Curmudgeon

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 09:01 pm
@Dmizer,
Very nicely written , Dmizer .
0 Replies

markx15

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 09:28 am
@Dmizer,
Here is something I found very interesting, if you haven't already read it I recomend this light read:
http://www.earlymoderntexts.com/pdf/leibuo.pdf
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 08:33 pm
@Dmizer,
Wise is the man who knows he's never done learning.
0 Replies

Dmizer

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 01:59 pm
@Dmizer,
Why is it that those who exhibit the worst judgement, are the most insistent that they be listened to? -----just a an observation I had at work today!
0 Replies

pilgrim

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 10:46 pm
@Dmizer,
You are a true agnostic! Some who claim the title use it as a thin mask for a weak, lazy, & ill-used mind. But many claim other religious identities to the same end.

Perhaps our notion of God is too small rather than too big. Perhaps the unchanging laws of physics and movement of the earth, stars, and galaxies are, in fact, evidence of God's perpetual intervention in the physical world rather than proof against it.
0 Replies

markx15

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 09:59 am
@Dmizer,
Or maybe not, there is our dilemma.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 01:44 pm
@Dmizer,
Why should we try so hard to understand God? There are so many things that are hard to understand, and God, almost by definition, is impossible to understand.
0 Replies

chuckc cv

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 10:41 pm
@Dmizer,
True. I think, trying to understand God is quite impossible. If we tried to define God in human words, could we simply state - love?
0 Replies

markx15

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 01:41 am
@Dmizer,
I think the only human word that can define God is God.
chuckc cv

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 06:34 am
@markx15,
markx15;13932 wrote:
I think the only human word that can define God is God.

Great. So simple, yet profound.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 07:06 am
@Dmizer,
True, but will everyone ever be satisfied with any definition of the wor God itself? I agree we should stick to this word, and explain how God has interacted with us. God is love, as you say, but isn't God also justice? God is many different things.
0 Replies

chuckc cv

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 07:26 am
@Dmizer,
I believe that is true when speaking of everyone and their satisfaction. And yes, I think, many 1 word descriptions can attempt to define God.

But, I further theorize, if worldwide God could be defined in simple human terms could that possibly lead to religous tolerance? Which could possibly lead to resolving major worldwide conflicts. Somehow, I think, in the most broadest of terms, religious intolerance is poisoning the global community.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 07:28 am
@Dmizer,
No. That could never happen. I would not want it to happen. it would cause more conflict. No religions would cooperate to do this. If other people than the religious did it, there would be riots in the streets, even with passive Christians.
0 Replies

chuckc cv

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 09:45 am
@Dmizer,
Please explain further.....How exactly would defining God in simple terms, so that all could understand, cause more conflict? Why would there be riots? Why would passive Christians be hesitant then participate?
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 09:50 am
@Dmizer,
I'm saying that Christians are usually more passive about attacks on their faith, but would not be.

There are few similarities between the major religions of Islam, Christianity, and Hinduism. To say something like this about a single God existing in each would to be to attempt the impossible. It would be like making a world religion that we all mmust follow. No one would attempt the task.
0 Replies

chuckc cv

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 10:28 am
@Dmizer,
No, i think there is some confusion here.

I do not advocate a one world religion philosophy at all. A world with only one religion would be rather limited. Just a common definition we can all agree on, I think we are talking about defining God, not religion, right?
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 10:34 am
@Dmizer,
But we would have to follow this one God, right, in effect creating that one world religion. There are too many differences among religious people to make an agreement about God's nature.
0 Replies

chuckc cv

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 10:44 am
@Dmizer,
No. We would not. No religious thought would be forced on anyone.

My theory:

"Defining religious teachings in simple, common human terms may led to increasing religious tolerance amongst people"

Practically, if specific religious leaders could do this, it could lead to an greater global understanding. I would further propose that individuals could accomplish the same thing.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 10:57 am
@Dmizer,
Yes, but as I said, this could not happen. It is impossible to reconcile religions and make one common definition. The very fact that religions are and must be more complicated than this is the sign of their legitimacy, IMO. There are too many differences to do this. i won't get into specific theological definitions for each faith, but.

BTW, what is your religion, just to clarify many things around here?
0 Replies