The Vatican agrees: No to Intelligent Design in schools

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 09:07 pm
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/19/science/sciencespecial2/19evolution.html?th&emc=th

Read up boys and girls. The mighty Vatican hath spoken.

I agree, ID should be left out of school. Instead of pushing legislation that puts fairy tails into our public school system. If there is a problem with the way that evolution is currently being taught in High Schools this needs to be addressed appropriately, not buy adding to the problem by teaching kids something that is even more impossible to prove.

Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,985 • Replies: 25
No top replies

ndjs

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 09:32 pm
@Brent cv,
Who cares what the Vatican says?
Brent cv

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 09:37 pm
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:
Who cares what the Vatican says?

Millions and Millions of people.....
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 09:39 pm
@Brent cv,
****, I'll start a church and declare myself the leader. Give my church several generations and we'll be powerful, then just because somebody at some point decided they were going to be holier-than-thou, people should care what we say?
Drnaline

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 09:40 pm
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/19/science/sciencespecial2/19evolution.html?th&emc=th

Read up boys and girls. The mighty Vatican hath spoken.

I agree, ID should be left out of school. Instead of pushing legislation that puts fairy tails into our public school system. If there is a problem with the way that evolution is currently being taught in High Schools this needs to be addressed appropriately, not buy adding to the problem by teaching kids something that is even more impossible to prove.

Smile
Left out of school or left out of science class? Fairy tales, believe the one about the Big Bang? You only care about evolution in high school, what about middle school and after high? More impossible, Caused or uncaused/cause?
Brent cv

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 09:56 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline wrote:
Left out of school or left out of science class? Fairy tales, believe the one about the Big Bang? You only care about evolution in high school, what about middle school and after high? More impossible, Caused or uncaused/cause?

I do not believe in the Big Bang, it can not be proven, I was never taught that it was the truth. I guess I was lucky to have good teachers throught my life?

I believe in what I can see with my own two eyes and I make educated guesses about the rest. I see nothing that shows me that there is a God that rules over us.

I see poverty, I see hate, I see miserable people living out their lives with no hope because society will not give them a chance.

No matter how you throw the dice not everyone can be rich in America even if everyone gave 100%

Our economy is not setup that way. Our economy is setup to have poor people, middle income people, and the bill gates. You can not sit there and tell me everyone has the same oppurtunity to make something of themselves.

To take a happy family and tear it apart with pain of the tragic death of a loved one is not something a compassionate God does.

My Dad's cousin was just killed in a car wreck. She leaves behind her beautiful daughter and husband. She meant the world to them and now she is gone.

Sorry you can chalk it up to lack of faith in the invisible if you want but that's bullshit in my eyes.

In my opinion they are fairy tails. Some of it may can be proven vaguely. Some of it may of happened. Not the magical healings and the sending of the son to die on the cross. That's just crap in my book.

I like to think of myself as an observant person and from what I have observed this is what I have come up with regarding religion.

1) 90% of the time you are what you are raised. Were you raised a baptist and taken to church everyday from the time you knew what a church were? I bet you are a baptist still and I bet you have that same strong belief today only because your parents fed you that all your life. It is all you know!

2) You came into the Church because of friends. It's a comfort zone for most. It provides them with friends that will atleast smile to your face and be kind to you in person. They have to act like they care you know, cause that's what their parents and "God" wants.

Now I am not telling you why you are the way you are (Generally speaking not to a specific person) but I am merely stating my obvservation from the years of my life in the Church of Christ.

I was not raised to be tolerant of others believes. I was raised Church of Christ or be damned. I was riased with a grandmother that used Nigger to talk about Black people and who I have still heard use that term today.

Maybe I just had a bad experience with the Church but that is still beside the point that I do not believe in super natural beings deciding where I go when I die based on whether I sucked up to the big guy in the sky through my life.

I know the Church is corrupted by money and that does not reflect "God" but who does reflect "God"? A book? I am suppose to believe in a book?

While the advice may be good and if everyone lived by the "Golden Rule" this country would be such a nice place to live.. I just can not see putting faith into paper that has been translated countless times since the beginning.

/rant
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 10:08 pm
@Brent cv,
Quote:
I do not believe in the Big Bang, it can not be proven, I was never taught that it was the truth. I guess I was lucky to have good teachers throught my life?

But it is very scientific isn't it? Taught in scince class and it can't be proven?

Quote:
I believe in what I can see with my own two eyes and I make educated guesses about the rest. I see nothing that shows me that there is a God that rules over us.

Then you don't believe in Gravity?

Quote:
I see poverty, I see hate, I see miserable people living out their lives with no hope because society will not give them a chance.
Keep waiting for a chance while the world passes you by. Your chance comes up when you stand up.

Quote:
No matter how you throw the dice not everyone can be rich in America even if everyone gave 100%

Never try, then what are your chances?
Quote:
Our economy is not setup that way. Our economy is setup to have poor people, middle income people, and the bill gates. You can not sit there and tell me everyone has the same oppurtunity to make something of themselves.

You can thank Demos for that.
Quote:
To take a happy family and tear it apart with pain of the tragic death of a loved one is not something a compassionate God does

You blame god for that, who pulled the trigger?

Sorry you have had such a bad life. Religion is not your ememy. You are. Take it for what it is worth. Your young yet, there is still time to come to your senses.
Brent cv

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 10:48 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline wrote:
But it is very scientific isn't it? Taught in scince class and it can't be proven?

It is taught in science because it is offered with scientific explanation

Quote:

Then you don't believe in Gravity?

That is where the educated guess comes in I guess Wink I jump and I fall down. Hince that leads me to believe that Gravity does exist. I can feel wind blowing. I can conclude that wind exists. I can breath. I can confirm that air exists.

Quote:

Keep waiting for a chance while the world passes you by. Your chance comes up when you stand up.

I am waiting for no such chance. However I have been given oppurtunity based on my parents outcome to do what I want to do. Oppurtunity is not there for everyone.

Quote:

Never try, then what are your chances?

I never said anything about not trying. I do know that if everyone in this country strived to be a millionaire and put 110% into this effort our economy would collapse Wink What millionaire is going to fix your burger at BK?

Quote:

You can thank Demos for that.

Is there anything the republicans can do wrong? How can the republicans create an economy where if everyone put 110% hard work into thier life they could live like Bill Gates? Are you ready to sacrifice the "American Way" for this?

Quote:

You blame god for that, who pulled the trigger?

I blame God for nothing because he doesn't exist Wink What trigger is it you speak of? She was killed in a car accident.

Quote:

Sorry you have had such a bad life. Religion is not your ememy. You are. Take it for what it is worth. Your young yet, there is still time to come to your senses.

My life is far from bad and that is not how I wanted my response to come across. My experience with religion however was. I have a great life. Very happy with it. I just have my problems with religion.

I don't look forward to the day that coming to my senses means believing in something that doesn't exist Smile
Brent cv

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 12:10 am
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:
****, I'll start a church and declare myself the leader. Give my church several generations and we'll be powerful, then just because somebody at some point decided they were going to be holier-than-thou, people should care what we say?

lol never said it was right, just stating millions do care what he has to say.

Anyway not trying to step on any toes here just trying to get some ideas flowing on this subject Smile
0 Replies

NaterG

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 04:05 am
@Brent cv,
Well, this is a very touchy subject for me, as I have very strong beliefs that I myslef have have formed, based on what I was tought, what I have read, and what I have chosen to learn. I believe in God, I believe in Jesus, I believe in the Bible. I believe God sent his son Jesus as the sacrificial lamb to die on the cross for ALL of our sins, and the only way you can get into heaven is truly believing and accepting Juses into your life. I did this as an 11 year old. I made the choice, and I understood fully what it meant and what it entailed. I am by no means perfect, but I know where I am going when I die. It is called faith. My faith was formed, not by what someone told me, but by what I have experienced in my life. Now, the Catholic church. I don't even want to get started but let me say I think they are all crazy and have veered so far away from what is important it is sad. Intelligent Design. Simpley put, I think it is only fair to teach both sides of the story. I, in no way, believe in the Theory of Evolution. Yet I was taught that all through school. Now, that being said, it was alway taught as a THEORY, with a few small pieces of questionable evidence here and there, but never was it taught to me as fact. However, I don't believe I was ever once taught anything remotely resembling ID, be it by God, or a "greater power" or aliens (absurd as it may be), as a theory or otherwise. I feel that it is not fair, and here is why. When you are growing up, you are taught to hear both sides of the story before you make a decision/judgement. In History, there are certain accounts that conflict, and usually you are taught both sides. Math, you are taught different ways to solve the same problem. English, there is an exception to everything, and you are taught them. Grammer, there are different ways to pronounce, even spell some words, and you are taught all of those as well. So why can't the same be true in science class.

Anyway, I kind of whent all over the place with that, but hopefully its clear enough to show my viewpoint.
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 11:42 am
@Brent cv,
Evolution is in no way taught as a theory at institutes of higher education, at least not at UAB. I should know, I'm a biology major and have been listening to it for the past year and a half.
Brent cv

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 08:31 pm
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:
Evolution is in no way taught as a theory at institutes of higher education, at least not at UAB. I should know, I'm a biology major and have been listening to it for the past year and a half.

So they teach it as fact then? So to do so they need to back it up with actual scientific evidence?

Nate, teaching ID in a science class is not appropriate imo. ID has nothing to do with science and can not be supported by science. Evolution does happen and can be proven in todays life. Now whether we came from Monkies or not that is not what is important. Evolution exists in some form and can be proven with science.

Why teach ID in a science class???? How does that fit?
NaterG

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 09:12 pm
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
So they teach it as fact then? So to do so they need to back it up with actual scientific evidence?

Nate, teaching ID in a science class is not appropriate imo. ID has nothing to do with science and can not be supported by science. Evolution does happen and can be proven in todays life. Now whether we came from Monkies or not that is not what is important. Evolution exists in some form and can be proven with science.

Why teach ID in a science class???? How does that fit?

Long read, but basically it says creation adheres to scientific fact. Its basically notes from a lecture of some doctor, but it gets the point across.

http://www.nwcreation.net/presentations/Heinz_Lycklama/scicreat_files/frame.htm

Here is the guys site: http://www.nwcreation.net/presentations/Heinz_Lycklama/

Large resource of Science and Creation. http://www.nwcreation.net/presentations/

Quote:
How intelligent design theory works:

i. Observation:
The ways that intelligent agents act can be observed in the natural world and described. When intelligent agents act, it is observed that they produce high levels of "complex-specified information" (CSI). CSI is basically a scenario which is unlikely to happen (making it complex), and conforms to a pattern (making it specified). Language and machines are good examples of things with much CSI. From our understanding of the world, high levels of CSI are always the product of intelligent design.24

ii. Hypothesis:
If an object in the natural world was designed, then we should be able to examine that object and find the same high levels of CSI in the natural world as we find in human-designed objects.

iii. Experiment:
We can examine biological structures to test if high CSI exists. When we look at natural objects in biology, we find many machine-like structures which are specified, because they have a particular arrangement of parts which is necessary for them to function, and complex because they have an unlikely arrangement of many interacting parts. These biological machines are "irreducibly complex," for any change in the nature or arrangement of these parts would destroy their function. Irreducibly complex structures cannot be built up through an alternative theory, such as Darwinian evolution, because Darwinian evolution requires that a biological structure be functional along every small-step of its evolution. "Reverse engineering" of these structures shows that they cease to function if changed even slightly.

iv. Conclusion:
Because they exhibit high levels of CSI, a quality known to be produced only by intelligent design, and because there is no other known mechanism to explain the origin of these "irreducibly complex" biological structures, we conclude that they were intelligently designed.

Taken from http://acs.ucsd.edu/~idea/idscireli.htm

Creation (IE intelligant design) is a Science.
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 01:19 am
@Brent cv,
Yeah, they teach us facts, or what they call facts anyways, about evolution. Yeah, I believe in evolution, to a point. It's hard for me to believe that i came from the same piece of **** that created the virus that's made me sick for a week.

Why do we have need for a beginning?
Brent cv

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 01:56 am
@ndjs,
ndjs wrote:
Yeah, they teach us facts, or what they call facts anyways, about evolution. Yeah, I believe in evolution, to a point. It's hard for me to believe that i came from the same piece of **** that created the virus that's made me sick for a week.

Why do we have need for a beginning?

Curosity... kinda wanna know how we came into existence.
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 02:12 am
@Brent cv,
I don't particularly care. I'm as curious as they come, but I know where I personally came from, I understand that process. I don't care what happened 11ty billion times up the line ago. It's not like we can affect it anyways.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 10:31 am
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:

That is where the educated guess comes in I guess Wink I jump and I fall down. Hince that leads me to believe that Gravity does exist. I can feel wind blowing. I can conclude that wind exists. I can breath. I can confirm that air exists.

I am waiting for no such chance. However I have been given oppurtunity based on my parents outcome to do what I want to do. Oppurtunity is not there for everyone.

I never said anything about not trying. I do know that if everyone in this country strived to be a millionaire and put 110% into this effort our economy would collapse Wink What millionaire is going to fix your burger at BK?

Is there anything the republicans can do wrong? How can the republicans create an economy where if everyone put 110% hard work into thier life they could live like Bill Gates? Are you ready to sacrifice the "American Way" for this?

I blame God for nothing because he doesn't exist Wink What trigger is it you speak of? She was killed in a car accident.

My life is far from bad and that is not how I wanted my response to come across. My experience with religion however was. I have a great life. Very happy with it. I just have my problems with religion.

I don't look forward to the day that coming to my senses means believing in something that doesn't exist Smile
Quote:

By your own definition, it should not be taught. An explanation is an interpritation of the facts. Which cannot be proven therefore should not be taught or included. Your giving one a pass but not the other. Using your reasoning we can include ID if we offer scienceific explanation?

Quote:
That is where the educated guess comes in I guess Wink I jump and I fall down. Hince that leads me to believe that Gravity does exist.

It leads you to believe but you have no proof. One mans guess is anothers falicy.

Quote:
I am waiting for no such chance. However I have been given oppurtunity based on my parents outcome to do what I want to do. Oppurtunity is not there for everyone. [/qoute]
It is nice to of had opportunity handed to you. But for those without such an advantasge you must manufacture your chance. Opportunity is there for every one who can recognized it when it happens not if it happens.

Quote:

I think there have been many millionaires that flipped burgers. You gotta start some where. The cirlcle of life always keeps it stocked with workers trying to make it. Why would you work period if not to perpetuate you life. If it takes a million than you better try and make a million and so on.

Quote:

Sure there is plenty we can do wrong, we are human too. The repugs can try and creat this and in a perfect world maybe succeed. But perfect it is not therefore no need to worry. You might have a valid point it every one tried it at the same time and every one also stopped having kids where there would not be anyone to start the whole process again. I did sacrifice alot for what I have and it was all in the process of the American way, that is how i know it works.

Quote:

Well if you follow the sciencific approach. Your forced to believe that for every action there is an equal and opposing reaction. You must not believe in this theory? Our universe is not static, it is in fact expanting. What force would have to be generated to propell this kind of expansion? Science says these days that all the matter that we see in our universe was condensed to a finite mass smaller then a needle head. Before the Big Bang they also think that the time/space continuem had not existed then either. No universe, no time , no space. Then on one specific day a Trigger released all the energy that we see. Given our scientific rule of action/reaction some thing or some one had to provide a force to realise the force we see. My question to you is what do you think that force was? Try and be very scienctific with your explanation, if you can? I don't know or no opinion isn't scientific! You've had an agressive opinion up to now about a higher being but this is where most atheist/agnostics clam up when this far into a debate? Is a higher force/being possible? Was our universe Caused or uncaused? I know the answer but will you admit to it? If you will not your whole premise put on science is now bunk!
Brent cv

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 06:53 pm
@Brent cv,
My point was that there were not millionaires that did not flip burgers.

My point is is that oppurtunity is simply not there for everyone to make a million dollars.

It is quite obvious that everyone in America's economy can all achieve a goal of becoming a millionaire.

If everyone was that wealthy no one would take care of the bitch jobs no one wants.

Therefore Americas economy relies on there being poor people in this Country period
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 06:57 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline wrote:
By your own definition, it should not be taught. An explanation is an interpritation of the facts. Which cannot be proven therefore should not be taught or included. Your giving one a pass but not the other. Using your reasoning we can include ID if we offer scienceific explanation?

It leads you to believe but you have no proof. One mans guess is anothers falicy.

Quote:
I am waiting for no such chance. However I have been given oppurtunity based on my parents outcome to do what I want to do. Oppurtunity is not there for everyone. [/qoute]
It is nice to of had opportunity handed to you. But for those without such an advantasge you must manufacture your chance. Opportunity is there for every one who can recognized it when it happens not if it happens.

I think there have been many millionaires that flipped burgers. You gotta start some where. The cirlcle of life always keeps it stocked with workers trying to make it. Why would you work period if not to perpetuate you life. If it takes a million than you better try and make a million and so on.

Sure there is plenty we can do wrong, we are human too. The repugs can try and creat this and in a perfect world maybe succeed. But perfect it is not therefore no need to worry. You might have a valid point it every one tried it at the same time and every one also stopped having kids where there would not be anyone to start the whole process again. I did sacrifice alot for what I have and it was all in the process of the American way, that is how i know it works.

Well if you follow the sciencific approach. Your forced to believe that for every action there is an equal and opposing reaction. You must not believe in this theory? Our universe is not static, it is in fact expanting. What force would have to be generated to propell this kind of expansion? Science says these days that all the matter that we see in our universe was condensed to a finite mass smaller then a needle head. Before the Big Bang they also think that the time/space continuem had not existed then either. No universe, no time , no space. Then on one specific day a Trigger released all the energy that we see. Given our scientific rule of action/reaction some thing or some one had to provide a force to realise the force we see. My question to you is what do you think that force was? Try and be very scienctific with your explanation, if you can? I don't know or no opinion isn't scientific! You've had an agressive opinion up to now about a higher being but this is where most atheist/agnostics clam up when this far into a debate? Is a higher force/being possible? Was our universe Caused or uncaused? I know the answer but will you admit to it? If you will not your whole premise put on science is now bunk!

Ok let me clear somethings up.

First off it is my concern that the ID fanatics want not only to remove the "Big Bang Theory" from our schools they wish to make the word "evolution" a bad word to be used when in fact this can be seen even today.

I do not know where we came from. You want to argue there must be something present to cause the reaction, well in your mind a "God" existed.

Who the hell created God? I mean seriously come on, you mock people who believe in the Big Bang theory while you believe a god just thought himself into existence?

You can not call the first crazy without calling that belief crazy as well.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 07:58 pm
@Brent cv,
I know not of anyone in the ID field that is trying to abolish the Big Bang theory. Do you have an example? I am talking about what todays scienctists theorize our origins are. There theory have forced many that were atheist/agnostic in the field to now believe that there is/was a force that caused this. And now believe in a higher being. Einstein was one.

If you believe the reaction theory i don't have to argue about our universe, it is fact and i think you have to agree. But have yet to answer? And pending your answer i would like your opinion on the cause? Because to be scientific there had to be one. If you think not, then you don't believe in one of the first rules of science? If you don't believe in that how am i to take your other premise that we arrived where we are today because of chance happenings from primordial soup?

Quote:
Who the hell created God?

Answer the first question before you start jumping in line. Caused or uncaused? Why would you say i mock people that believe in the BB when i am one of them? To me that proves there is a god. I believe he was the trigger that created all our existence. If you want to call it an alien lifeforce or the purple spagetti monster thats fine too. But the fact remains that we did come from somewhere. Do you have a better explanation then what are scientists believe today?