Forms of Logic - Continuation

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 07:43 pm
kennethamy wrote:

de Silentio wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

de Silentio wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

We can draw further conclusions from predicate logic because predicate logic goes further into detail. (But Aristotelian logic is just an elemantary version of predicate logic). But it is not that we can draw different conclusions from predicate logic, only further conclusions. There is a difference.

What is the difference?

We can draw the same conclusions from predicate logic as we can from classical logic. And, in addition, we can draw further conclusions.

I meant what is the difference between "further conclusions" and "different conclusions". It seems to me that when there is further information in the conclusion, the conclusion is different.

For example, the conclusions: (C1) "The dog is going to bite" and (C2) "The dog with red hair is going to bite" seem like different conclusions to me, even though (C2) merely has further information. ( (C1) would represent Propositional Logic while (C2) would represent Predicate Logic)

No, two people can draw the same conclusion, and then one of them can draw a further conclusion different from the conclusion they both drew before. But this is really trivial stuff, and has nothing whatever to do with the main topic. There are digressions, and then there are digression. This is the latter.

Sorry, I'm trying to learn. Would you mind replying in a little more detail now that we are no longer off topic?

How is it that "further conclusion different from the conclusion they both drew before" not a different conclusion?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 963 • Replies: 0
No top replies