Moral sense comes from the knowledge of good and evil. Would you give it up?

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 09:05 am
Moral sense.

Moral sense comes from the knowledge of good and evil. Would you give it up?

The Church still prizes the Moral Sense as man's noblest asset today, although the Church knows God had a distinctly poor opinion of it and did what he could in his clumsy way to keep his happy Children of the Garden from acquiring it.

How many of us would give up our moral sense and return to animal ignorance or instincts that live without it.

I would not because it tells me why I follow God.

Would you prefer to be a sheep and follow God without knowing why?

Regards
DL
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,693 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 05:23 pm
@Greatest I am cv,
Are you suggesting that a sense of morality comes from the christian religion?
Reagaknight

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 07:43 pm
@Greatest I am cv,
No, he didn't say that, it's just your OCD.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 08:38 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;53635 wrote:
No, he didn't say that, it's just your OCD.

maybe. :dunno:
Greatest I am cv

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 09:03 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;53624 wrote:
Are you suggesting that a sense of morality comes from the christian religion?

No.
Good and evil are universal concepts.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am cv

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 09:04 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;53646 wrote:
maybe. :dunno:

What is OCD.

Regards
DL
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:05 pm
@Greatest I am cv,
Greatest I am;53658 wrote:
No.
Good and evil are universal concepts.

Regards
DL

Would you say that they are "absolute" concepts?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:07 pm
@Greatest I am cv,
Greatest I am;53659 wrote:
What is OCD.

Regards
DL

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

(sorry if you were being sarcastic, i can't always tell...)
0 Replies

Greatest I am cv

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 08:26 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;53695 wrote:
Would you say that they are "absolute" concepts?

Not as I define that word.
I say this cautiously because at the end of philosophy the only thing left to argue will be the definition of words.

Regards
DL
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 05:17 pm
@Greatest I am cv,
Greatest I am;53713 wrote:
Not as I define that word.
I say this cautiously because at the end of philosophy the only thing left to argue will be the definition of words.

Regards
DL

...and how do you define that word?
Greatest I am cv

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 12:09 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;53729 wrote:
...and how do you define that word?

Having no qualifications is the best dictionary term I could find to use.

Regards
DL
mako cv

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 12:53 pm
@Greatest I am cv,
Good and Evil are concepts based on a society's views. What is good to your culture might be considered as the rankest of evil my my culture. As many philosophers have tried to say, there is no good and there is no evil. It is all in how you precieve it. :patriot:
Greatest I am cv

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 01:59 pm
@mako cv,
mako;58292 wrote:
Good and Evil are concepts based on a society's views. What is good to your culture might be considered as the rankest of evil my my culture. As many philosophers have tried to say, there is no good and there is no evil. It is all in how you precieve it. :patriot:

The question was not your views. It was would you give it up.

Regards
DL
mako cv

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 02:02 pm
@Greatest I am cv,
As I said, moral sense is dictated by your culture - you can only give it up if you give up your culture, which is a near impossibility. :patriot:
marcus cv

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 09:44 am
@mako cv,
When it comes to moral sense I don't believe we ever had animal ignorance or instincts. Even in the "wild" by our standards culture we observe the need to feed children, not to kill your parents etc. Of course some cultures would show more wild characteristics based on their food supply, and that's how we got into the law. But over all we know what is good and what is bad. Why? How do we know what is evil? Isn't because we know what is not evil. It was a time when it was no good (of our understanding) because it was no evil. It was all great, no separation. But then man wanted to explore and know, we are all now "privileged" to know and experience evil and good.
I would agree that moral sense is a very relative term that come out from the differentiation of evil and good, but at the beginning it was not so.
Greatest I am cv

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 10:16 pm
@marcus cv,
marcus;58609 wrote:
When it comes to moral sense I don't believe we ever had animal ignorance or instincts. Even in the "wild" by our standards culture we observe the need to feed children, not to kill your parents etc. Of course some cultures would show more wild characteristics based on their food supply, and that's how we got into the law. But over all we know what is good and what is bad. Why? How do we know what is evil? Isn't because we know what is not evil. It was a time when it was no good (of our understanding) because it was no evil. It was all great, no separation. But then man wanted to explore and know, we are all now "privileged" to know and experience evil and good.
I would agree that moral sense is a very relative term that come out from the differentiation of evil and good, but at the beginning it was not so.

I say that moral sense comes from knowledge of good and evil. God seems to agree--to be as God,s knowing good and evil---.

You say that in the beginning we got it from some other factors.

What are those factors. How did Eve know good end evil before the tree of knowledge?

Regards
DL
marcus cv

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 05:50 am
@Greatest I am cv,
Greatest I am;58615 wrote:
I say that moral sense comes from knowledge of good and evil. God seems to agree--to be as God,s knowing good and evil---.

You say that in the beginning we got it from some other factors.

What are those factors. How did Eve know good end evil before the tree of knowledge?

Regards
DL

I agree with you with that moral sense comes from knowledge of good and evil (my apology if I wasn't clear trying to respond to overall theme of the discussion). Adam and Eve made a decision to know by the act of disobedience (act of evil) she got to know evil. Prior to that it was all the same, all good.

My disagreement was with the concept of returning back to animal instincts, I don't think it's possible. In some form it will be still shown that a person is a human.

I would also be have a different understanding when it comes to following God. We are not following blindly or have no sense in what are we doing. In opposite, Jesus said that "No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you. (John 15:15). Our struggle always is and always will be for the time on this earth, how closely are we willing to follow?
Greatest I am cv

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 09:55 am
@marcus cv,
marcus;58622 wrote:
I agree with you with that moral sense comes from knowledge of good and evil (my apology if I wasn't clear trying to respond to overall theme of the discussion). Adam and Eve made a decision to know by the act of disobedience (act of evil) she got to know evil. Prior to that it was all the same, all good.

My disagreement was with the concept of returning back to animal instincts, I don't think it's possible. In some form it will be still shown that a person is a human.

I would also be have a different understanding when it comes to following God. We are not following blindly or have no sense in what are we doing. In opposite, Jesus said that "No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you. (John 15:15). Our struggle always is and always will be for the time on this earth, how closely are we willing to follow?

Theta would depend on how well you can know the philosophy of anotherwho is not here to respond and guide.

As to what we would be like without moral sense, just think of the Elot of The time Machine. Watching some one drown withought a thought.

Yuck.

Regards
DL
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 04:12 am
dattaswami;58789 wrote:
The knowledge of God avoids crime and corruption in devotee

Then explain why atheists statistically speaking are significantly less likely to divorce or end up in prison....
dattaswami cv

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 11:28 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;58810 wrote:
Then explain why atheists statistically speaking are significantly less likely to divorce or end up in prison....

Good point, The answer is;

Miracles only prove the existence of unimaginable God. Anybody including the demon demonstrating the miracles is in the service of God to establish the existence of God to an atheist. Miracles exist widely with God in human form, devotees and even evil demons. Establishment of existence of original unimaginable God is the fundamental subject that needs wide publicity and hence God has spread miracles in wide range. Once the existence of God is accepted, the atheist becomes theist. This is the foundation step.

Even Shankara spent all His life in the first step only to convert atheistic Purvamimamsakas and Buddhists. Existence of God is needed even to establish Pravrutti through creating fear for hell. If God and hell are not accepted, the sin will grow to climax in a slow and steady way.

For this point only, God comes down to establish His existence and there by create the fear for hell so that at least the percentage of sin and injustice comes to a minimum level, though complete eradication is impossible. God is not at all bothered to establish Himself for the sake of Nivrutti. If the society runs completely on justice, He will not mind even if all the human beings are atheists.