How to...

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 07:46 am
I know it sounds crazy; however, I know that there are certain things that viruses can do that regular scripts and such can't do (at least, with all my research anyway) like totally locking a file so that it's REALLY hard to get rid of it.

I need to (on purpose) lock a certain file when it gets downloaded from the server. How would I go about finding how a virus would accomplish this and then make it happen on that file alone (not every file in system, only on certain file...period)?

Does this make sense? I hope I'm explaining what I need to do clearly. If you have any suggestions, please contact me here.

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,219 • Replies: 4
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 07:52 am
sounds pretty dodgy to me.
wrstrong

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 09:34 am
@dadpad,
Not really. I want to make sure that what's downloaded from my server to the client machine (will be an image ultimately) to NOT be able to be modified. When you click the download link, the OPEN feature allows you to view (and then modify) the image and save as whatever you want. I only want the image to be able to have its name changed, never able to be modified. Does that make sense? (It's a watermarking issue.)
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 03:28 pm
@wrstrong,
wrstrong wrote:
Does this make sense?

No. What makes a program a virus is not it's ability to do anything unique to "lock" down files but it's ability to self-replicate and spread.

Also, they don't do anything special to "lock" files, they usually just put them back if they are removed etc.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 03:29 pm
@wrstrong,
wrstrong wrote:
I only want the image to be able to have its name changed, never able to be modified. Does that make sense? (It's a watermarking issue.)

No, you can't control the image on their computers.
0 Replies