This is what I have come to believe

chuckc cv

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 11:36 am
@Dmizer,
Certainly there are many differences concerning religious thought and many we could debate and maybe will later.

In terms of specific religion, I do not agree with ALL doctrine of one specific religious philosophy. Therefore I cannot wholeheartedly commit to one religion. I have read some items concerning the majority of religious ideas.

My family history does include religious teachings and doctrine. That religious doctrine was my introduction to spirituality, but does not define my entire belief system.

If I could describe what I believe:

Well, universally, I do believe in something larger than myself. I cannot deny the evidence nor can I deny my personal experiences, these experiences I can attribute to the Divine (no religious reference, just my word for now)

In terms of humanity, I believe there are two kinds of people in this world.

Those who would do harm to humanity.

Those who whose actions benefit humanity.

I try to live according to the latter. This is my core belief concerning mankind.

I look forward to reading replies later. For now I must sign of.

best wishes
z0z0

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 09:02 pm
@chuckc cv,
There is an Indian story about 6 blind men touching an elephant. Since each man only touches a certain part of the elephant each one has a different opinion of what the creature really is - since they can't touch the whole elephant.

Maybe mankind is the same - we each touch a different part of God and from there we extrapolate. unfortunately the extrapolation for each religion is different.

We all might be worshipping the same God - but we see a different aspect and we all argue that the part of God that we see is more special than the part of God the other guys see.

Which religion has their hand on the elephant's a*shole?
0 Replies

chuckc cv

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 10:59 pm
@Dmizer,
Maybe mankind is the same - we each touch a different part of God and from there we extrapolate. unfortunately the extrapolation for each religion is different. "

great story and I agree with you.

Which religion has their hand on the elephant's a*shole?"

I have no answer for this. But am interested in hearing your answer.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 09:20 am
@Dmizer,
I'd say Islam would be at the asshole or somewhere close, out of all of the religions. My opinion, not to offend.
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 02:49 pm
@chuckc cv,
Yes - but I wonder what the a*shole of God would look like - ha ha ha
I wonder if God's sh*t stinks
Greatest I am cv

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 01:14 pm
@z0z0,
z0z0;14058 wrote:
Yes - but I wonder what the a*shole of God would look like - ha ha ha
I wonder if God's sh*t stinks

If as the Bible says, we are all children of God, all you need is a mirror and a nose to answer all your questions.

Regards
DL
0 Replies

pilgrim

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 02:45 pm
@Dmizer,
It seems to me that everyone here seems to think that God is an ingredient in religion which can be manipulated to fit a definition agreeable to all. If that's true then none of us need a silly old god. I propose that God is independent of religion.

Just suppose that a supernatural being DID create this world. If so, then any theistic religion is the acknowledgment of that greater being whether or not it acknowledges the character of the actual supernatural personality that did the deed. Also, IF we are created by a specific being (lets just call this personality "God" without trying to step on anyone's toes), then maybe our search for the best religion should be focused on what best pleases the god who made us rather than the people doing the worshiping. Isn't finding a religion that everyone can agree on backward from the way it ought to be?
Greatest I am cv

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 03:19 pm
@pilgrim,
pilgrim;19511 wrote:
It seems to me that everyone here seems to think that God is an ingredient in religion which can be manipulated to fit a definition agreeable to all. If that's true then none of us need a silly old god. I propose that God is independent of religion.

Just suppose that a supernatural being DID create this world. If so, then any theistic religion is the acknowledgment of that greater being whether or not it acknowledges the character of the actual supernatural personality that did the deed. Also, IF we are created by a specific being (lets just call this personality "God" without trying to step on anyone's toes), then maybe our search for the best religion should be focused on what best pleases the god who made us rather than the people doing the worshiping. Isn't finding a religion that everyone can agree on backward from the way it ought to be?

We may be 3/4 of the way there already. Christians do not name their God, Allah means God and the list just needs completion.

Regards
DL
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 03:39 pm
@chuckc cv,
I need the certainty of a historical religion. I need Jesus. I live to imitate Him, as enfeebled as I will always be in that effort. If I couldn't be a Christian, I'd probably be a Jew, as Judaism is another historical religion.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 03:01 pm
@Dmizer,
Quote:

God needs religion to spread His will, religion is just an organized and fixed way of worshiping Him in a way we think will please Him.
0 Replies

Greatest I am cv

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 02:29 pm
@chuckc cv,
We need God to justify us.
God needs us to justify Him.
When these two come together then we will have found our one true God.

I believe that the Bible is our best road map and that Jesus is our best guide.

The Bible is not to be read literally and if it is then you see a God who is a looser.

He is not. He is Perfect and only does perfect works including you and I.

Regards
DL
0 Replies