• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,985 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 12:42 am
@Doly,
No more outlandish than some other theories about UFOs .
0 Replies

Doly

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 12:43 am
@Doly,
Which means you don't believe in any of it at all?
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 12:47 am
@Doly,
I believe it is possible , of course , but not likely .
I think most sightings are made up in the minds of the sighters , usually explained away by better observations . I also believe we may have been or will be visited by aliens of some sort . Maybe it is because I read a lot of science fiction !
0 Replies

Doly

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 12:51 am
@Doly,
Well, at least you have an open mind. Who knows, maybe some day you might see something that can't be explained by other observations. :eek:
0 Replies

markx15

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 12:52 am
@Doly,
I wonder how literal it all is. To me it all seems like: The "angels" are the ones who already progressed enough to understand God and "his" universe. The "demons" are the ones begining their journey so they act abominally, but they will learn better. I had never thought of UFO's that way, but it is not as unreasonable as some of the theories that pop up.
0 Replies

Doly

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 11:26 am
@Doly,
I have tried reading the Bible, but so much of it doesn't make sense to me. For instance, when you get to the part in Genesis where Cain goes to the Land of Nod to take a wife. If Adam and Eve were the first people on earth and their only children were Cain and Abel, where did the people in Nod come from? Then you get to the sixth chapter of Genesis and it starts talking about angels marrying the daughters of man. It also talks about there being giants on the face of the earth in those days (more people not begot by Adam and Even) and they start bearing children with the daughters of man. Well, all of this makes God mad and he starts planning the great flood to wipe men off the face of the earth because he blames all this fornification on man (not the giants or the angels, I guess). Then there's the part where Moses goes up to the top of Mt. Sinai (sp?) to talk to God and sees him in the form of a burning bush. The people below can see a glow on top of the mountain and when Moses comes back down to the people, he is glowing. (Radiation from a space ship?) Then there's all manners of miracles performed by God and Jesus, with the biggest one of all being the resurrection of Jesus after he is killed on the cross. That one's hard to top. I'm sorry if I sound sacriligious, but it's hard to take the Bible at face value (or literally). So, I have my own interpretation of what I think went on back then and although I am spiritual, I do not adhere to any one religious doctrine because, as I have already said, most of this doesn't make any sense to me.
0 Replies

markx15

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 12:17 pm
@Doly,
I gave up reading the passages that make no sense, I try to stick to the New Testament.
0 Replies

Doly

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 12:34 pm
@Doly,
The Old Testament is the history of the Jews and their struggles. The New Testament is a history of the development of the Christian religion and the struggles of the Christians. The New Testament has a clear message regarding forgiveness and redemption of our sins. But the New Testament wouldn't have the impact it has without the Old Testament setting the stage.
0 Replies

Red cv

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 01:15 pm
@Doly,
I tried reading the Bible, but there was so many thee thy and thous that I got confused and irritated by the book. I believe there could be life out side of our planet.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 10:46 pm
@Doly,
The possibility of life outside our planet is to great to dismiss.
0 Replies

markx15

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2007 08:04 am
@Doly,
in an infinite universe the possibilities are also infinite, I am certain that there is life on other planets, what I am not so sure of is are they equally, more or less evolved than us?
reddstagg

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 06:55 pm
@markx15,
Firstly, there is no such thing as infinite probability when searching for something in an infinite universe there has to be a finite possibility... its Infinite monkey theorem(for arguments sake...i don't think the universe is infinite.. if its currently expanding infinity cant grow or shrink can it?... a different argument)
Quote:
something to ponder if you believe that Earth has been visited by other living beings

Okay onto the point:
How i understand it you... seem to be saying that Angels and Demons are infact Aliens?
Going out on a limb .... Whats to say that both don't exist?

I love all the many little 'coincidences' about the world that meant humans can survive on it, you cant look at us and say wow that was a total fluke of chance. That helps a little to accept God exists, from that i believe in the Christian theology that follows.

I always cringed at talk of the existence of Angels and Demons, but over summer i lead on a camp and i received a vision, and was under some heavy spiritual attack, the intertwining of the vision and the camp was pretty insane (I'm still skeptical about it)... while i havn't been visited by Angels or seen Demons, after that experience i cant rule them out.
(The Australian Anglican church isn't very charismatic, so its not something talked about that much)

However I've always found it easier to accept the existence of aliens, its easier to accept another highly evolved species within the limitless universe, a little harder to accept spiritual realms or dimensions. I find it easy to accept Mortal Aliens, I find it hard to be able to accept transcended extraterrestrial beings. While i do think there are other live forms, highly evolved lifeforms that are capable of interstellar travel seems unlikely, if such existed then we would have to argue that there are many more basic/simple or humanish lifeforms out there.

My favorite demon passage is Matthew 8:28-34.... I don't think if Aliens existed they would ask to be exorcised into pigs so they could kill them selfs.

The choice of verses are interesting, however i dont think they really support the case for aliens and are drawing literal conclusions out of literature written in a genre or style thats easy to interrupt like that.

Revelations= Apocalyptic writings are easy to draw alien conclusions from, I totally don't understand much of revelations, but i think you require a good understanding of the OT and NT to be able to grapple with the subtle keys and queues and undertones within revelations.

While i see what your saying, i think the verses don't really highlight anything in terms of aliens.... i mean if such events did occure why would the aliens declare that it was God or the Son of God?... or if a spaceship descended from the clouds, it would be such a huge fuss that it would have a book of the bible dedicated to it.
Drnaline

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 08:38 am
@Doly,
Great first post Reddstagg, you from Australia? [Edit]Never mind. i read the emailed version of your post and got the answer. May i ask why you don't like Americans? Youth Minister, a nobel cause.

Quote:
Firstly, there is no such thing as infinite probability when searching for something in an infinite universe there has to be a finite possibility... its Infinite monkey theorem(for arguments sake...i don't think the universe is infinite.. if its currently expanding infinity cant grow or shrink can it?... a different argument)

I forget what the study is called but to my knowledge it's already been proved as to the likelyhood of other lifeforms outhere, which was pretty high. I agree with most of what you say except i believe our universe is finite not infinite. For the universe to be expanding it has to come from a finite source. Some kind of massive energy release had to of ocured to keep what we see as our universe in a constant state of expansion. All the material in our universe had to of been confined inside this finite source before the explosion was triggered. And the Catrillion dollar question is "who pulled the trigger?" I like this line from your link.

Quote:
The theorem graphically illustrates the perils of reasoning about infinity by imagining a vast but finite number.
0 Replies

Ann cv

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 10:35 am
@Doly,
In Genesis, there is a line or two which says, 'and giants walked the earth with men' and another which says 'the daughters of men married the tall guys' Smile

Could be taken to mean dinosaurs and giants, difficult to tell, scholars have been trying to intrepret this for centuries.

However, yes, certainly I think we have been visited - who is to say how advanced other species may become, and be able to go through black holes, or around curved space, or through time itself (let alone the imaginative Warp Power)Smile

The trouble with so many people who have claimed to have seen aliens is that they are often of doubtful mental stability - or are attention seeking!

So it become a matter of sorting the wheat from the chaff.

Ann
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 12:13 pm
@Doly,
A lot of those quotes are from revelation, written by John of Patmos. At the time it was written, he was in exile on the island of Patmos. Therefore, his interpretation of whatever was happening could have easily been the only one if the battles were only seen on Patmos; few people to see them means less objectivity towards his view, so there could be more than meets the eye. I don't think that this is true, really, though.
0 Replies

JesusDiedForU

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 09:57 am
@Doly,
Doly;9721 wrote:

I believe UFO's are demons out to persuade the world away from Christ. I believe they will have much to do with the Antichrist as well. As we get we get closer to that day... more and more UFO activity will occur.
0 Replies

mousy

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 10:23 am
@Doly,
UFS

Unidentified flying spirits(shape shifters) with amazing speed:D
0 Replies

rhopper3

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 09:25 pm
@Doly,
Bring em on the world bores the hell out of me right now
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 07:27 am
@reddstagg,
reddstagg;11048 wrote:
I love all the many little 'coincidences' about the world that meant humans can survive on it, you cant look at us and say wow that was a total fluke of chance.

Except that the earth was here for millions of years before humans existed and we evolved to our enviroment.
0 Replies