PayPal? I don't use PayPal?

Letty

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 03:01 pm
I just got an e-mail from outlook express saying something about my account would be placed on restricted status? Shocked

I don't have an account with PayPal so how could I be placed on any kind of status?

Be in Orlando for a few days, so I'll check back in later...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,717 • Replies: 52
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 03:05 pm
Shocked

Answer the email telling them that, and see who responds...
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 03:05 pm
Dont understand Letty...is the email from PayPal?

What account---the Paypal account you dont have?

There is a hoax email going around that looks like its from PayPal.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 03:10 pm
Don't answer that at all Letty! It's really a hoax - PayPal like any other serious company would never ask such per email!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 03:12 pm
Thanks Walter, Quinn, and Deb. I'll just delete it...

Happy Holiday yawl

See you in a couple of days..
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 03:15 pm
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/scams/paypal.asp

NEVER, NEVER give credit card or banking information by E Mail. No reputable company asks for such information by E Mail.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 03:37 pm
It is spam. I got one myself. One of my favorites of this genre arrives periodically. Purporting to be from my bank, it tells me my credit card has been charged a specific amount, then asks me to reply with my credit card number and expiration date. Right...
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 04:46 pm
I got this too.
The other night on the news the had an internet alert. Two different banks had been targeted, when customers went to their sites, a pop up screen came up asking for an update of their account info. This was of course a scam, but a potentially dangerous one.
Here is an article I found it explains both scams.
http://www.digitaldefence.ca/html/article_306.shtml
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 05:06 pm
The best advise is never open any email that you don't recognize as being legit. I'm even leary about some email I receive from friends that have attachments.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 07:06 pm
well, im waiting for my 40 million from Dr Bono Nobo of Nigeria, and all I hadda do was send my account numbers so he could deposit the 40 mil. Im gonna throw a big party and fly yall in fer it.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 07:17 pm
I got one from Yahoo which needed me to update my credit card information, or my email account would be stopped. I put a block on their address. Those spammers will try anything.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 07:28 pm
I once received an email, which I happened to open because it was without an attachment and my OS was Macintosh, whose announcement was that a lottery, of somewhere in Europe, fell on me, which I had not bought (probably some million). I immediately deleted it from the mail server and my machine.
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 08:58 pm
I got a virus alert from Corrie (remember Corrie from Abuzz?) warning about a new virus that did have the name PayPal in it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 10:01 pm
There are two PayPal alerts. The first one is asking for personal info, and the second one is a virus.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 10:03 pm
BTW, PayPal sent out a notice informing customers that they never ask for personal info by email, and to make sure that the adress line shows <http://www.PayPal.com>. Other senders are unable to use their email address.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 01:59 am
Oh my!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 02:19 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
BTW, PayPal sent out a notice informing customers that they never ask for personal info by email, and to make sure that the adress line shows <http://www.PayPal.com>. Other senders are unable to use their email address.

Woah, that's dangerous counsel.

ANYONE can send email and make it look like it comes from their address and it's very easy (requiring no computer skills).

When they say to verify the URL they are talking about when you log in to your account through your browser, not email.

For example, it would be easy for someone to send you an email with paypal.com as the return address (forging this header). In the email they could have a link that looks like paypal.com but that directs you to a different site.

e.g.

www.paypal.com

That's a link to Able2Know's home page.

Now if they trick you into getting to a page they control they will have that page designed exactly like paypal hoping you will log in (and send them your account name and password through their page).

So paypal is saying to make sure that whenever you enter your password, you ONLY do it on a a page on the paypal.com website. Do not enter it on any other variation, someone could easily register something similar to paypal and then pull the email trick.

As long as you never type that password in any emails or on webpages other than paypal.com you are safe from this very simple trick.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 02:29 am
Oh my squared!!!!!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 02:32 am
LOL, it's really very easy to avoid deb, just never give out the password through email and when logging in always make sure you are loggin in to the correct site and not just one designed the same way and that possibly has a similar name.

That's a good thing to remember for any site.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 02:35 am
Yep. Thing is, I would never be fooled by crap email myself - but when people talk about it, I am horrified!!!!!!
0 Replies