Christians upset over Golden Compass

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 08:09 am
Religious groups continue to call for boycott of The Golden Compass - Times Online

Seriously, guys? C'mon...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,064 • Replies: 82
No top replies

Numpty

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 11:30 am
@Sabz5150,

Dear oh dear oh dear. Where do these people come from?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 11:49 am
@Numpty,
It's much the same when they tried to ban Harry Potter, if anything their hate for the movie will actually cause more people to see it!
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 02:09 pm
@Sabz5150,
We saw how unsuccessful Da Vinci Code was when these same religious zealots tried to boycott it
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 03:13 pm
@Sabz5150,
The Da Vinci Code was not aimed at children.

The Golden Compass is the first in a trilogy that ends with "God" being killed. God is portrayed as a feeble old man as well. It's clearly an effort to indoctrinate children against believing in God and Christ.

Phillip Pullman (the author) has made no effort to hide his agenda to destroy God and all things Christian.

As a parent and grandparent I think it is my responsiblity to teach my children the standards and beliefs that make up my core value system. When they reach an age that they can make their own decisions regarding their lives then they can evaluate the beliefs and standards of others.

In a nutshell, if I am responsible for their actions, physcial wellbeing and welfare then I will indoctrinate them with my beliefs. When Phillip Pullman is responsible for them he can do so!

Let's hope the "moral majority" speaks out on this film like they have done on a few other flops lately!
Numpty

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 03:31 pm
@westernmom,
westernmom;47613 wrote:

The Golden Compass is the first in a trilogy that ends with "God" being killed. God is portrayed as a feeble old man as well. It's clearly an effort to indoctrinate children against believing in God and Christ.

Phillip Pullman (the author) has made no effort to hide his agenda to destroy God and all things Christian.

As a parent and grandparent I think it is my responsiblity to teach my children the standards and beliefs that make up my core value system. When they reach an age that they can make their own decisions regarding their lives then they can evaluate the beliefs and standards of others.

In a nutshell, if I am responsible for their actions, physcial wellbeing and welfare then I will indoctrinate them with my beliefs. When Phillip Pullman is responsible for them he can do so!

Let's hope the "moral majority" speaks out on this film like they have done on a few other flops lately!

It's a fantasy book based upon erm...fantasy. There may well be similarites but does that really mean there is an agenda to destroy god and all things christian. A little paranoid arn't you?

Oh by the way thanks for the spoiler :27: I was going to watch it Saturday, darn it, ah well never mind.
0 Replies

RED DEVIL cv

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 04:16 pm
@Sabz5150,
I would suggest treating it as the entertainment format in which it exists. One cannot control the content of something that is beyond their control to do, but one can and should control the "moral" character of their offspring. This process starts at home, with home education. If this is properly done and the child is presented with the facts on any subject they will respond with the content of their heart, and any information contained in any movie formated attempt at subverting their moral character will be of non effect. I suggest telling them truth, and when they are old enough to comprehend and make decisions on their own all one can do is trust on the foundation of truth that has been lain. I have told my children when viewing any entertainment based subject to treat it as just that...make believe not founded in truth but fantasy, they are intelligent enough to know the difference. For example, I found my youngest watching the discovery channel and "laughing" at the presentation. When asked what was so funny, he pointed out that they were presenting "their idea" of ancient earth history as "fact", when he actually knew that it was based on theory. One will be surprised how intelligent these children are, if given the opportunity of trust.

In fact I would find it an "insult" to my parenting skills for anyone to suggest that a 90 minute movie should have the ability to undermine the entirety of my parenting responsibility, after all we as parents are in control these young minds for 2/3 of least their first 18 years of life.....if they fall short, it is not the responsibility of the "village" of assume BLAME, but ours as parents. I suggest we all do a better job, and indeed this starts at home, not on the turf that has been pre-selected by simple minded people. RD
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 05:22 pm
@westernmom,
westernmom;47613 wrote:

this is ridiculous, philip pullman himself has said the movie was anti-theocracy NOT anti-religious, even the character that is believed to be god, isn't an actual god.

Gets your facts straight!
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 02:45 pm
@Sabz5150,
Phillip Pullman stated in an interview with the Washington Post in 2001 that his goal is to undermine Christian belief.

Everyone has the freedom to either go and watch this movie or to boycott it. It's your choice. Mine is to discourage my friends and family from it. As far as parenting choices; as a grandmother I found that by setting good examples and encouraging good choices usually worked but sometimes kids are more influenced by the outside that I would choose. Having raised 5 children I also know that given the same circumstances some kids will always make the right choice and some will often choose the wrong path.

There was once a statement made about a very famous guy saying, "He will tell you a thousand truths to slip in one lie." Who was that? Oh yes, Satan!

To me it's like having someone offer you a glass of orange juice with just a few drops of urine in it. Is it still okay to drink by your standards? Not mine!!! Or dropping a donut in a pile of manure. Do you pick it up and dust it off and go ahead and eat it? I wouldn't. Opening the door just a small crack to let Satan into your life... You might just as well throw it wide open because he will find a way into it completely. Of course, this is only if you believe in God and Satan...

As far as treating it as entertainment... Isn't that what the Columbine kids said about their music???
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 03:01 pm
@westernmom,
westernmom;47777 wrote:
Phillip Pullman stated in an interview with the Washington Post in 2001 that his goal is to undermine Christian belief.

Everyone has the freedom to either go and watch this movie or to boycott it. It's your choice. Mine is to discourage my friends and family from it. As far as parenting choices; as a grandmother I found that by setting good examples and encouraging good choices usually worked but sometimes kids are more influenced by the outside that I would choose. Having raised 5 children I also know that given the same circumstances some kids will always make the right choice and some will often choose the wrong path.

There was once a statement made about a very famous guy saying, "He will tell you a thousand truths to slip in one lie." Who was that? Oh yes, Satan!

To me it's like having someone offer you a glass of orange juice with just a few drops of urine in it. Is it still okay to drink by your standards? Not mine!!! Or dropping a donut in a pile of manure. Do you pick it up and dust it off and go ahead and eat it? I wouldn't. Opening the door just a small crack to let Satan into your life... You might just as well throw it wide open because he will find a way into it completely. Of course, this is only if you believe in God and Satan...

As far as treating it as entertainment... Isn't that what the Columbine kids said about their music???

This is all hype created by the church, it's overly exaggerated claims and you know it. This is no different than what the church said about Harry Potter, did all the little kids who saw harry Potter turn into little satan worshipping magick users? NO. You shouldn't believe everything you read and see on TV!
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 03:46 pm
@Sabz5150,
Fatal,

Please don't assume that I can't think for myself when it comes to making decisions. I have known about Phillip Pullman long before this movie!

This is the exact same kind of reasoning that helped Hitler stay in power.

Like I said, we each may make our own decisions on whether to support this movie or not. Why is my decision not to attend it any more wrong than your decision to go? Why does this decision make me any less intelligent than you?

I also banned my kids from reading R L Stine when they were younger! I volunteered in a library for years and have a little experience with different authors and their agenda's.

I wasn't born yesterday and I know how the Madeline O'Hare's of this world work!
Numpty

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 03:46 pm
@westernmom,
westernmom;47777 wrote:

Just a quick question.

Have you actually read the books?

I haven't but my brother who is a one man reading machine reliably informs that the person who is god in the books isn't actually god, but someone who is pretending to be god (if that makes sense?)

So unless you have read it for yourself, I think one can't really pass judgement, which includes me.
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 04:06 pm
@westernmom,
westernmom;47790 wrote:
Fatal,

Please don't assume that I can't think for myself when it comes to making decisions. I have known about Phillip Pullman long before this movie!

This is the exact same kind of reasoning that helped Hitler stay in power.

Like I said, we each may make our own decisions on whether to support this movie or not. Why is my decision not to attend it any more wrong than your decision to go? Why does this decision make me any less intelligent than you?

I also banned my kids from reading R L Stine when they were younger! I volunteered in a library for years and have a little experience with different authors and their agenda's.

I wasn't born yesterday and I know how the Madeline O'Hare's of this world work!

you are making too many presumptions, i never said you were incapable of thinking for yourself, all i am saying is that you are illinformed about this movie. Try not to jump to conclusions without actually seeing the movie for yourself!
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 04:28 pm
@Sabz5150,
Well, I'm going to see it and sneak in a flask of Patron.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 04:40 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;47800 wrote:
Well, I'm going to see it and sneak in a flask of Patron.

i wasn't planning on seeing the movie but after all of the fuss over the movie i HAVE to see it now, and i plan on sneaking in a big bag of gummy bears, the concession prices are so high!
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 04:52 pm
@Sabz5150,
Patron and Gummy Bears...one of my favorite combos
Sabz5150

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 06:25 am
@socalgolfguy,
Saw the movie. Opening night.

It wasn't bad.

Getting to the point, I saw NOTHING that would deter a child from religion. Of course the whole "Demon" thing probably scared the Christians a bit right from the start. But hey... another universe!

The whole Magisterium thing... are you guys getting up in arms about a ruthless autocratic "authority" that pushes it's views and ways on everyone by any means possible? Doesn't that say something?

This movie isn't going to use some evil darwin black magic to turn your kids into athiests. You can stop worrying now.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 11:58 am
@Sabz5150,
Anyone that would allow a movie to influence their lives gets what they deserve. I use Michael Moore as an example. For a guy that makes a huge living supposedly fighting for the common man, I do not see him giving much back. He's a common panderer, just in it for the money, fame and power. Hell, I've probably done more for the working man that he.
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 12:18 pm
@westernmom,
westernmom;47613 wrote:

Passion Of The Christ.

Not for ids will be the argument

so I retort with CONVERSATIONS WITH GOD

There is 100 movies to convince children in gods existence, to every 1 Golden Compass
Sabz5150

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 01:00 pm
@rugonnacry,
rugonnacry;48192 wrote:
Passion Of The Christ.

Not for ids will be the argument

so I retort with CONVERSATIONS WITH GOD

There is 100 movies to convince children in gods existence, to every 1 Golden Compass

"Rated R for sequences of graphic violence."

The Passion of the Christ (2004)

Yet they freely show their kids this?
0 Replies