The DaVinci Code

rudypepper

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 01:20 pm
What did everyone think when they finished reading and looked at the painting of The Last Supper? That sure looked like a woman to me. Plus, the image of her/he and Christ were mirrors of each other, up to the position of the head and the location of the sash.
0 Replies

Mile-O-Phile

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 05:13 am
Da Vinci's other painting of John the Baptist has him looking feminine. It is more likely that the artist pictured him that way.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 02:46 pm
Don't forget that daVinci was gay. His endowing some male figures with feminine characteristics is hardly surprising. He was also left-handed, although I don't know whether that's germane to anything.
0 Replies

-andrea-

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 02:44 pm
I liked the book, kept me entertained for a couple of hours Smile but i don't think it's a masterpiece...people are hyping it way too much.
There's better books about religious mistery...
0 Replies

maya

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 06:24 am
I tried, and I tried again, but just couldn't seem to get interested in this book. Considering all the brouhaha I can't help wondering, is it me, my ADD, or have I lost the ability to be entertained? Is there anyone else out there who feels the same?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 02:26 pm
Possibly, maya, you were blindsided by all the brouhaha which led you to expect something different from what the book actually is. What it is, is a gigantic sendup of the gullible. Anybody who thinks the author intended his work to be taken seriously is misreading it very badly. The whole thing is a lark, a joke, a put-on. Read in that spirit, it is hilarious.
0 Replies

michaelmuschick

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 06:56 am
Da Vinci Code fourliners, English version
Just read Browns "Da Vinci Code" in French. In this version the fourliners (from chapters 82 and 72, as far as I remember) have been translated not as footnotes, but, unfortunately, right in the text body. Result: There are no more iambic pentameters to be recognized Crying or Very sad

So could somebody please post the original English versions (2 x 4 lines) ? Thx.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 08:24 am
I just started this(my Aunt gave it to me, and I wanted to take a break form stuff like Chomsky, etc).

I'll comment when I get done, but so far--so good.
0 Replies

fluffhead237

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 01:44 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
Possibly, maya, you were blindsided by all the brouhaha which led you to expect something different from what the book actually is. What it is, is a gigantic sendup of the gullible. Anybody who thinks the author intended his work to be taken seriously is misreading it very badly. The whole thing is a lark, a joke, a put-on. Read in that spirit, it is hilarious.

I've heard this point of view before and it really confuses me since I didn't find the book funny at all. That's not saying I believe the story through in through. I just thought of it as more a thought provoking, adventurous story than a sarcastic, humorous one. Yes, some people take it too seriously, but at the same time if you laugh at this story you might be missing the theme.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 02:56 pm
Dear Dash, the adventures in this adventurous story are so over the top they remind me of nothing so much as a Perils of Pauline silent movie serial or a Harold Lloyd or Charlie Chaplin full-length feature film.
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 07:58 pm
Without rehashing what has come before, I have read all four of his books and enjoyed them. Digital Fotress and Deception Point are quite different from the others and fun reads. That's all.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 06:35 am
I got a question:
Did you think that the things the book told are really true?
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 10:30 pm
But read Stephen Knight's 'The Brotherhood' for genuine expose of Masons and their influence. Great for Conspiracy Theorists, and fascinating if even half true.

Don't know why you are so poohpoohing about incorporating the feminine principle into Christianity. It's noticeably absent. (but the Sangreal thing, maybe not)
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 12:07 am
Sorry Clary.
I am not so poohpoohing that, I am not that kind of people and i am also not a Christan so i dont care about masculine or feminine principles in that.

I just wonder where did the author get the historical info. or why did he think about that and how can it be proved.
As you mentioned things about Sangreal. I mostly doubt that.

You know anyway i am very excited about this book and even lost my sleep for couple of days due to this kind of "exhilarant " Smile.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 12:11 am
Yes, it's good in that way!! It was the remarks of some of the others that I thought were a bit dismissive. But of course the story was invented, although some of the background may be true. The history of the Masons and the Knights Templar is well documented fact. And it certainly seems true that nobody really knows what the Holy Grail is.
It's become a symbol of anything that is unattainable.
By the way, are you able to get A2K with no problems in China? Does it get censored?
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 01:23 am
I admit that cencorship really exist but not as big as you think.Sad
besides Ak2 i can also go to some others like BBC, CNN, ABC, Newsweek International subscription, Very Happy

the only website that i have found to be forbidden by the censorship was Voice of America (VOA). you know in our government's eyes it is a thorough
proganda machine of USA government.
Even for me i thinks VOA is a little thick. But i know this is not good.
Smile oh and some erotic websites (or yellow one as you know:)) you know that is not suitable for east culture. In easterners' eyes it is more evil than it in westerners' eyes

But anyway our country is getting better and better domecracy.Actually Communism have lost its stronghold in youngsters' mind. the age under 30 dislike Mao(even seniors have a complicated mind). And we create monitor in school by eletion also with proganda and exciting speech.

It just need time.Smile
Be optimistic, A strong chian needs time.Smile
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 01:36 am
Good, good. I wish they could get democracy here in HK, they deserve it. Newsweek says that Tung Chee Hwa is the best reason for democracy there is, and even hardline communists are starting to agree!

Is life good there in Nanjing? Is there a big gap between the rich and the poor? How about pollution?

Yes VOA is obvious propaganda, too obvious to take people in, I would have thought. You don't lose much by not having it! Good old BBC gets there, does it? It's pretty consistent and impartial, still, I think.
How old are you? (if that isn't a rude question!) What are your earliest memories?
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 01:49 am
haha

yeah as you said the gap really exist.
I BELIEVE IT IS LARGEST PROBLEM OF CHINA.
it is not obvius in Nanjing but if you go to a northwestern village after you have visited Shanghai you will be very very ... angry, even you will cry if you are a welldoer. Crying or Very sad

I am serious about it! Mad

ok drop it for a while

BBC is great, i have a Internet Radio Receiver so i can receive thousands of fantastic channels

and about my age Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Evil or Very Mad
haha
yeah not rude enough
okokok
let me claim more personal details of me(POOR!!! Embarrassed ):i am 15
and you?
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 03:52 am
15! So you were born in 1989, year of the Tiananmen Square massacre?

Well, I first went to China in 1979, and believe me, it is amazing how different it is now.

You should buy my books to perfect your English (although yours is very good) - published by PEP and Commercial Press, HK, called Pep Up Your English. I just did the lowest level, but there are some good books by my nephew at the higher level.
Smile they are not too expensive!
I have been to the northwest (Urumchi, Turfan), and indeed there was poverty, although I have heard stories that are even more awful than anything I saw.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 03:54 am
Come to England!
Actually we have some mainland Chinese in my school of English in England, not many and always hoping for more.. any chance you could come? We have teenager courses in the summer, 2-8 weeks long. Have a look at my website www.totenglish.co.uk - I'm not allowed to advertise it on the forum!
0 Replies