ATHIESTS IN ASIA LIVE with no belief system

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 07:20 pm
As I stated in another thread, who started this notion that you need to have faith to live well? Nonsense, the 8 years I lived in South Korea & Japan were the years when I met some of the best people I've ever known. They're mostly happy, well adjusted, family oriented, successful regular people but also Atheist due to practicing Buddhism and Shintoism.

From responses I recieved in other threads, most of you think you need a belief system to be happy or fulfilled - what crazt crap is that? At best organized religions area huge crutch, proof positive by how many millions live very well around the world.

Now your attacks will most likely come in the form of venting frustration from my being right. Or armchair drugstore psychology, what's my age etc. That's what happens when you get defensive, getting defensive puts you on the defense, the ropes.

I know Atheists in Asia that are much better christians here in America. Case in point, the recent Amish school girl killings in Pennsylvania. The Amish invited the killers parents to dinner and forgave the killer. That stuff never happens with any demonination of Christianity or Catholicism - NEVER. More often it's Catholic's like Bill O'Reilly spewing hatred, that guy never loves, forgives, shows compassion or understanding, that's the kind of christians we have in the US.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,798 • Replies: 38
No top replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 07:38 pm
@DesertDave,
DesertDave;18945 wrote:
As I stated in another thread, who started this notion that you need to have faith to live well? Nonsense, the 8 years I lived in South Korea & Japan were the years when I met some of the best people I've ever known. They're mostly happy, well adjusted, family oriented, successful regular people but also Atheist due to practicing Buddhism and Shintoism.

From responses I recieved in other threads, most of you think you need a belief system to be happy or fulfilled - what crazt crap is that? At best organized religions area huge crutch, proof positive by how many millions live very well around the world.

Now your attacks will most likely come in the form of venting frustration from my being right. Or armchair drugstore psychology, what's my age etc. That's what happens when you get defensive, getting defensive puts you on the defense, the ropes.

I know Atheists in Asia that are much better christians here in America. Case in point, the recent Amish school girl killings in Pennsylvania. The Amish invited the killers parents to dinner and forgave the killer. That stuff never happens with any demonination of Christianity or Catholicism - NEVER. More often it's Catholic's like Bill O'Reilly spewing hatred, that guy never loves, forgives, shows compassion or understanding, that's the kind of christians we have in the US.
Quote:
From responses I recieved in other threads, most of you think you need a belief system to be happy or fulfilled - what crazt crap is that?
Your assumption would be wrong.
Quote:
At best organized religions area huge crutch, proof positive by how many millions live very well around the world.
Quote:
More often it's Catholic's like Bill O'Reilly spewing hatred, that guy never loves, forgives, shows compassion or understanding, that's the kind of christians we have in the US
You have expressed your opinion why do you seek to sensor bill?
In your opinion. Luckaly for freewill, millions if not billions think your opinion is wrong?
Quote:
Now your attacks will most likely come in the form of venting frustration from my being right.
Lol, your funny.
Quote:
Or armchair drugstore psychology, what's my age etc.
Asking your age is a lagitamate question, i'm fortytwo if you'd like to know.
Quote:
That's what happens when you get defensive, getting defensive puts you on the defense, the ropes.
You have to mount an offence before someone can defend against it. Neither of which has happened.
Quote:
I know Atheists in Asia that are much better christians here in America.
Good for them. There to be commended for such a stringent politic.
Quote:
That stuff never happens with any demonination of Christianity or Catholicism - NEVER.
"NEVER" is a big word, care to elaborate?
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 01:59 pm
@DesertDave,
Quote:
I know Atheists in Asia that are much better christians here in America. Case in point, the recent Amish school girl killings in Pennsylvania. The Amish invited the killers parents to dinner and forgave the killer. That stuff never happens with any demonination of Christianity or Catholicism - NEVER. More often it's Catholic's like Bill O'Reilly spewing hatred, that guy never loves, forgives, shows compassion or understanding, that's the kind of christians we have in

Atheists likethe one in the government of China who make a hobby of persecuting religions? No compassion in the hundreds of Catholic charities in America helping people around the world? If you say so.
Silverchild79

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 02:04 pm
@DesertDave,
Buddhists are very well adjusted by their nature, Buddhism does a great job of explaining the very chaotic nature of life and ways to make peace with it.

As for the Amish family I'm glad they made peace with his parents but forgive he murderer? He should be put to death.
Adam Bing

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 11:35 am
@DesertDave,
DesertDave;18945 wrote:

I have had a similar experience in Asia. They do not waer their religion on their sleeves and while at the receiving end of missionaries they patiently listen and rarely take offense. I was proud to spend 10 years amongst the marvellous people of East Asia.
0 Replies

Adam Bing

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 11:38 am
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;19030 wrote:
Atheists likethe one in the government of China who make a hobby of persecuting religions? No compassion in the hundreds of Catholic charities in America helping people around the world? If you say so.

The catholic charaties help with the intention of harvesting souls. They have on a net-net based, done more harm than good except for some very brave priests and nuns in South America recently. An exception to the rule.
Tulip cv

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 11:45 am
@DesertDave,
Life is not suppose to be easy, in order to learn and grow we experience both the positive and the negative. So when we go through suffering as a natural part of our life span, we get through it by searching for our truth, and unravelling all the crap that has stuck to us along the way. When you reach this point you look for some meaning and the answer is always the same. Call it an energy source, the universal power, the divine, Buddah or God, regardless it is abundant power and unlimited truth.
Numpty

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 01:34 pm
@Tulip cv,
Unfortunately the same brush can tarnish Buddhism as that of Organised Religion. Buddhism is one that is entrenched in 'Karma' basically put 'What goes around comes around'. You may well be shocked to know their views on disabled people. They are disabled because of what they did in another life, simply put, they are being punished for crimes they committed in that previous life. So take a look every disabled person, those with Down's Spinabifida, Dwarfism. You guessed it, all led previously bad lives.

This is ok if you believe we should be punished for leading previously bad lives. But what about the families that love and cherish these poeple only to see them die before their time. What did they do wrong to deserve that heart ache?

No I am affraid true Atheism has no place for Buddhism either. Sorry I am neither on the defensive nor wish to attack, just throwing in what understand to be the beliefs of Buddhists.
0 Replies

Tulip cv

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 05:49 pm
@DesertDave,
No, that isn't true...although l am not doubting that some mislead people have obviously dumped ignorant ideas like this on others...the karma situation deals with reincarnation, and in order to learn the lessons you seek to learn i.e. overcoming a tragedy such as a love loss in order to learn a deeper more profound love that is without conditions, you chose a birth vision of the highest potential. Then you are born into a situation that you chose and go through the life in order to try to overcome and learn and become.
Everyone's life has a challenge to achieve this birth vision, so if you have wealth are you going to give into the ego temptations. And if you have a series of tragedies, are you going to give into ego temptations {such as feeling like a victim}.
What you speak about hits home because I was told l got what l deserved from some sin l must have commited, from a Christian church, so l think the ignorance is universal and of the few who really don't understand.
And as for your question about "What did they do to deserve that heartache?" I think that life is not supposed to be easy, it is supposed to be a challenge to bring a person to the point where they stop trying to control and begin to give it up and continue in faith. Then life begins.
Pinochet73

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 05:58 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;19032 wrote:
Buddhists are very well adjusted by their nature, Buddhism does a great job of explaining the very chaotic nature of life and ways to make peace with it.

As for the Amish family I'm glad they made peace with his parents but forgive he murderer? He should be put to death.

When I wade into the Beast, I do so as either a Buddhist monk, or Medieval Catholic priest, trying to civilize the barbarians who destroyed Rome
in AD 476. Either way, I'm detached a good bit, and resigned to a grim reality.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 05:59 pm
@DesertDave,
Atheists aren't helping Man survive himself. Nonetheless, they're not as dangerous as Muslims.
Tulip cv

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 06:09 pm
@DesertDave,
The world is perfect. We are made in God's image, so our spiritual interior is perfect, and exactly the same as the spiritual interior of everyone regardless of belief...
mlurp

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 07:23 pm
@Tulip cv,
Guess it is the exterior of the person that causes so much saddness. Where hate is taught by any group there is sooner or later action that follows this hate. No compassion, just evil springs forth. No understanding or talk just the evil that the hate taught becomes action. And no place like where one religion is based in many countries. Now all religions have some hate towards others but only one wants to overcome all the others. Maybe two now that the Pope declared the only true Christian is a catholic. But they don't say kill or convert.
0 Replies

Numpty

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 07:49 am
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;43172 wrote:
Atheists aren't helping Man survive himself. Nonetheless, they're not as dangerous as Muslims.

True about them not being as dangerous as muslims that accolade is resigned to Christian folk of the fundamentalist variety.
0 Replies

Tulip cv

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 09:26 am
@DesertDave,
"Guess it is the exterior of the person that causes so much saddness. Where hate is taught by any group there is sooner or later action that follows this hate. No compassion, just evil springs forth. No understanding or talk just the evil that the hate taught becomes action. And no place like where one religion is based in many countries. Now all religions have some hate towards others but only one wants to overcome all the others. Maybe two now that the Pope declared the only true Christian is a catholic. But they don't say kill or convert."--mlurp
That's an interesting observation...but you know l personally don't believe in evil. I believe in ignorance, and l think that people follow what they know, and what they have grown up with to know, and act in only the path they have been programmed to think exists. Ignorance of other ways of peace and understanding.
In this, humans are innocent, and in not being connected to the one-ness of our life, they don't realize that their negative behaviour is in fact hurting themselves.
So, both the catholic idealogoy that they are the only chosen , and the muslim idealolagy that they are the only chosen is equally ignorant, the only element or degree of difference, as you pointed out, is that one murders in thought and word by excommunication and condemnation, and the other murders in violent physicality. Both are not bringing about peace, and it is by it's absence that we are in a world war.
0 Replies

Numpty

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 04:37 pm
@Tulip cv,
Tulip;43166 wrote:
No, that isn't true...although l am not doubting that some mislead people have obviously dumped ignorant ideas like this on others...the karma situation deals with reincarnation, and in order to learn the lessons you seek to learn i.e. overcoming a tragedy such as a love loss in order to learn a deeper more profound love that is without conditions, you chose a birth vision of the highest potential. Then you are born into a situation that you chose and go through the life in order to try to overcome and learn and become.
Everyone's life has a challenge to achieve this birth vision, so if you have wealth are you going to give into the ego temptations. And if you have a series of tragedies, are you going to give into ego temptations {such as feeling like a victim}.
What you speak about hits home because I was told l got what l deserved from some sin l must have commited, from a Christian church, so l think the ignorance is universal and of the few who really don't understand.
And as for your question about "What did they do to deserve that heartache?" I think that life is not supposed to be easy, it is supposed to be a challenge to bring a person to the point where they stop trying to control and begin to give it up and continue in faith. Then life begins.

An interesting point well made. so what you are saying is that using the faith of Buddhism through Karma we each choose our path and are tested and challenge? If we choose a moral life we will be rewarded if not we will be punished, similar to that of Organised Religions view of sin and virtue?
0 Replies

Tulip cv

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 08:53 am
@DesertDave,
Quote:
An interesting point well made. so what you are saying is that using the faith of Buddhism through Karma we each choose our path and are tested and challenge? If we choose a moral life we will be rewarded if not we will be punished, similar to that of Organised Religions view of sin and virtue?
--numpty

Well, I am not a Buddist, but l think we can all learn from other religions...and yes, the begining of what you are saying is correct, we chose, and we are tested and challenged, and it is accepted that it ain't easy and we suffer. The second part of choosing, if we become a Hitler and really do evil acts, yes hell is waiting...however if we chose out of ignorance, we just come back in another lifetime to deal with the issues all over again.
To become enlightened and enter the realms of unconditional love, peace, and abundant happiness, we must find a way to break the cycle. The simple hard way is to love unconditionally, and that is by understanding that all humans are essentially innocent, and are products of their environment, and acting from a place of ignorance. Truly evil people are conscious of what they are doing, and therefore not a product of ignorance.
0 Replies

Campbell34

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 09:28 am
@Adam Bing,
Adam Bing;43071 wrote:
The catholic charaties help with the intention of harvesting souls. They have on a net-net based, done more harm than good except for some very brave priests and nuns in South America recently. An exception to the rule.

There are so many Christian out-reach programs I could not even begin to name them. My wife and I have personal friends that are missionaries in Africa. Not that many years ago the Muslims start to riot and were burning down Christian Churches in that area of the world. Our friend Terry sent his wife away and stayed with other members of the church while the rioting was going on. For days the men of the church walked around the grounds asking God to protect them and spare their buildings. Finally one day a group of Moslems came to the Gate and stared at the few Christian members gathered at the entrance. They thought they were going to burn down their hospital clinic and other buildings. Yet the leader kept looking at them and telling his men to move on. Weeks later after the rioting was over, some of the Moslem men came to their hospital for treatment because they had been hurt during the riots. They could not understand why the hosiptal was still standing. As it turns out, the leader was telling his men to move on, because they saw the buildings all in flames, yet the reality was, not one building was touched. Christians are working all over this earth, and sometimes a the very risk of loseing their own lives. Yet they do this not for themselves, but for God's Glory. And sometimes God shows His power in the most remarkable ways.
Adam Bing

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 08:44 pm
@Campbell34,
Campbell34;43364 wrote:
There are so many Christian out-reach programs I could not even begin to name them. My wife and I have personal friends that are missionaries in Africa. Not that many years ago the Muslims start to riot and were burning down Christian Churches in that area of the world. Our friend Terry sent his wife away and stayed with other members of the church while the rioting was going on. For days the men of the church walked around the grounds asking God to protect them and spare their buildings. Finally one day a group of Moslems came to the Gate and stared at the few Christian members gathered at the entrance. They thought they were going to burn down their hospital clinic and other buildings. Yet the leader kept looking at them and telling his men to move on. Weeks later after the rioting was over, some of the Moslem men came to their hospital for treatment because they had been hurt during the riots. They could not understand why the hosiptal was still standing. As it turns out, the leader was telling his men to move on, because they saw the buildings all in flames, yet the reality was, not one building was touched. Christians are working all over this earth, and sometimes a the very risk of loseing their own lives. Yet they do this not for themselves, but for God's Glory. And sometimes God shows His power in the most remarkable ways.

Please Mr.Campbell, please. The world can do without your christians doing gods work. Enough. Enough. your missionaries have done enough harm to others. Just leave us alone please. Leave us to our cultures, our religions and our misery. What ever that is wrong with us rest of the world, your intrusion only makes it worse.

Remain in your homes and enjoy your religion in your parishes. Enjoy, be happy, flourish and do well. Just let the rest of us also do the same in our own way without any need for enlightenment from your side or from your friend Terry and his wife. Ask them to stay home and do good there. Trust me, if there is a god, he'll be fine with that.

Please spare us your patronizing christian help. We'll manage. Thank you.
Campbell34

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 07:00 am
@Adam Bing,
Adam Bing;43428 wrote:
Please Mr.Campbell, please. The world can do without your christians doing gods work. Enough. Enough. your missionaries have done enough harm to others. Just leave us alone please. Leave us to our cultures, our religions and our misery. What ever that is wrong with us rest of the world, your intrusion only makes it worse.

Remain in your homes and enjoy your religion in your parishes. Enjoy, be happy, flourish and do well. Just let the rest of us also do the same in our own way without any need for enlightenment from your side or from your friend Terry and his wife. Ask them to stay home and do good there. Trust me, if there is a god, he'll be fine with that.

Please spare us your patronizing christian help. We'll manage. Thank you.

Mr. Bing, not everyone in this world has health care or has others rushing to their side to take care of them. If it were not for christian missionaries the suffering would be so much greater in so many other areas of the world. Please get the focus off of your idealistic vision, and consider how many children will be able to go to school for the first time, or have their medical needs provided for. You really need to stop putting cultures ahead of childs life. We are living in a changing world, and the needs of people are great. And Christians are making life so much better for so many, I'm sorry if Christians donot fit into your political correctness, but we are needed, and we will not stop helping the needy.