... places where human exploration won't come for a LONG time, if at all. Take out the dead worlds... the outer four, most moons, gas giants, etc. and yes, you're left with a small number, but that number is greater than one.

We've got Mars, which becomes a possible candidate more and more every day. Possible ideas for life there include microbial life that is based around hydrogen peroxide instead of water. We've shown that at one time liquid flowed on the planet. So life might not be there, but if may have been there at one time.

Titan has everything we have... bodies of liquid, an atmosphere, weather patterns, the moon looks to be volcanically active (ice volcanoes). It's a lot like us, just colder and with a different makeup.

Europa. All these worlds are yours except Europa. Attempt no landing there. The possibility for a liquid "ocean" under the surface exists, given that the moon is most likely kept active by Jupiter in the same way as Io, albeit not as extreme. What was it... somewhere between 3 and 20 megarads of radiation energy arc between Jupiter and Io on a regular basis? Anyway, if the moon is kept active, and the liquid warm, life could happen.

Quote:
I'd make a bet that if we knew everything about life in the universe, life on Earth would be one of the best and most unique examples of complex life, unless not all life is carbon based, etc. Life may be possible on other planets, but how did it get started? That's all I care about.

That is the mystery, isn't it?

And I'd take that bet saying that there are other, possibly more advanced, forms of life out there. Perhaps rather close. The more extrasolar planets we find, the more and more that looks like a good wager. Will we find them in our lifetimes? Unless we get a huge boost in space research and technology, sadly no.

Quote:
I never argued against evolution. How are theories validated or invalidated? With evidence or 'proof.'

Which there is quite a bit of.

Quote:
For the purpose of a debate forum?

Yes, for the purpose of a debate forum. At least gather SOME evidence. Just saying blood appeared on something doesn't go far. I'm not saying go and interview these people, but at least put up some info that shows this isn't just something pulled outta the air.
0 Replies

klyph

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 12:43 am
@Sabz5150,
Still no squirrel fish eh? That's what I thought Razz